Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2442494 - 10/01/12 07:49 PM Thoughts on this Gretsch amp
BluMunk Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT
This showed up on the local craigslist tonight:

http://burlington.craigslist.org/msg/3309863321.html

. . . I am a keyboard player who plays a bit of guitar (looks like we're flooding your boards this week!); I've got a great instrument, but don't have an amp. I've borrowed amps from guys in my band, and/or just played through pedals.

I've been keeping my eye out for something nice to play through in the sub-$500 range that will get me some nice warmth and character. In the past I've really enjoyed the Peavey Classic 30 I had on loan for a long time (there were some non-stock tubes in it; I couldn't tell you what they were). That had about the maximum amount of power I'm looking for, and I was able to get some sounds out of it that I liked.

Any thoughts? Might this be something worth looking at, or should I skip it? Looking at the ancient power cord makes me nervous.

GP Island
#2442504 - 10/01/12 09:22 PM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: BluMunk]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Could be a cool amp. Since you're somewhat new to guitar amps, I'd suggest having a guitar buddy check it out with you, and hear your axe through it.

#2442520 - 10/02/12 12:02 AM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: Bluesape]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Bluesape
Could be a cool amp. Since you're somewhat new to guitar amps, I'd suggest having a guitar buddy check it out with you, and hear your axe through it.

Good call; it could be a cool amp- depending on the condition it's in; or it could be a 'restoration/repair-project' which could result in a cool amp.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that you'd prefer a very usable amp right off the bat, and that a relatively newer amp that's merely "used" and not necessarily "vintage" might better suit you.

Still, it bears looking into- I wouldn't want to steer you away from what could turn out to be a favorite gem for you for years to come...

In general, if it's in good shape with decent filter-capacitors (always eventually need to be replaced, like tires or batteries) and decent tubes and a healthy enough speaker, it should sound and feel something like a warmer, darker, softer cross between a vintage Fender Deluxe and a vintage Fender Princeton (non-reverb models), maybe comparable to a similarly powered vintage Gibson. If in good health, it would probably work well with a Tube Screamer style overdrive-pedal for blues and low-volume blues-rock tones and the like.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2442611 - 10/02/12 09:13 AM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Forget about it...go to the nearest GC and try out a Fender Mustang III for under $300. It will get just about any sound you want and keep up with small club venues or mic it for larger venues. Since you're a Keyboard player that most likely enjoys going direct to the PA, have them plug in a Mustang Floor pedal (same price sans amp) and go direct to the PA as it has the same sounds as the amp and you won't need to pack the extra equipment. From the pictures of the equipment on Craigs List, I would chose the new equipment that's out there in the same price range...IMHO.

Ps. All of my guitars (electric and acoustic) sound great going direct to the PA with my Mustang Floor pedal.

#2442618 - 10/02/12 09:33 AM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: Larryz]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like Gretsch amps. I like old amps in general I had a old solid state Gretsch Nashville with 2-15"s that was a lot of fun. I like old Gretsch tube amps old Ampegs Rockets and old Gibson Invaders etc... AS a Collector.

But for gigging I would get something different unless you would be willing to have it rebuilt but then it would be more than $500. For that amount of money you could probably find something that would better suit your needs. You may even be looking enough money to get a NEWISH Fender Deluxe or new Hot Rod deluxe or a VOX tube amp.

But that is just me. I have some nice old amps but for gigging I use a fairly modern Boogie combo. Not the best sounding amp I have but it's dependable and I have a roadcase for it.

PS. A Fender Blues Jr. MIGHT give you what you want.

Edited by CEB (10/02/12 09:37 AM)

#2442624 - 10/02/12 09:53 AM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: CEB]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

PS - If it is close you may want to check this out for $300.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/msg/3307731381.html

There is also Reissue Deluxe Reverb on that Craigslist but that amp is $700 which could be about the same cost of the Gretch with a rebuild depending on who did the work. The DRRI is nice.

#2442628 - 10/02/12 10:12 AM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: CEB]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Larryz and CEB have sound advice...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2442921 - 10/03/12 11:36 AM Re: Thoughts on this Gretsch amp [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island
It looks like it has a 2 prong plug and a replacement Jensen speaker. You may want to check out the Fender Vibrochamp XD and Superchamp XD. 5 watt and 15 watt modeling tube amps with effects. I have a Vibrochamp XD and I really like it, and I won't get electrocuted!!! You can get the Vibro on Ebay for about $100 and the Super for about $150.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose