Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2430028 - 08/05/12 11:05 AM Looking for the all in one amplification solution
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

I'm looking for something that I can just plug my keyboard and microphone into-with reverb. This would be for small audiences/failrly low volume stuff that I do my OMB act (arranger keyboard and vocals)
Also I'd like something that I would use for a stage monitor for band work. I wonder if these units could work well as both a small PA for OMB work and also a stage monitor for my keyboard when I play in bands. Any other recomendations?

Lucas Nano 300:

http://www.audioworksct.com/hk-audio-lucas-nano-300/

Roland BA 330

KC Island
#2430040 - 08/05/12 12:33 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
AnotherScott Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've used the Roland SA-300... it has its limitations, but it has been a handy problem solver.

#2430050 - 08/05/12 01:30 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: AnotherScott]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

Actually I have a SA 300. I had to leave it behind with a friend when I moved back to the states. I won't be able getIt back for at least a year or so. Yeah it's pretty good but they don't make them anymore. Maybe I could find a used one but I thought maybe something better has come out now. The SA 300 is plenty loud enough and very practical. Not as detailed sound as my two Bose Compacts though.

#2430065 - 08/05/12 03:03 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: montunoman
I'm looking for something that I can just plug my keyboard and microphone into-with reverb.

Lucas Nano 300:

Thx for posting the Lucas Nano 300 !

Even I donīt see it coming w/ Reverb/FX, to me it looks very promising as a small and extremely portable keyboard monitor system.
Iīve found a preview of german "Tastenwelt" magazine for that product via the Thomann website but no real world test w/ keyboards up to now.

All I can say is,- HK Audio is a very trusty company and I frequently used their (by tour production rented) speakers for keyboard monitoring.
So, for me, these would be worth a try,- maybe 2 of these systems linked and w/ 2 of the satellite speakers stacked for each stereo channel and/or the mono stack configuration w/ 1 sub and 2 satellites stacked.
I appreciate thereīs no HF compression driver like in other 2-way systems, so this little system might not sound harsh and offer perfect integraton in keyboard stands being a fine personal keyboard monitoring system when a PA is availabe for the audience in large rooms.

112/116dB @10% THD tells me Iīd have to use 2 systems for a clean & loud sound though.

A.C.

#2430111 - 08/05/12 07:05 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: Al Coda]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

Hi A.C., here's a link of a discussion about the the Lucas Nano 300. They thread is called "Bose Compact Killers" Keep in mind that they guy that started the thread is also selling the Lucas Nano 300.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/347851/1

#2430113 - 08/05/12 07:32 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

Oh, here's the correct link for the Roland BA 330. Anyone here tryed one? I haven't seen them in the stores around here.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLBA330

#2430120 - 08/05/12 08:29 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
VLH Offline
Gold Member

Try the fishman soloamp. It doesn't have a sub...and doesn't seem to need one. I've been using it for about 18 months and am happy with it. Line array without all the hype. 5 types of reverb, two channels. 35 lbs with case and stand. You can find them used in the $700 range.

#2430139 - 08/06/12 04:03 AM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Hi A.C., here's a link of a discussion about the the Lucas Nano 300. They thread is called "Bose Compact Killers" Keep in mind that they guy that started the thread is also selling the Lucas Nano 300.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/347851/1

Thx, just had a read of all 4 pages.
In opposite to the topic of the threads here and over there,- Iīm not urgently looking for a all-in-one solution, so if speaker arrays like BOSE offers have advantages according to longer distance sound travel over the HK Nano 300 or not isnīt critical for me as isnīt feedback supression.

In fact, I want a clean and linear "short distance/ nearfield" sound for my keys (DP, synths, ROMplers and organ) at the position where I stand or sit,- not for the audience and not for the other band members, the speakers not bleeding in any mics placed on stage.
This in a most lightweight, compact and easy to handle package at an affordable price.
The accessories available for the Nano 300 allow mounting of the satelites to my custom Ultimate Support keystand constructions making these smaller in addition,- not bad for me.

HK Audio never made any consumer gear,- only pro gear.
I know a lot of their cabs, active and passive and they manufacture very good amps too.
These were never cheap products and also the former LUCAS and ELIAS systems were well manufactured.
Friends of mine (a rock band gigging frequently) own a complete ELIAS PA system and use it in their rehearsal room as well as for their smaller or mid-range gigs.
Itīs good stuff.

We did touring halls using HK Audio w/ complete PA, monitor wedges and keyboard backline speakers for 2 keyboardists as well as full range drum monitoring incl. subs in the 90th and it was a very good sound on stage and in the audience.
The venues were 1000 - 5000 seats and I always worked w/ the smallest speakers available for my personal monitoring.
Using IE monitoring is an alternative for me, but I prefer small speakers if the production allows.

Iīm very interested in this solution, beginning w/ 1 system as a starter, but want to see some trusty diagrams 1st too.

A.C.

#2430326 - 08/06/12 08:11 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: Al Coda]
Jaime Chimuelo Offline

Bought a pair of Mackie Thump 12"s and they sounded fine for 3 months then they got mushy as I punished them with real hardware analog synths.
Got the newer Barbetta sfz's and they sound like nearfields on a great mix. Exspensive but worth every dime.
2 small cabinets. Actually should run 1 in mono, but I love my stereo spread onstage, although I know the FOH could get a better mix if I was in mono. Same reason I record in mono I suppose...
I dont care amymore, its my sanity after 6 nights a week that matters to me.....

Edited by Jaime Chimuelo (08/06/12 08:13 PM)

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

#2430359 - 08/07/12 03:32 AM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
KRK Offline

Loc: Italy
Oh, here's the correct link for the Roland BA 330. Anyone here tryed one? I haven't seen them in the stores around here.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLBA330

ciao!

I had it at home a couple of years ago.
beautiful clean sound for home use....
but....

it has NO enough power for playng around with a guitarist or a drummer....
I tried it with my keybduo organ at that time.
not enough bass frequencies and if you try to turn UP the volume EVERY single speaker inside it get distorted.
in large stages, it is also difficult to use it just as a personal monitor....

now I'm really happy with the SA-1000, another planet!
laugh

Edited by KRK (08/07/12 03:41 AM)

#2430454 - 08/07/12 11:26 AM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: KRK]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

I never realized that you plug a mic directly into some of these powered speakers. However they don't have vocal effects frown
If I went the powered speaker route I guess I'd have to use a small mixer with effects or a vocal processor like the TC Helicon Harmony M. Anyways maybe a single power speaker like this one would be the best alternative:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--QSCK10

#2430468 - 08/07/12 12:25 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

There's lots of love here for the K10/mixer route, which I tried... but for my application, and it appears yours as well, my money was better spent on the SA-300. The new version SA-1000 doesn't appear to have the mixer/PA control or phantom power of the earlier version, which is why I grabbed the one 300 I found before it was gone. Seems to me someone onboard here has an extra one he might sell.

#2430482 - 08/07/12 01:01 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: drawback]
stillgigging Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Perth, Scotland
HK Audio Lucas Nano 300 - anyone have a chance to try one out themselves?

Struggling to find anyone who has one in stock near me.

#2430490 - 08/07/12 01:29 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: stillgigging]
Jim Eshleman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia USA
I'm still a keyboard amp fan and now that Motion Sound seems to have gone away I've been eyeing the Traynor K4. Seems to have some cool features including tube preamps on the first channel, lots of inputs, and a dedicated vocal/FOH mix input on channel four. That last trick might work as a OMB vocal channel if you ran your mic directly into a vocal processor and then into this channel. Definitely a cool amp for band work, maybe less so for solo work w/vocal, but certainly a nice looking all-in-one unit with good power. It may be a little pricey compared to a powered PA solution but if you're a keyboard amp fan like me then this would be a possibility.

#2430493 - 08/07/12 01:32 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: Jim Eshleman]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
does the Traynor hum?

#2430498 - 08/07/12 01:55 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: drawback]
AnotherScott Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: drawback
Seems to me someone onboard here has an extra one he might sell.

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot, I do!

#2430518 - 08/07/12 03:24 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: David Loving]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NC, USA
Originally Posted By: daviel
does the Traynor hum?
Only when it doesn't know the words.

#2430573 - 08/07/12 08:38 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: Jim Eshleman]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: The Pro
I'm still a keyboard amp fan and now that Motion Sound seems to have gone away I've been eyeing the Traynor K4. Seems to have some cool features including tube preamps on the first channel, lots of inputs, and a dedicated vocal/FOH mix input on channel four. That last trick might work as a OMB vocal channel if you ran your mic directly into a vocal processor and then into this channel. Definitely a cool amp for band work, maybe less so for solo work w/vocal, but certainly a nice looking all-in-one unit with good power. It may be a little pricey compared to a powered PA solution but if you're a keyboard amp fan like me then this would be a possibility.

I tried the traynor k4. I thought it was very good for loud band stuff but not so good for OMB stuff - vocals sounded wierd too me.

#2430580 - 08/07/12 09:56 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: montunoman]
jeff7b9 Offline

If you can find a Bose (used or new depending on budget) you should consider it. I used one for years and it sounded amazing. I love the hell out of my QSC K10, but I think the Bose had the crispest sound of anything I ever used, I absolutely never ever had any issues hearing myself or having control of my volume with that thing.

maybe the bose killer is better, maybe that is just a pitch to up sales, I don't know. I do know that my old Bose L1 tower sounded heavenly.

#2430586 - 08/07/12 11:16 PM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: jeff7b9]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
When I had one, the Traynor never hummed, and was a solid unit, very versatile.

#2430596 - 08/08/12 03:15 AM Re: Looking for the all in one amplification solution [Re: Fusker]
stillgigging Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Perth, Scotland
@jeff7b9 - the Bose L1 tower - did you use it in a band situation with live drums and electric guitar combos on stage?

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner