Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Garritan and Steinway no more?
#2422266 06/27/12 10:20 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I remember that Garritan was acquired by MakeMusic, but now i see they have removed their Steinway VI's and all references from their site. I went to look if there's 64-bit updates available, but I'm being referred to the Aria website.

Anybody know what happened?

Keyboard Corner Island
Re: Garritan and Steinway no more?
zephonic #2422273 06/27/12 10:49 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
I had been there recently and thought I saw it was still there. I don't know what happened since.

At one time, they were supposed to model all of the Steinways (grands, at least) from the D down to the S, I think. I thought I heard they had started on the B.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Joe Muscara #2422274 06/27/12 10:51 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Update: Someone asked but there is no definitive answer on the Garritan forums.

Last edited by Joe Muscara; 06/27/12 10:52 PM. Reason: clarity

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Joe Muscara #2422277 06/27/12 11:39 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
It's unfortunate. I had hoped to upgrade my Basic to Pro, something that has not been possible for at least more than a year, but alas.

zephonic #2422287 06/28/12 12:58 AM
W
Gold Member
Gold Member
W
Originally Posted By: zephonic
I remember that Garritan was acquired by MakeMusic, but now i see they have removed their Steinway VI's and all references from their site. I went to look if there's 64-bit updates available, but I'm being referred to the Aria website.

Anybody know what happened?

I know owners were getting quite angry and posting angry remarks about the lack of an update that has been promised for 2 years or more. A developer in the forums would answer with delay after delay with a promise once in a while that never materialized and I believe they did another piano. (B?)

The problem for Garritan Steinway owners who don't have the file is a download fix that corrects a "seat buzzing" that was recorded in the samples. A copy and paste into the samples to overwrite fixes it. Hope they still have download for the fix for the purchasers. I may have one archived.

W.

WheelHead #2422292 06/28/12 01:44 AM
M
10k Club
10k Club
M
Actually, I wrote about this here quite awhile back (maybe NOV/DEC 2011?), but no one responded at the time. I was trying to buy the Pro version of Garritan Steinway (no interest in the regular edition) during one of their sales, but it was listed as "no longer available".

There may have been some licensing issues, as with the violin and viola libraries that will eventually be redone by Sample Modeling. There appears to be a similar issue with Arturia regarding their Moog emulations. In both cases, it seems the vendors have withdrawn their endorsements (or not renewed them, if that was the case), and this is probably causing a refactoring or dropping of the product (I'm not sure if the non-Pro edition of Garritan Steinway was likewise endorsed).

If anyone finds anything out or sees an update at another forum, I'm sure several people here will appreciate having the information passed along.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Mark Schmieder #2422473 06/29/12 12:32 AM
W
Gold Member
Gold Member
W
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder

If anyone finds anything out or sees an update at another forum, I'm sure several people here will appreciate having the information passed along.

This was posted today on the Authorized Steinway forum by Justin Phillips, Portfolio Manager-Notation & Garritan Products, MakeMusic, Inc:

"Hi all,

Gary and I have been talking about this and the decision was made to quietly sunset the Authorized Steinway product. It's been a fantastic library, however we think its time has come in its current state."

"Users who have already purchased this library will still be able to download the installer via their account (either on Garritan.com or from MakeMusic.com when the transition is made) and download the keycard to be able to activate the product.

Are we done with pianos? Absolutely not . "

WheelHead #2422784 07/01/12 02:52 AM
M
10k Club
10k Club
M
Thanks for posting that update, even though it's full of marketing spin and doesn't tell us much. At any rate, it clarifies the status of the CURRENT Garritan offering.

I'm so happy with Pianoteq 4 that I'm not sure I'll still feel the need for a dedicated Steinway library anyway. As it is, I regret buying Ivory II Italian (i.e. Fazioli), as I'm having trouble keeping it from getting phasey and also sounding organic and fluid regarding phrasing -- at least, when compared to Pianoteq 4.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Mark Schmieder #2422814 07/01/12 11:53 AM
W
Gold Member
Gold Member
W
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
Thanks for posting that update, even though it's full of marketing spin and doesn't tell us much. At any rate, it clarifies the status of the CURRENT Garritan offering.

There is some good news in this. It has been posted that the 1.05 (long a coming) is finally finished with some important fixes that has been worked on for a couple of years.

Developer wrote:

"Just to be clear, there's no change to support and in fact a v1.05 update is finished and awaiting synchronized release with our other products.
The Steinway D came to end of life for a first piano version, and will be followed by the newer piano work that we've been doing - some of which we've talked about on the forum, and some of which we haven't "

I believe they are referring to a Model B Steinway.

I really do like the Garritan Steinway Pro. Though I use Closed Lid only. Look forward to trying the update, notwithstanding, I will believe it when I see it for download (not to suggest anyone is not telling the truth)

I am just guessing and as suggested here, I wonder if this has to do with the Steinway endorsement. Perhaps it was not cost effective IF it were an ongoing cost with the Steinway D samples. If that is the case, it *possibly* (not probably) may not be a "lets do another piano with better quality/sample recording/layers" but just that. (endorsement) The piano does sound sweet.

Sounds different than Ivory II.

Perhaps someone may know this with the Pro version: I never read the amount of samples per key as it was not advertised, I believe. (For example: 16 layers, 12 layers).

It is a really enjoyable piano to play.

About Pianoteq: I bought the Stage version. I LOVE it!! (with a couple issues until I found what I wanted). Not fair comparison because I do not have the Pro version of Pianoteq and I have tweaked my V Piano, painstakingly, key by key: BUT I still cannot get anything to sound quite as good and clear-toned as V Piano. (product I would think is getting a bit dated)

W.

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard