Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2428670 - 07/30/12 04:58 AM Hard case for Hammond SK2?
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I thought the freebie Hammond carry bag that I got as a promo in February with my SK2 would last longer than this, but the cheap zipper has already given out so it's heading towards the junk bin. Time for an upgrade.

I use my SK2 anywhere from 1-3 times a week so a hard case is warranted, but I don't want a full-on flight case because I only see me gigging locally with it. Something light, preferably waterproof, half-way sturdy would be nice. Suggestions? What are you using?

KC Island
#2428705 - 07/30/12 07:29 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM

#2428722 - 07/30/12 07:58 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Tonysounds]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: tonysounds

H/S website says Hammond SK2 dimensions are 37 1/4"(W) x 17 7/8"(D) x 6 3/4"(H). That will not fit any Pelican case made.

#2428726 - 07/30/12 08:12 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
Analogaddict Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I'd take a look at the cases SKB make for camera equipment and such. I think one of those could fit the bill.

#2428739 - 07/30/12 08:50 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Analogaddict]
wruess Offline

Another 2c: Take a look at 'Liteflite' cases, made by Roadie and sold by a company in NY called Hybrid, or Island Cases (do an eBay search for Liteflite) These are lighter than full ATA, but made of plywood, foam lined and have surface hardware. I got one for my SK1 for $139+ $28 shipping. They will custom make one; but easiest if your size already exists. (E.g. I got a case made for Nord Electro2, basically same size as SK1. SK2 might have to be custom made).

#2428741 - 07/30/12 08:52 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Analogaddict]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Edited by tonysounds (07/30/12 08:53 AM)

#2428746 - 07/30/12 09:07 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Tonysounds]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I like something with latches - zippers are not doing well for me right now. An injected molded case was kinda what I had in mind rather than a traditional plywood case but I may not have a choice. The mixer cases are a good idea too, especially since many companies like SKB, Gator etc, don't seem to offer a case especially for the SK2 (yet).

All ideas are appreciated and I will report here on what I finally wind up choosing.

#2428780 - 07/30/12 10:31 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Those Gator TSA cases (the one marked "I'd go with this one) were on display at NAMM, and I really liked what I saw. They looked gorilla safe/tough, and unlike the earlier Gator models, would not tear up your car's interior. (The old cases had a really awful hinge design that was unkind to carpet.)

#2428792 - 07/30/12 11:19 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Tonysounds]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah that Gator 76 note TSA case looks promising but it's so much bigger than the actual keyboard (yes I know it has padding) that it takes away from one of the key features of the SK2, namely it's portability/small form factor.

I want something closer to the instrument's actual size so I'm doing a lot of mixer case shopping at the moment... but all comers welcome.

#2428794 - 07/30/12 11:26 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
KeyMoe Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: The Pro
Yeah that Gator 76 note TSA case looks promising but it's so much bigger than the actual keyboard (yes I know it has padding) that it takes away from one of the key features of the SK2, namely it's portability/small form factor.

I want something closer to the instrument's actual size so I'm doing a lot of mixer case shopping at the moment... but all comers welcome.

I use the Gator 61 key and it works fine. Just had to remove the rubber feet on the SK-2.

#2428797 - 07/30/12 11:30 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Tonysounds]
Dgas Offline

I bought a hard case for my SK1 from Island cases (mentioned by Wruess above); have been very happy with it. Mine is medium duty with wheels. I also occasionally use a small zippered soft case depending on the gig load in/out & which car I use for transport. I am working on getting an SK2 so have been looking at cases for that. Island has both a medium & light duty for SK2. They advertise the medium duty at 25 lbs so 60 lb load with an SK2. The Gator model "I'd Go With This One" (GKPE-76D-TSA) is spec'd at 29 lbs, slightly heavier. Note that the Island medium duty case does not include the wheel kit in the price (but can be added as an option). The Gator case is probably more rugged, physically larger, slightly heavier, & about 40% higher cost. Tough call.

#2428819 - 07/30/12 12:48 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: KeyMoe]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: KeyMoe

I use the Gator 61 key and it works fine. Just had to remove the rubber feet on the SK-2.

Really? You mean the GKPE-61-TSA? That case's interior width specs says 17.38" which is slightly smaller than the SK2's 17 7/8". If that case works with the SK2 then we may have a winner...

#2428868 - 07/30/12 03:21 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
CheapGeek Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
You might wanna look at SKB's offerings (they have a lifetime warranty too). It's what I use for all of my keyboards, and rack system.

Don't know how the size compares, but I had a Hammond XK-2 (bought new, way back in whatever year...) I hauled in a hard-sided SKB case with wheels.
When I sold that keyboard a couple years ago it was absolutely like new.

#2428871 - 07/30/12 03:43 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: KeyMoe

Really? You mean the GKPE-61-TSA? That case's interior width specs says 17.38" which is slightly smaller than the SK2's 17 7/8". If that case works with the SK2 then we may have a winner...

Since the SK2 is lighter in weight it may not be an issue but....

Originally Posted By: CEB
The S90XS is my gigging master board. It is the bottom board in today's avatar. I get bored and change my picture a lot.

I have some individual issues with the board but when I consider the total package I am satisfied with the compromises. Also the things I find to be shortcomings may be the things you think are it's strengths.

There are a few decent threads around here on the S90XS and S70XS.

You will need a case. Mine came bundled with a Gator case that looks like it was produced by Rubbermaid. I do not reccomend that one at all. I will post the model number. The damn side handle pops off which is a pain and a problem if 'roadies' try to help load your stuff.

PS - This is the case that I do not reccomend. I guess I should contact Gator and see if they would make it good but I play to often to be without the case.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKPE88TSA

Update: Gator sent me a new handle. Here is a note of "thanks" I sent them today. I guess I will see how it goes. Our manager wants me to sue them but I don't want to. Maybe it will all work out.

=====================================================
I got the handle today. Thanks, I have 4 gigs this week.

I am concerned because externally it looks just like the one I had to remove due to how the handle kept popping off because the ball socket joint doesn't hold.

I hope this new one works better because the night the handle popped out going up the stairs at the Blue Grouch night club someone could have gotten killed if they had been behind me and underneath that falling digital piano.

Here is hoping for the best. I will let EVERYONE know how this goes.

Thanks again.

The replacement handle is working so far but I don't trust it. It looks exactly like the original handle. The original handle worked fine for about 3 months. But ... the S90XS weigh more than a SK2.

Edited by CEB (07/30/12 03:45 PM)

#2428898 - 07/30/12 05:42 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: CEB]
Hammonddave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Just find that tattooed girl from the H/S ads to carry it around for you... What? She doesn't come with the keyboard?

#2428996 - 07/31/12 04:05 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: CEB]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

(edited thread) Update: Gator sent me a new handle. Here is a note of "thanks" I sent them today. I guess I will see how it goes. Our manager wants me to sue them but I don't want to. Maybe it will all work out.

=====================================================
I got the handle today. Thanks, I have 4 gigs this week.

I am concerned because externally it looks just like the one I had to remove due to how the handle kept popping off because the ball socket joint doesn't hold.

I hope this new one works better because the night the handle popped out going up the stairs at the Blue Grouch night club someone could have gotten killed if they had been behind me and underneath that falling digital piano.

Here is hoping for the best. I will let EVERYONE know how this goes.

Thanks again.
...... [quote]

The replacement handle is working so far but I don't trust it. It looks exactly like the original handle. The original handle worked fine for about 3 months. But ... the S90XS weigh more than a SK2.

Thanks. I had done a search and read this thread so I knew about the issue you were having with the handle. At least it shows Gator stands behind it's products, but even so this story makes me wonder about the sturdiness of the TSA series. I'm still totally open to a solution.

Originally Posted By: CheapGeek
You might wanna look at SKB's offerings (they have a lifetime warranty too). It's what I use for all of my keyboards, and rack system.

SKB does not offer a case specifically for the Hammond SK2 so once again I would be looking at one of their oversized offerings if I went with an SKB. Currently my SK2 in it's soft case fits great in my car and is very easy to carry - I'm afraid an oversied case would ruin that.

#2429189 - 07/31/12 04:16 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
tompass Offline

Loc: NJ/SC

#2429297 - 08/01/12 07:30 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: tompass]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: tompass
http://www.fusionbagsusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=577_581&products_id=16453

Zippers again! Sorry, but cheap zippers are killing keyboard cases. The fabric around the zipper wears out, gets caught in the teeth, tears etc. and the case is ruined. We need industrial-strength zippers but case makers are settling for the cheapest they can find.

So far my best choice seems to be the pricey Gator Cases GX-2838-8-TSA. It's expensive but I believe it will last the lifetime of the keyboard. It has room for pedals, power supply, cables etc. but I'm still searching...

#2429304 - 08/01/12 07:50 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Really, can we stop using the words “zippers” and “cases” in the same sentence? They don’t exist: If it has a zipper, it’s a bag, NOT a case.

You want protection? Then realize it’s not available in a bag. And regarding the S90xx story, common sense is still your best ally: if a bag/case doesn’t look like it can support a 60 lb. instrument being carted by a single handle, then do not buy it. You want portability, you sacrifice protection; you want protection, you sacrifice ease of transport proportionally.

Still and all, the products offered today are tougher per pound than they were even 20 years ago.

Now, if they could just do something about those cheesy plastic racks.

#2429321 - 08/01/12 08:48 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
tompass Offline

Fusion referred to because another poster recommended the Gator soft semi rigid case. I contacted Gator and they said that their case would not accommodate the SK2. The fusion case interior dimensions are closest to that of the SK2. Had a good zippered bag for many years for DX7 that held up very well. Not sure about quality of Fusion zippers not having experience with this company.

#2429354 - 08/01/12 11:27 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: tompass]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And the winner is... GXDF-2838-8-TSA, which is the case I posted a picture of above but with the addition of diced foam inserts.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/216151-1569/gxdf-2838-8-tsa

I've placed the order... $350 w/shipping is much more than I wanted to spend but I believe it's the best case for the job and for the money. Only weighs 20lbs thank goodness. Once I get the SK2 snugged up inside of it I will post a final picture here. Thanks all, every post helped.

#2429355 - 08/01/12 11:47 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
tompass Offline

Nice case and should offer great protection but does add 20 pounds to the carry. Wheels would be cool.

Edited by tompass (08/01/12 11:49 AM)

#2429361 - 08/01/12 12:27 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: tompass]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hope it works well Pro! The models I saw at NAMM really did im press me.

#2429363 - 08/01/12 12:33 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: tompass]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: tompass
Nice case and should offer great protection but does add 20 pounds to the carry. Wheels would be cool.

Agreed. And the handle is still suspicious on the TSA's per other reports, but I intend to hold Gator to their lifetime warranty. I think adding 20lbs is about the least I can get away with to get the protection I need... and no zippers! I can always use a cheap luggage dolly if I feel the absence of wheels is a problem.

I just decided that if I'm gonna go I might as well go-rilla.

#2429388 - 08/01/12 03:24 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
This is after the fact. I hear you Jim regarding the zipper thing. Luckily I haven't had any problems with them failing. Probably due to I didn't keep the keyboard/case long enough for the fabric to break down. Plus I'm just over the top careful with my stuff. I am leery of the Gator and SKB build on those bags holding up long term.

But wanted to throw this into the mix for future reference. I'm using the Nord case with the NP2 now and it's doing a good job. But if I do indeed get another 45-55 lb DP I'll probably spend the dough and get one of these. This is the small size, applicable I'd think for the keyboard originally discussed.
http://coloradocase.com/customkeyboardrigidcasesmall.aspx

The one I'd probably need
http://coloradocase.com/customkeyboardrigidcaselarge.aspx

There are optional detachable wheels too
http://coloradocase.com/wheelsharp-1.aspx

Tim Wat bought one for his Kronos 73 and seems to be very happy with the build quality. I've never seen one up close and personal but I'm sure , from talking to the CC guy, the zippers are meant to last.

Also talking to the CC guy, Steve, I believe, he said harpists travel with these cases, on planes, over 200 days a year. I figure if these cases are strong enough to support/protect something as unwieldily as a harp, what's a keyboard ?

Anyway, pricey for sure but low weight and custom fit. Maybe Tim can chime in more since he's the only guy I know that actually ordered one.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2429458 - 08/02/12 04:25 AM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Dave Ferris]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dave: Colorado cases was suggested to me by my Hammond dealer, Wayne Plorin of B3 Guys in Nashville. I checked them out and decided on Gator. The CC's seem terribly expensive for what they are and again my zipper-phobia took hold. And since I could get the stronger-looking Gator TSA for less cost it seemed like a better buy.

Tonysounds has a point about "bags" versus "cases" and most of what I've used in the past few years has been bags due to local use only, but I find that when the bag eventually tears up it's the zipper that seems to go first. When the zipper on the promo bag for my Hammond SK2 gave out in five months of light use, the problem became crystal clear. I have a nice Kawai-brand "bag" for my Kawai ES4 that has held up well for almost ten years but it's finally about to die and guess why? Yep, the zipper has given out in the back corner where most of the stress occurs.

So for an instrument like the Hammond SK2 that I could get 10+ years of life out of, I believe that a proper hard shell (but not ATA) zipper-free case will be a good investment.

#2430529 - 08/07/12 04:50 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So here is the case. It's BIG. I am 6' tall and not small. I have mounted the SK2 in it, and in front of the organ is the sustain pedal, the Hammond expression pedal, and the power supply. Fits nicely and is very secure, but the case with all pieces is pretty heavy and very bulky. None the less I have decided to keep it. Wheels are a future option.

#2430536 - 08/07/12 05:28 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: resigned]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Dang, that's huge!
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2430538 - 08/07/12 05:32 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: mate stubb]
Michael Wright Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Canada
And I thought my C2 case was big! shocked

"me? I'm just a lawnmower....you can tell me by the way I walk"
Website

#2430556 - 08/07/12 06:42 PM Re: Hard case for Hammond SK2? [Re: Michael Wright]
resigned Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

it surprised me. The interior width and depth are not much bigger than the keyboard itself but the back to front length is about ten inches more than the keyboard. I figured "great, I'll put the pedals there". But the end result is a bigger overall case than I counted on. Total weight is about 57lbs when loaded. Fits in the car fine and I can manage it but I may rethink this down the line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner