Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2423257 - 07/03/12 06:30 PM Capturing the music from the noise
Ron Free Offline

Loc: Thurmont, MD
I am in the process of converting old reel-to-reel and cassette tape recordings to digital. One reel-to-recording from the early 70ís of my first band is real weak. When I amplify the sound the tape rumble is also amplified. Iíve tried EQing out the lows & highs and compressing. But, the rumble is still overwhelming and must be sharing the mid range of the vocals. A faint guitar is present and maybe a bass but I canít hear it. I do not remember what recorder was used for the original mono recording but I am playing it back on Akai GX-747 without Dolby NR and sending it to Sonar 7 thru a Sonar V-Studio 100. I have not tried cleaning it up in Sonar 7 yet because I am still trying to improve the input signal first. What would you do to rescue this important memory?

#2423266 - 07/03/12 08:09 PM Re: Capturing the music from the noise [Re: Ron Free]
Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I'd use a noise filter program like Waves Restoration. Sampling the rumble and then inverting its phase and adding it back is the surest way to do the least amount of damage to the final product.

#2425889 - 07/15/12 03:06 PM Re: Capturing the music from the noise [Re: Griffinator]
Ron Free Offline

Loc: Thurmont, MD
Thanks Griff! smile

Edited by Ron Free (07/15/12 03:08 PM)

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator