Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2433843 - 08/23/12 11:37 AM Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!!
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ennui, az.
Hello all, welcome to here.

Even though it is most definitely not in my nature to go first, I thought I'd open this up to all of us with mix questions, tuning issues, wonky vocals, etc.

Again, despite my basic nature, here's this:

http://soundcloud.com/wraub/drift

Definitely some level issues with the bass, esp. towards the beginning. Also not sure of guitar level, and overall guitar EQ across tracks. Also, overall mix.

Anyone?

Thanks...

Peace

wraub

p.s. Senor Griff-ster, sticky, por favor?

Edited by wraub (08/23/12 11:39 AM)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

#2433889 - 08/23/12 03:06 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: wraub]
Happy Birthday Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Glue has been applied. Rock on. grin

#2433890 - 08/23/12 03:08 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Griffinator]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say those are triggered drum samples, not a recorded drum kit?

Regardless, your kit is too crispy (even the kick), and the bass is dominating it because the bass is the only thing really living in that bottom range.

Other thing I'm noticing about the drums - do you have velocity control in your MIDI editor? Use it. The double-time hat makes the whole thing sound mechanical, because there's no variance in the volume of the hits. Sure, a "real" drummer can do that, but most don't, because they're trying to create a groove by varying how hard they hit the thing (i.e. velocity...)

#2433977 - 08/23/12 09:14 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Griffinator]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Actually, as this is a MIP, the drums are really placekeepers.
And, in all honesty, they were programmed on a Playstation.
A PS1, even. Really (have I mentioned I'm broke/cheap?).

I will be working on an improved drum track as soon as I get a VST drum program. Recommendations (you know, on a budget), if possible?

Thanks for the input.
Anything else re: instrument levels/performance?

Peace,

wraub

#2433980 - 08/23/12 09:20 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: wraub]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's a different track, with different drums:

http://soundcloud.com/wraub/jangleangle

Peace,

wraub

#2434646 - 08/27/12 11:21 AM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: wraub]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
Originally Posted By: wraub
Anything else re: instrument levels/performance?

I like the interplay between the guitars and the bass line, and the little break in the middle.

The guitars (two, more?) seem to crowd each other out a little - maybe pan them out some?

Otherwise the overall mix is good to my ears, although as you pointed out the bass level seems uneven at points.

I'm curious how you managed to program drums on a PS1, that's pretty cool.

#2434655 - 08/27/12 11:35 AM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: wraub]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Here's a different track, with different drums:

http://soundcloud.com/wraub/jangleangle

Bass tone and playing on this one and the last one is nice - clean and round. Forgot to mention that before.

To me, the guitar sounds "brittle". Maybe it's the effect, but perhaps just tweaking the EQ (less mid-highs, more mids?) might help give it some heft. I do like the delay bouncing across.

The bongos or whatever felt a little loud/out of place on first listen, but on subsequent listens I think they're not a bad fit. Someone smarter that me could say how to make them gel with the track a bit more.

#2434706 - 08/27/12 02:18 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: wraub]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Recommendations (you know, on a budget), if possible?

I've always used FL Studio and built custom drum kits out of samples I've picked up/made over the years.

That said, as cheap VSTi's go, hard to go wrong with Rayzoon Jamstix for $99.

#2434737 - 08/27/12 04:28 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

I also like the GTG drum synth DPC3, which is free. Sounds are not the greatest, but they're ok and I think you can use samples. Best with a midi controller/keyboard.

#2455780 - 12/11/12 11:17 AM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Russkull]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Figured it was time I add to this thread. This is a working mix of the first track off my new album. I'd love any feedback, bad or good, especially as it pertains to mixing.

https://soundcloud.com/halsemusic/just-a-silhouette

As a refresher: I record music for fun, at home, and only family and friends ever hear my stuff. The drums here are just pre-recorded samples. Everything else I did myself. Thanks in advance for the help.

#2455903 - 12/11/12 08:35 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Need some compressor help on the drum samples - they're clipping the right channel. I'd also choose a different pad at 0:55 (and elsewhere) - it's not a significant part of the arrangement, just an atmospheric effect, yet it sticks out like a sore thumb, which is what you don't want out of atmospheric effects.

#2456105 - 12/12/12 01:10 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I had wondered about that keyboard bit - I'll admit I really liked the sound itself so that's probably why it's too high in the mix.

Does the EQ sound ok? It seems a bit muddy to me but I don't know what I'm missing.

#2456142 - 12/12/12 04:10 PM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Seems fine to me.

#2458796 - 12/28/12 09:10 AM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: Griffinator]
bleachbro Offline

I'm not a bass player, but wanted to share this session with Abraham Laboriel. He has a great solo in the track. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/scottfrankfurtstudio/yonder

#2458821 - 12/28/12 11:32 AM Re: Since griff asked: A post your music/mixes thread!!! [Re: bleachbro]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: bleachbro
I'm not a bass player, but wanted to share this session with Abraham Laboriel. He has a great solo in the track. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/scottfrankfurtstudio/yonder

Don't have to be a bass player to participate here. This is the Project Studio - musicians of all stripes and engineers and the like are welcome here. smile

And very nifty rendition of that tune, by the way. thu

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator