Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2608357 - 07/03/14 08:15 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: David Loving]
Buzzzzzzz Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: David Loving
My mistake! I thought 99 cents was too cheap.

The Complete Album

A regular on my iPod rotation

With a title like "Bach to the Future: Piano and Synthesizer" I was expecting to hear piano and synthesizer _together_. From what I can tell by listening to the preview snippets some tracks are piano and some tracks are synthesizer; never both together on the same track. A pity - that could have been interesting.

I don't know what it is but with the exception of one artist I am always disappointed by synthesized Bach. That artist is, of course, Wendy Carlos. She had the training and the talent to use the right sounds and to phrase them expressively that other interpretations seem to lack, including IMO this one. With the exception of track 14 (English Suite in A Minor) the synth tracks don't do it for me. But perhaps I need to hear the complete tracks to judge them fairly.

Too bad Wendy's body of work is more-or-less out of print. According to her web site, "Due to major changes in the music business, we unexpectedly lost our ESD distribution, leaving us stranded with few good options." That happened several years ago now.

KC Island
#2669560 - 03/03/15 07:01 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Buzzzzzzz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Nice 1 1/2 hour documentary.

Watching this one tonight.

Edited by CEB (03/03/15 03:08 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2669591 - 03/03/15 08:52 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: CEB]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
I'm almost finished with this 3 Part Invention (or Sinfonias)
In this one there is always at least one finger held as a tie in either hand per measure (and/or into the next) . . . the 2nd page is just pure genius!

Really knocked my socks off this one, Bach's genius was never clearer to me. . . . It's having it's effect on all my other playing (non-classical) . . .why I love to play Bach beside the pure joy of it! This is 'back-burner' work for me, at it for a few months now....I usually eventually get through them!

Bach 3 Part Invention in D Minor . . .

Edited by Legatoboy (03/03/15 09:23 AM)

#2669755 - 03/03/15 05:17 PM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Legatoboy]
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
This thread is perfectly timed for me...

I think I'm going to start the Back two part inventions to help build up my hand independence.

Todd

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2669763 - 03/03/15 06:04 PM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Buzzzzzzz]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: thisspaceforrent
Originally Posted By: David Loving
My mistake! I thought 99 cents was too cheap.

The Complete Album

A regular on my iPod rotation

With a title like "Bach to the Future: Piano and Synthesizer" I was expecting to hear piano and synthesizer _together_. From what I can tell by listening to the preview snippets some tracks are piano and some tracks are synthesizer; never both together on the same track. A pity - that could have been interesting.

Well, the album is roughly half piano and half synthesizers, so I don't think that the title is too misleading... grin

Btw, that was exactly the spirit of the project: To put the piano and the synths in direct comparison, in a classical music context. Both instruments were unknown to Bach (the piano in its modern form and the synthesizer), so in both cases, you could think of all these pieces as "transcriptions" - of which Bach was a master himself.

I never thought to use the two instruments together; in my humble opinion, that would have suggested too much of a "piano concerto" sound, and I wanted to avoid that.
The whole thing has a rather "chamber music" feel, which I personally like for that kind of music.
Love the Carlos realizations as well, of course. smile

Side note: I'm not really satisfied with the piano sound on that album. It was so bright and metallic that I ended up playing most of the piano pieces with the left pedal down. Not ideal for your dynamics... freak

#2669773 - 03/03/15 06:33 PM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Sundown]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sundown
This thread is perfectly timed for me...

I think I'm going to start the Back two part inventions to help build up my hand independence.

Todd

I helped me out tremendously to revisit the inventions. I hadn't played them since I was a kid. I'm kind of go nuts on stuff. I will get on a kick and do it. I was on the Bach kick for about a year. It started on Liszt's 200th birthday. I started lamenting the death of my technique..... Wishing I was 22 again, all that middle aged self pity crap.

My new kick is now Chopin. That is really funny because as a kid I friggin HATED Chopin. I love short pieces. I just don't have the time, discipline and memory to tackle Sonatas and other long pieces. I like Preludes, Etudes, and specially find of Grieg's lyric pieces.

I still suck at Bach. I'm just a Romantic player at heart. My favorites will probably always be Beethoven, Rachmaninoff and Grieg. I suck at those too.

Here is a warped piece of doo-doo. Invention 13 backwards. grin

Bach does some interesting things when backwards.

Edited by CEB (03/03/15 06:40 PM)

#2890177 - 11/14/17 05:43 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

#2890207 - 11/14/17 08:30 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: CEB]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2890208 - 11/14/17 08:32 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: CEB]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles

Great playing!

#2890209 - 11/14/17 08:41 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Great playing indeed.

I like the tempo's a bit lower though. Maybe thats also because I'm used to my own tempo's.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2890218 - 11/14/17 09:41 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: RudyS]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RudyS
Great playing indeed.

I like the tempo's a bit lower though. Maybe thats also because I'm used to my own tempo's.

It's not you... they are a bit fast in general I think. I play them slower myself...for various reasons rolleyes !

I agree, she really is great but I prefer slower tempos myself! Otherwise you get the things Glen Gould was slightly put down for (if that's possible) the 'Music as a Museum Piece' vibe...she is wonderful though... I've played many of them myself! Richter was who I was steered to, so I put some of his WTC up...

Richter was explained to me as very close to a Jazz musician in his feel for classical...living in the moment more not in the Museum....I was guided away from Howowitz for similar reasons ...Always with the statement and understanding of how great Horowitz was though...it's a matter of taste.

Edited by Legatoboy (11/14/17 09:53 AM)

#2890230 - 11/14/17 10:15 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Legatoboy]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Her philosophy is the same as Glenn Gould.

"Bach wrote 2- and 3- part Inventions as a exercises for aspiring keyboard players to perfect one's technique and touch. Since any exercise is supposed to be difficult and push you to the limit, I did just that."

Glenn was emphatic that he remained absolutely true in performance of major works such as Concertos, Partitas, and Suites etc ..... But inventions, sinfonias, dance pieces, WTC ...etc... were open game for personal interpretation baby.

Hell I have no room to throw stones. I recorded Inventions backwards just for the hell of it. laugh

Edited by CEB (11/14/17 10:18 AM)

#2890247 - 11/14/17 11:18 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: CEB]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
She has phenomenal, super-human facility like Yuja Wang.

Stylistically in Bach, I favor more of a lyrical yet probing, relaxed and less edgy approach like Angela Hewitt (who I posted earlier in the thread), Andras Schiff, Mikhail Pletnev and the always extraordinarily musical Murray Perahia. And older interpretations by Rosalyn Turek, Dinu Lipatti, Myra Hess, Robert Casadesus, Richter, William Kempf. And of course the historic recordings by Edwin Fischer.

Edited by Dave Ferris (11/14/17 12:12 PM)

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2890250 - 11/14/17 11:34 AM Re: A Bach Thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Lyrical and relaxed is difficult. Chopin kicked my rear because of this. Subtlety is hard.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner