Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2423773 - 07/06/12 03:22 PM New format
Michele C. Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Milano
No comments yet? Hard to believe.
A change in looks is a change in identity, at least at first impact.
I have mixed feelings about the new design.
On the plus side I like having more space, at least enough to write Bass Player on one line, but bigger pictures are welcome.
On the negative side, I found the cover a little empty, compared to the crowd of words I was used to. I understand that the contents is the same. Maybe a cover picture with a small Geddy with a uniform dark background adds minimalism. The previous covers had much larger pictures with more detail and borders well filled.
I wish the font size was as big as the line spacing. There is more air and less ink, but legibility has not improved a bit, it actually is worse. I cannot read anymore without reading glasses. I think a taller condensed font might allow for the same text adding body to characters.
To me, all this whitespace says shyness.
Printed music is less balanced on a wider page and there is one less row, if I am not mistaken. I think legibility is about the same, but equilibrium has changed slightly.

#2423859 - 07/07/12 12:34 AM Re: New format [Re: Michele C.]
Michele C. Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Milano
As an afterthought, I should add that lessons have improved with a wider page and there is much more freedom to layout text and music.

#2427014 - 07/20/12 08:47 AM Re: New format [Re: Michele C.]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
Overall, I think it's a good re-design. I'm sure some guy will write in to the editor saying he hates the changes and that it's the end of the world. That always seems to happen.

Only negative thing that I saw is that the little tan (cream?) boxes for each article that list links and more information don't catch your eye and are easily passed by. I went through a couple of articles before I even noticed them. The font seems small and light, which I think is meant to be unobtrusive, but instead looks like it's not important.

#2429696 - 08/03/12 07:07 AM Re: New format [Re: Russkull]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

Loc: London, England
Good design but I've found less to read. The player interviews are the main things I read and there's just been one big one (featuring fairly obvious major players) so I haven'y felt there's been so much to read. There are only so many Geddy Lee interviews you can read.

Loved the Phil Lynott feature though!

#2435577 - 09/01/12 05:51 AM Re: New format [Re: Michele C.]
Tomboy Bass Offline

Loc: Ohio
I may have to cancel because the font is too small for me to read--especially if I'm actually trying to used the magazine for learning (i.e. using the lessons and transcriptions). These learning sections are my favorite part, but useless if I can't read them while trying to play. I'm not sure why you'd make bigger pages and smaller font.

Moderator:  Brian Fox, johngoldsby