Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2442601 - 10/02/12 08:49 AM The elusive, mysterious popular song
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Have you ever listened to some song that seems to be the "big hit" that's heard everywhere, used in promotions or has the artist of it show up on every talk show and entertainment program and wonder, "WHY is THAT chunk of crap such a HIT"?

More than once, you say? Yeah, me too.

So, HOW do seemingly "chunks of crap" capture the national adoration and overwhelming favor of the masses?

Oh, I know several will try to explain by using terms like "hook" or "emotional appeal" and such, but it does little to unravel the mystery. "Hooks" are nothing new. You can hear them in even some of the oldest yet well recognized classical pieces like Beethoven''s Fifth, Tchaikowsky's "1812" and much of Mozart. But a "hook" doesn't guarantee a song is going to be good. It seems that no matter how sappy and schmaltzy a song is(James Blunt's "Beautiful"), or how pointless and uninspired it sounds(Ga-Ga's "Poker Face"), some songs rise to the top of popularity while other better written, creatively structured and musically superior sounding songs get left by the roadside.

It's always puzzled me, and I know it must others. If I were a frustrated songwriter, performer or struggling recording artist, this might sound like a vent. But strictly as a music LISTENER, it STILL astounds me. I wonder if it's just the good luck of putting something out there at the right time? Extensive hype? Who you know?

WHAT???
Whitefang

GP Island
#2442615 - 10/02/12 09:21 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: whitefang]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
Being only a novice....my opinion is only...just that. wink

But this subject has come up before here and in private conversations and actually, I saw someone discussing this in a Bio on TV not too long ago.

Story telling, honesty, build up, musicianship....knowing when to play and when not....in general...APPEAL.

Plus, when you get into the CRAP territory...one man's crap is another man's hit.
So...I guess it's just taste or the lack thereof by the general public.
Remember, most listeners are NOT musicians.

We musicians are so critical of every litte note of a song where as most people wouldn't even detect them.

Even CRAP can be HONEST and that in itself sometimes can be alluring and you'll catch yourself tapping your feet. wink

To be honest....it's MAGIC!
That's what music is all about and not being able to put your finger on it and define it....is the mystery that keeps things interesting.
Like finding those musicians to form a band and none of you have anything in common but together....you just mesh and make really good music.

For me...I don't want to know the answer.
To do so would take the fun out of it. wink rawk

Randy

#2442619 - 10/02/12 09:38 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Strategery]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quote:
But a "hook" doesn't guarantee a song is going to be good.

No, but it DOES make sure that more and more people will want to give it a chance. A good hook makes a song accessible.

Which is why- regardless of musical merit- pop stars' albums go platinum and jazz artists' albums go wood.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/02/12 09:38 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2442623 - 10/02/12 09:48 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Strategery]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
"Don't try to understand it, just rope roll and brand it"

the example of James Blunt is a good one...I don't care for his stuff and wouldn't walk across the street to see him if you gave me free tickets in the front row...but, I admit he appeals to a lot of people and they love his music. It always amazes me to watch the teeny boppers on the Today show mouthing all the lyrics to songs I've never heard before...or the old Doo Woppers on KVIE doing the same thing on songs I may have heard once in a blue moon (pun intended). One man's crap is another man's treasure... idk

Edited by Larryz (10/02/12 09:49 AM)

#2442629 - 10/02/12 10:14 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Location, location, location...

Or, paraphrased, backing, promotion and distribution...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2442632 - 10/02/12 10:21 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Actually this question dates back centuries, and not just in music..... why do some works hit a chord with a lot of people (including the "classics", that people still listen to (or read) a long time after it's top of the charts) and some don't.
"Quality" isn't the only answer. The Mona Lisa is a world famous painting, but was it Da Vinci's best? I'm not sure.... LOL

#2442644 - 10/02/12 11:19 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
Actually this question dates back centuries, and not just in music..... why do some works hit a chord with a lot of people (including the "classics", that people still listen to (or read) a long time after it's top of the charts) and some don't.
"Quality" isn't the only answer. The Mona Lisa is a world famous painting, but was it Da Vinci's best? I'm not sure.... LOL

I think whitefang's talking about quantity, not quality, if you will...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2442645 - 10/02/12 11:26 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Eric Iverson]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I remember an ancient phrase, describing a hit song, or a potential hit, from the days when Rock bands played real rocks; "It's got a good beat, and you can dance to it."

Pretty reductionist, but if you've ever worked, or spent time in a Dance Club, it's all about the beats. Nothing about beautiful or thought-provoking lyrics, melody, harmony, or any other standard of musical merit.

I think I'd mentioned this before, in another thread, but quite a while back, I saw a VH1 special on the 100 greatest hits from 2000-2010. Almost every song featured a singer/dancer, and a heavily produced, beat-driven background synth/sampler sound. Only two or three of the videos featured anything any of us would recognize as a band, playing music together.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2442671 - 10/02/12 01:41 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Larryz
"Don't try to understand it, just rope roll and brand it"

It always amazes me to watch the teeny boppers on the Today show mouthing all the lyrics to songs I've never heard before...or the old Doo Woppers on KVIE doing the same thing on songs I may have heard once in a blue moon (pun intended). One man's crap is another man's treasure... idk

I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that hits were created by teenage girls between the ages of 12-17. Because they were the ones who bought the "singles" (in those days "singles" were 45 rpm analog records). Don't know how much water that holds these days but probably still valid due to the downloading of single songs on Itunes.

BTW: Are you guys aware of a website called Pandora.com. It's really cool. You design your own radio stations based upon which artists/genres you select and by "liking" a certain song or artist the software customizes your listening choices on the fly. It's really pretty cool. cool

#2442683 - 10/02/12 02:12 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Fred_C]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Don't know how much water that holds these days but probably still valid due to the downloading of single songs on Itunes.

Yes, it still holds true. To illustrate...

Years...OK...at least a decade before I got my MBA in Sports & Entertainment Marketing, I was on a WEIRD trip visiting some friends of my grandparents. One of the households that took me in on that trip had 2 young girls. The second day I was there, they took a trip into town to go to a record store. I was along for the ride, as we're the girls and their friends. I bought a Cult and a pair of early Soundgarden CDs, and each the girls all had a stack of CDs of their own.

After dinner that day, as I'm sitting & listening to Soundgarden and reading some magazines, all the little girls were having a gathering in the den across from me. They were having a raucous good time, so I turned off my CD. That's when I realized what they had bought and why.

Each of the girls had bought a stack of New Kids On the Block CDs- one for each member of the boy-band, and "named" accordingly. IOW, where I had bought 3 unique CDs, they had each bought 5 (or 6?) copies of the same CD.

And we all know what that does to the sales figures...and what that means for "hit" status.

I'm not saying this is typical or even common. I'm just saying that that kind of purchasing g power and groupthink manifests itself very clearly in record sales.

It is not an accident, for instance, that many of the 80s hair bands biggest hits were ballads.

#2442690 - 10/02/12 03:34 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Quote:
Don't know how much water that holds these days but probably still valid due to the downloading of single songs on Itunes.

And we all know what that does to the sales figures...and what that means for "hit" status.

I'm not saying this is typical or even common. I'm just saying that that kind of purchasing power and groupthink manifests itself very clearly in record sales..

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you. It seems to me that young people in particular are susceptible to peer pressure (as I recall, so was I to some extent, but not where music was concerned). At that time I was up to my neck in acoustic blues. Young people like what they think they're supposed to like. How else could they possibly think of rap and hard-core hip-hop as music.

#2442691 - 10/02/12 03:39 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
duff beer Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
My ex-girlfriend liked hockey and also liked music. The first time I watched a hockey game with her, I quickly realized that she has no concept how the game is played. She doesn't know what offside is, what a power play was, and couldn't even name one player on her "favourite" team. She just blindly cheered when one of "our guys" scored a goal.

It was the same with music...she couldn't differentiate bass from guitar, or guitar from keyboards in most songs. Take away the vocals and she would have a hard time recognizing most of her favourite songs. All she needed to enjoy a song was a catchy and/or repeatedly annoying melody on the vocals. Nothing else in the song seemed to register.

My point being...don't try to understand what makes a hit because you'll just give yourself a headache.

#2442692 - 10/02/12 03:48 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: duff beer]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
How else could they possibly think of rap and hard-core hip-hop as music.

Hmmm...it has rhythm, notes, and (depending on artist) lyrics of great depth.

Yep. Music.

#2442767 - 10/03/12 02:56 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I think the reasons why a hit is a hit tend to follow the way music
is appreciated-or not-in a particular culture.
A song like `Are you gonna be my girl` by Jet-had nothing new at all to
say, the singer could have been in the movie `300`
THIS
IS
ROCK
And I dare say that most if not all of us could have gotten up with the band and played that song note for note.
But it was a perfect blast of back to basics rock and roll.Therefore as Caevan said, it got backing, promotion and distribution. And you`ve heard that song on car commercials etc. That`s a big part of it I`d say-songs these days don`t happen in a vacuum. The song`s popular because the singer`s a babe. Or it`s popular because it`s from a soundtrack. The big companies aren`t going to get behind anything they can`t sell three or four times.I was looking through the new edition of our classroom textbook, and noticed that one of the English songs in the back is `Eternal Flame` by The Bangles. That means presumably, that it is on the accompanying CD for the book and of course that means royalties. Just one example.

Edited by skipclone 1 (10/03/12 02:58 AM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2442794 - 10/03/12 06:56 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Realize, you could do the same sort of analysis for television. What makes what seems like a dumb show a hit with lots of people. ARE they that big a hit? Or are we TOLD it's that big a hit to draw us in and go along so we don't appear "out of it"?
After all, how many of us hunt down the exact Neilsen ratings? Take for example the "hit" shows "30 Rock" and "The Big Bang Theory". Multi Emmy winning comedies that made stars and big names out of their cast memebers, I sat down a couple of times to see what all the buzz was about. And I sat there, NOT even cracking a smile while the laugh track tried prompting me sheeplike to laugh at that which I didn't find funny. It was the same for the now gone "Will and Grace". Simply just not amusing. This isn't to say that ALL shows that are considered "hits" aren't worth it. There are a few that I like that are supposed to be "big" hits. The one peculiarity: The shows I think are funny as hell DON'T have a "laugh track".

The other similarity is ERA the music, OR the television show was made. Fortunately, both my daughters like much of the music they heard ME playing while they were growing up, along with much of the music from "their generation". They both are also fans of Laurel and Hardy, Burns and Allen and some of the long gone television comedies. Still, there are many much younger kids I know who won't even bother to listen to ANY music made past the last two or three years, or watch television shows or movies made past the the same amount of time simply because they think of them as "old".
Whitefang

#2442805 - 10/03/12 07:28 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
After all, how many of us hunt down the exact Neilsen ratings? Take for example the "hit" shows "30 Rock" and "The Big Bang Theory". Multi Emmy winning comedies that made stars and big names out of their cast memebers, I sat down a couple of times to see what all the buzz was about. And I sat there, NOT even cracking a smile while the laugh track tried prompting me sheeplike to laugh at that which I didn't find funny. It was the same for the now gone "Will and Grace". Simply just not amusing.

I do...and those are big, bona fide hit shows,

I know what you mean, though- the way I live, I could be a member of the Big Bang Theory cast, but I don't care for it. My Mom, OTOH, laughs like a drain while watching it, says it reminds her of me, my Dad, and my friends.*

But I look at this as a good thing. Back when my parents were kids, there were only 3 nationwide networks...and some people only got 1 or 2. Now, most of us have some form of cable or dish, meaning we have access to hundreds of channels,

These means the market is so splintered you don't have to have huge numbers to be a hit...but also that if your sense of humor or good drama is askance of the national norm, you are more likely to find something that appeals to you than you were 30 years ago.

Personally, I watch only a handful of network TV shows- you'll more likely catch me watching ID, SyFy, USA, Fear.Net, Chiller and a few other cable networks.

Same goes for music. Who cares if Gaga isn't your style- today, more than ever, you can finds music that speaks to YOU- jazz fusion, Nü-metal, dubstep...Norwegian Blackened Reggae Metal...

And that's a good thing.

* For the record, Dad doesn't watch the show, and only a few of my friends do.

#2442931 - 10/03/12 12:18 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't consider myself an elitist who is "above it all" or anything, LOL; but who happens to be at the top of the charts/ratings/bestseller list these days means nothing to me. I like the tune, program or book or I don't. Some of it has made mega-bucks and some hasn't; some of the artists are "stars" to the general public and some play only for a small circle of friends, so to speak.
For example, Eric Johnson was a brilliant player before he became well known, and probably still will be long after most kids don't know he is. He'll still have his core base of fans.
As far as record companies manufacturing hits, sure it happens; but how often do mediocre talents have any staying power?

#2442970 - 10/03/12 02:14 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Eric Iverson]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

According to Elton John, far more than you might think...

#2442994 - 10/03/12 03:51 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: whitefang]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

I am watching the ABC evening news w/Diane Sawyer. They just took note of the fact that "You're The One I Love" the duet with Olivia Newton John and John Travolta from Grease is now the best selling duet of all time.

Comments, Gentlemen?

#2443005 - 10/03/12 04:45 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Eric Iverson]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson

As far as record companies manufacturing hits, sure it happens; but how often do mediocre talents have any staying power?

In the music itself-pretty few. But how many of these people have clothing lines, cosmetics with their name on them, food products, independent labels, restaurants, TV appearances etc. etc.?

Edited by skipclone 1 (10/03/12 04:45 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2443055 - 10/03/12 09:44 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Originally Posted By: Fred_C
I am watching the ABC evening news w/Diane Sawyer. They just took note of the fact that "You're The One I Love" the duet with Olivia Newton John and John Travolta from Grease is now the best selling duet of all time.

Comments, Gentlemen?

I guess money (ie. sales + movies + downloads and other stats) determines who claims the honor of most popular but "the elusive, mysterious popular song" factor would cause me to ask why this one? I mean it's some good writing, recording, easy to dance to factor, etc. but for me, I wouldn't spend money to have it in my collectoin...for duets, I would rather spend money on The Righteous Brothers, Loggins & Mesina, The Everly Brothers, Jan & Dean, Sam & Dave, Hall & Oates and best of all Simon & Garfunkel...I'm sure there are more to include Lisa & Elvis, Natalie & Nat King Cole, Hank Williams Jr. & Sr. and Tony Bennett's on-going collection. cool

#2443056 - 10/03/12 10:51 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Bobby McFerrin is a great musician.

Aaaaand most people know him only for "Don't Worry, Be Happy"- his only hit.

And how many hits are actually cleaned up & sanitized covers of songs that originally had an...earthier...feel?

Most (not all) hits are hits because they appeal to common denominators.

#2443067 - 10/04/12 12:55 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: whitefang]
Perkunas Offline

What a can of worms to open, whitefang:-)
I must admit that I have a vested interest in this topic and I have been reading and resisting to comment.
I will still resist (aaarghhhh)!!!! the urge to comment, but I feel that resistance breaking down.
So in the short term I'd like to point all the gentlemen and ladies to two blogs.
Both are by the same author, Bobby Owsinski. One deals with music production and the other with the music industry/business.
The former has some interesting analysis of hit songs. Well worth reading and listening to.
http://bobbyowsinski.blogspot.com.au/

http://music3point0.blogspot.com.au/

Enjoy

#2443069 - 10/04/12 01:47 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Perkunas]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I really like that second one, especially the bit that is currently at the top of the page:

http://music3point0.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/the-shattered-hit-record-model.html

#2443072 - 10/04/12 02:32 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Perkunas Offline

ha ha, Danny,
I thought you would like the business side after reading your comments about the "Big bang Theory".
It is worth diving into the production blog to read and listen to song analysis.
Cheers

#2443116 - 10/04/12 07:24 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Perkunas]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, I liked that too, but the other one is closer to me. I'm never going to be in a position to apply the song analasys stuff.

#2443118 - 10/04/12 07:25 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Perkunas]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I found some of the things stated in the first blog irrelevent today. While the "hook" is still there, many songs in many different genres no longer employ either actual choruses or bridges. The same pattern of chords used in the verses are continued in the "chorus", the only recognizable thing being the repetition of the lyrics in said "chorus". Otherwise, musically the chord chart is played as if on a loupe.

Some of the other irrelevence comes from history itself. If you listen to the Roy Orbison collection of most of his "hits", you'll notice that very few, if any, follow the standard songwriting techniques suggested in the blog. It WAS kind of his stock in trade.
Whitefang

#2443138 - 10/04/12 08:30 AM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: whitefang]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In other words, adherence to standard formulas isn't always essential!
Actually, it's cool when someone puts a new "twist" on standard formulas (SFs)- the Beatles certainly did. Woke up a whole generation, and they got rich in the process.
Media types always want to milk a successful one, until it runs its course. For example, people finally got tired of "son of Star Trek" TV shows, LOL.

#2443227 - 10/04/12 01:13 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: Eric Iverson]
p90junior Offline

Good subject...

Firstly, it's radio: they don't like things that don't stick to the template they've gotten used to... and when I say template, I mean a template - intro a certain length, verse a certain length, chorus comes in right on the clock, song ends at the desired length... they have it down to a science.

Look up that thing where someone took two Nickelback singles and put one in each channel of a stereo mix and the songs are identical as far as timing and dynamics and tempo and everything else. I've had friends who had label development deals over the past 12 years and you're made to arrange your songs to fit this template or you don't get the shot.

Secondly: labels used to run by music lovers who were business people. Now, they're run by business people... people who went to business school and previously worked in the soft drink or apparel division. They don't have the instincts to pick winners themselves so they tend to stick with proven formulas and rely on test audiences. Test audiences are like lab rats who subconsciously seek to give the "right" answer and tend to respond to the tried and true, so the formulaic wins out in that environment, too... even if the people honestly prefer something out of left field, they will subconsciously try to give the answer they think is expected of them, which is the status quo.

Thirdly, there's just certain chord progressions that light people's brains up when they hear them, and certain melodies that go well with those progressions. Let me find the website where the guy analyzed every hit song ever written and cataloged the winning chord progressions and how often they get used.

Or the comedian who traces the "Pachelbel progression" through 100 pop songs in 3 minutes or whatever.

#2443228 - 10/04/12 01:30 PM Re: The elusive, mysterious popular song [Re: p90junior]
p90junior Offline

I play "Pokerface" all the time in an acoustic duo (I loop a rhythm part and throbbing octave bass part with an octave pedal then play fills and stuff over it) and I like it when I play it, only listened to it intently once... I understand why people like it, it's catchy, fun, they understand the metaphor, it's got a great beat and anybody could carry the tune.

We usually make a medley out of that one and "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac (a dancey version based on the Corrs' version with a similar chord progression), "Kids" by MGMT and "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster The People, which both share that progression. And people lose their sh!t in any setting.

They also go apeshot for "Rolling in The Deep" by Adele, which I make into a medley with "Stand Back" by Stevie Nicks.

Playing tons of these gigs I've mainly come to the conclusion that the general public is kind of tone deaf... or tone illiterate. It's the beats and rhythm of songs that they latch onto... if you get the beat right you can fake a melody and progressions somewhere in the general neighborhood and as long as you sing the big lyrical hook they love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose