Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2424442 - 07/09/12 06:26 PM Arturia MiniBrute!
jimtheswede Offline

Loc: Overland Park,KS,UNITED STATES
I'm surprised there has been no discussion of the Minibrute here, as some other forums have been very actively "discussing" (and fighting, trolling, etc.) about this synth. And there are reasons for all the commotion. It's a very inexpensive analog synth with some cool and different features - multi-mode steiner-parker filter, CV in/out, USB, and Midi connections, osc. mixer, etc.

Anyway, I preordered back in Feb., and mine arrived today! It's a very solid unit especially for the price. I've hooked it up via CV to my Dark Energy and got some really wicked sounds. Been having fun with the arpeggiator also. I don't see how Arturia could produce these for the price! It's almost unbelievable. Good review at Sweetwater, SOS, and many on Youtube as well.

Time to get back to my new toy! smile

KC Island
#2424484 - 07/09/12 10:00 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: jimtheswede]
ivorycj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 5280
Hey Jim - thanks for the quick review. I don't even have my sample yet frown I'm not a huge tweaker, but I'm looking forward to delving into this one...

#2424488 - 07/09/12 10:44 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: ivorycj]
jimtheswede Offline

As I mentioned, some other forums have had MANY "discussions" on this synth, and was wondering why not here as well. There was a huge preorder demand that kept it delayed and made many people pissed, but thankfully they are now coming out (still with a preorder delay). But, it really is something different from the other manufacturers. A true analog that has some very unique features - I could go on and on! It the best $500 I've spent on any piece of equipment.

#2424614 - 07/10/12 11:35 AM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: jimtheswede]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
There actually were quite a few discussions of this when it was first announced, but they might be hard to find.

Glad to hear it's a solid unit, as that was my main concern and why I didn't pre-order (other hardware from Arturia has not inspired confidence).

#2424627 - 07/10/12 12:05 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: Mark Schmieder]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
My friend just received one. Not a single complaint from him yet.

His other gear includes a Fenix modular, Voyager Old School, and some ARP thing that he's gradually restoring - so he does have points of reference as far as sound quality goes.

#2424629 - 07/10/12 12:21 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: jimtheswede]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: jimtheswede
As I mentioned, some other forums have had MANY "discussions" on this synth, and was wondering why not here as well.

There are synth discussions here, but this is more of a pro player's forum than some. KSS for instance, is a lot more heavy into synths, bleeps and bloops.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2424706 - 07/10/12 06:17 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: mate stubb]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb

There are synth discussions here, but this is more of a pro player's forum than some. KSS for instance, is a lot more heavy into synths, bleeps and bloops.

snax

#2424715 - 07/10/12 06:53 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: dazzjazz]
jimtheswede Offline

Yeah, I know - as I have been basically "lurking" here since 2001. I come here for some "sanity" (that's relatively speaking). There is a "community" and knowledge here that other forums don't have.

Sorry I missed the initial postings about the synth. Just thought there would be some excitement about a new keyboard that offers many features that aren't offered elsewhere. I've recently gotten back into CV and analog. No bleeps or bloops for me though! I'm "old school".

Some other forums have some really wild and crazy posts about the unit. But, as mentioned, the synth has just features that the other "big three" don't even attempt. That's very cool and innovative IMO.

I think it is more exciting than the "clone wars" that are sometimes posted here. I assume Keyboard mag. will do a review at some point. I'm just more interested with analog synths now -it all began with getting my Odyssey restored - that's what started it all!

Anyway, it's the best $500 I've ever spent on a piece of equipment. Jeez - that's just a bit more than a Ventilator!

Edited by jimtheswede (07/10/12 06:59 PM)

#2424717 - 07/10/12 07:10 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: jimtheswede]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

All the demos I've heard sound too harsh for my taste. It seems good for those hard agressive in your face tones that can peel paint but the demos never seem to do tones more along the lines of something that I would use ... but it is only $500. About $700 cheaper than a MEK. I would probably spend the extra coin and get a Mopho or MAYBE that Roland Gaia digital thingie. But if you only have $500 it looks like fun.

Edited by CEB (07/10/12 07:11 PM)

#2424724 - 07/10/12 08:15 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: CEB]
Seannn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
The synth looks and sounds like a powerhouse, but there's only so much fun I could have with one octave. If they added a couple of octaves, then I'd be interested. Otherwise, if I were looking to purchase a mono synth, I'd save up for the MEK.

#2424727 - 07/10/12 08:35 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: Seannn]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ujiie San does my favorite demos. This one is not in English but it may still be worth a look.

Edited by CEB (07/11/12 10:55 AM)

#2424739 - 07/10/12 11:07 PM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: CEB]
jimtheswede Offline

The keyboard is 2 octaves, and feels pretty good, with aftertouch and velocity. Agreed that most of the demos on youtube, etc. seem to emphasize the "harsh" tones, but it really is capable of mellower sounds - that's more what I'm looking for, but it can also get pretty nasty if you want. I wouldn't compare it to a Moog sound, but it is capable of some
"nice" and smooth sounds as well.

Very nice synth for the $$!

#2424870 - 07/11/12 10:40 AM Re: Arturia MiniBrute! [Re: jimtheswede]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Hmm, this is sounding more enticing of a sudden... never liked the SH series but understand the role they play, and the miniBrute seems just different enough to be worth a check. Hopefully it will start showing up in stores.

Can't listen to Ujiie's demo for another week as I am between homes at the moment. But I tend to like his presets for the Arturia soft synths.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner