Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2428471 - 07/28/12 12:30 PM GP Guitar Reviews
DekeRivers Offline

Question for the eds : The guitar reviews in the magazine, in the specs section, any chance you could put a bit more detail for 'frets' other than just the dang number of them they counted on the thing? Some of your more discerning readers might be interested to know the height and width ( and more often nowdays, the material ) of the critters.
Also, some more details about neck specs would be good, you know, 'it's .800" at the 1st, .930" at the 12th, C shape'. Or how about if it's a Gloss or Satin finish?
I appreciate that the manufacturers don't usually bother their arse to provide this high falutin' info, but all your reviewer has to do is get out their dial calipers and start measuring.

Educational for the reader, easy for the reviewer.

All the best,
dR

Edited by DekeRivers (07/28/12 12:34 PM)

#2429041 - 07/31/12 08:11 AM Re: GP Guitar Reviews [Re: DekeRivers]
Fred_C Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: PA
I agree.

I often feel that the reviews (particularly guitar) are way too brief, superficial and lack specific detail.

When it comes to reviews, there is no such thing as "too much information".

#2506237 - 06/26/13 01:21 PM Re: GP Guitar Reviews [Re: Fred_C]
DekeRivers Offline

Browsing through the UK 'Guitarist' magazine, I notice that, in addition to giving the nut width in their guitar reviews, they also give the bridge width *and* the string spacing.

Meanwhile, Guitar Player are for some reason telling us which frickin' strings it comes from the factory with.

'Gee, I don't know 'bout that Knaggs Steve Stevens, says here it comes with Cleartone 10-46, but I'm a D'addario 09s guy myself'

#2564820 - 01/24/14 05:18 AM Re: GP Guitar Reviews [Re: DekeRivers]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Mmn-hmn... detes on frets and other relevant dimensions would be welcomed.

Though I can understand how the string type and guages on the reviewed instrument have a bearing on the described perceptions of tone, feel, playability, stylistic pros and cons; if it is said to sound bright and thin with light-gauge nickel-plated steel strings, I'd know that I could warm and fatten it up and add some midrange-punch with, say, some heavier pure/solid-nickel strings.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _