Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2443438 - 10/05/12 12:53 PM OT: Please take a minute . . .
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
My buddy Jim Baer passed away, just the other night, after a long, long run of ill health. This was someone I'd known for over thirty years, and even though he was never a musician, Jim deserves a mention in this Forum, and here's why.

Jim was the kind of guy who'd come over and help you haul your equipment, because he had a big old Ford LTD Wagon that would carry just about anything, and he liked being part of whatever his friends were doing, especially music.

If your band had a gig nearby, Jim would round up 15, or 20, or 30 friends to come out and see you, so you'd always have an audience. It didn't matter what kind of music you played, if you were Jim's friend, you had friends and fans.

If there was a concert or a show everyone wanted to see, Jim would fill up the LTD, with as many folks as it would hold, and take everybody. We once drove 200 miles, to see The Who in concert, with the whole wagon packed, and drove back the same night, after the show.

If you were down and out, Jim would give you a place to crash, help you find a job, whatever it took to get you on your feet, and very often that meant coming up with a concert or movie ticket for someone who couldn't afford to come along, otherwise.

Jim was more than a friend, or a music fan, he was a fellow participant, someone who helped drive the bus, so others could enjoy the ride, too - I can't put it any better than that.

Please don't feel badly for me, that's not what this post is about. What I would really ask everyone here in the Forum to do, if you've ever had a friend like Jim, is to call them, or write them, or send them an email, to please take a minute to value that friend and that relationship, while you can. You never know . . .

Much love to everyone here, and thanks.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

GP Island
#2443443 - 10/05/12 01:13 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Sounds like a really great guy that I couldn't have helped but like immensely; and your point is well taken.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2443452 - 10/05/12 01:25 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island
My condolences Winston. Where would the world be without people like Jim. Wherever he is he's helping.

#2443453 - 10/05/12 01:52 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Junior 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I wish there were more like Jim out there, this world would be a better place...keep his memory alive Winston...

#2443461 - 10/05/12 02:34 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Larryz]
Happy Birthday SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I have a few friends like Jim. It is good to appreciate the true value of someone that always conducts themselves in selfless ways... especially in this "whats in it for me" world.
I'm sorry for your loss Winston... I have a feeling that you are probably alot like Jim yourself.

Edited by SEHpicker (10/05/12 02:35 PM)

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2443465 - 10/05/12 02:54 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: SEHpicker]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
All I can say is ....WOW, what a great friend you all had.
May GOD bless and comfort all family and friends.

Yeah, I've had a couple of friends like that and you're right....you can usually count them on one hand in your lifetime.

My sincere condolences to you Winston...and a fine tribute you gave.

Randy

#2443511 - 10/05/12 07:28 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Strategery]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
He was good people.

#2443522 - 10/05/12 09:24 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Very sorry to hear of Jim's passing. Sounds like he was one super guy.

#2443526 - 10/05/12 09:52 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: Fred_C]
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

It's always a sad day when good people leave us. My condolences on the loss of your close buddy Jim. We need more Jim's in this world.

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I canít quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

#2443639 - 10/06/12 03:58 PM Re: OT: Please take a minute . . . [Re: 02R96]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I don't know anybody like Jim. Most of all ME. His sounds like the character we ALL should strive for, and whenever if or when I can, I'll try my best.

It's more than your loss or even his family's loss. This is a huge loss for humanity.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose