Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2431645 - 08/13/12 09:13 AM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: Mikeportnoyz]
Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Oh, I gotcha. There really isn't any published data out there, as the phenomenon is largely anecdotal. The theory is, when the ear is subjected to a continuous level of input for an extended period of time, it starts to "shut down", or block out the input. As this happens, the natural tendency is to turn up the volume. Lather, rinse, repeat, and before long you have a headache.

#2431997 - 08/15/12 05:38 AM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: Griffinator]
audiofreek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Prince George,CANADA
Mixing and mastering engineers are warned to watch out for too much 3.5k in the mix,as this can cause listener fatigue.When excessive compression and brick wall limiting is applied,you not only have less of a difference in amplitude,but less of a difference in frequency amplitude.As well,in the quest for a louder mix,these engineers are asked to reduce low frequencies that trigger the compression and limiting,and eat up valuable head room.Evetually you end up with something akin to listening to white noise.

Edited by audiofreek (08/15/12 05:26 PM)

#2433833 - 08/23/12 11:02 AM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: Griffinator]
ohmmy Offline

Loc: VA
fader riding is good. bus bus bus. also step back and walk around the room to a better perspective. even if you have a crappy room like i do you can still tell whats wrong in the mix. not so much when you are sitting in the sweet spot. also track automation is something that really really helps, and what type of compressor plugin ( not brand name)but type (brand makes a diff too) you are using on a particular track make a world of difference.

Edited by ohmmy (08/23/12 11:03 AM)

#2433834 - 08/23/12 11:04 AM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: ohmmy]
ohmmy Offline

Loc: VA
sometimes less is more and louder is NOT better

#2454442 - 12/06/12 03:23 AM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: ohmmy]
Mikeportnoyz Offline

Well that was really useful. I got myself a nice audix kit for the drums and so far it sounded gorgeous, also re-learned how to better tune drums, changed skins, did some work, the singers are getting quite better and i'm trying new plugins.
As soon as i'll have something new i'll probably post it here.
Now i'm struggling a little to find a vocal microphone and became curious on the oktava 012, they seem to have a particular grain and if you reduce about 3 db on 4khz (if i remember correctly) the sound becomes really interesting. Cannot still understand if it does fit in the mix or not, i'll probably post it sooner or later.

In the meantime, what do you think of this?
Youtube - Shine on you crazy diamond

It's a live performance recorded from mixer by the sound engineer that did the audio for us that day (this is another band ofc), i just took the stereo track and tried to do some mastering. Couldn't really fix the drums but i think it sounds good and it's not ear fatiguing. Altough i'm really sure it is, a bit. Could you hear any ear fatigue here?

Edited by Mikeportnoyz (12/06/12 03:23 AM)

#2454626 - 12/06/12 12:22 PM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: Mikeportnoyz]
Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
The only real issues I have with that recording are performance related (that sax came in on an AWFUL note against his voice, and the bassist seems to have trouble remembering to play when he's singing).

I did notice that the full vocal ensemble really pulled the rest of the instruments down, so I suspect you were trying to compensate for the mics being too hot by limiting, which is not the best choice - I'd have used a multiband comp to pull down the mid-highs during those passages and let the rest breathe.

#2455784 - 12/11/12 11:47 AM Re: Demo recording - help & feedback [Re: Mikeportnoyz]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
Originally Posted By: Mikeportnoyz
In the meantime, what do you think of this?
Youtube - Shine on you crazy diamond

This was timely for me, because I've recently gotten into Pink Floyd a lot more (and this song in particular). The lead singer works hard at sounding like Gilmour so that makes it fun.

I listened to it a couple of times and didn't notice any fatigue. The background singers do seem to come on louder than even the lead singer. Also I agree with the comment about the sax but not too much you can do there!

Originally Posted By: Mikeportnoyz
Now i'm struggling a little to find a vocal microphone and became curious on the oktava 012...

I hadn't heard of this mic before. Recording Hacks seems to like them in general, but I didn't see much lead vocal use mentioned?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator