Print Thread
Some help for curing writers block..... #2432010 08/15/12 10:58 AM
S
SafeandSound Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I hope it is an inspiration:

Curing writers block

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: SafeandSound] #2432023 08/15/12 12:31 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
Best cure for writer's block is write, with no regard to the quality or utility of the writing. Waiting around to be inspired is not a path to success. Reaching out and taking inspiration by freely writing whatever nonsense comes to mind, that's what leads to successful writing. Don't ever stop writing, just don't self-vet so much that you cripple the natural ebb and flow of your inspiration.

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: Griffinator] #2432171 08/16/12 07:51 AM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
What Griff said. My version of that is usually something like, "it's okay to suck." Go ahead and write something terrible. Let it be terrible. Laugh at how terrible it is if you must. But don't stop there. Keep going and finish it. Then keep writing. Keep sucking. Let it out. Do the editing and critiquing later.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: Joe Muscara] #2438050 09/12/12 11:08 AM
E
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
E
That's how I do it - let it flow, edit later!
As I get older, I have learned that a LOT OF EDITING is needed, if I want to perform the things I write for discerning audiences, LOL!

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: Eric Iverson] #2462221 01/11/13 04:49 PM
Ekewaka Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Flow is indeed important. No flow, no creativity. You break the flow if you set up expectations, goals and expected results.

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: Ekewaka] #2498664 06/03/13 05:30 PM
S
sidebyside Offline
S
I have to agree here, I`ll write a lot of free verse imperfect rhyme..then go back and hack through it.

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: sidebyside] #2646191 12/09/14 04:41 AM
M
maya112 Offline
M
Thanks for the share....

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: maya112] #2792273 07/23/16 12:29 PM
Huggy Bear Offline
I would suggest, if it's legal where you live, enhancing your, well, everything with some cannabis... Those who tried know what I'm talking about. Those who didn't are going to be pleasantly surprised...
Also, like not being able to fall asleep, pressure in life may have a bad effect on your creative output. (some would say the opposite I assume), but personally I can't think about writing anything when my life is in a bad place.

Get your ex back: Guys - Girls - You gotta see this if you want him/her back!
Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: Griffinator] #2861249 06/17/17 12:18 PM
B
bill555 Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Griffinator
Best cure for writer's block is write, with no regard to the quality or utility of the writing. Waiting around to be inspired is not a path to success. Reaching out and taking inspiration by freely writing whatever nonsense comes to mind, that's what leads to successful writing. Don't ever stop writing, just don't self-vet so much that you cripple the natural ebb and flow of your inspiration.
Just because something works for you doesn't make it some case-closed fact as you seem to be implying. If that works for you great, but it's not for everyone or the only path. I do in fact wait to be inspired and it works for me quite well. Writing crap only produces crap, and if I did that it would only dishearten me more. This is not like practicing an instrument, which largely comes down to mechanics. The creative process cannot be forced IMO.

The article above basically comes down to shaking things up...do something different, change your routine, etc, which I agree with. Often writer's block is just another form of "burnout."

Re: Some help for curing writers block..... [Re: bill555] #2877345 09/06/17 03:57 AM
K
kat1 Offline
K
Can someone please tell what is the theory behind a minor chord becoming a major in a major scale like now i am playing a bollywood song called senorita which is in the key of a major but in the song there come some parts where c minor becomes c major ,f# minor becomes f# major and b minor becomes b major.Please explain the theory behind it.

kartik

Moderated by  linwood, nursers