Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

After installing the update and powering off and back on it may start loading one of the System files (sloadV1003). I changed the file name to No-sloadV1003 and it still re-loaded it so I deleted the file from the drive. It works fine now. After it installed the file again it had to be powered off so it just kept installing it after being powered on then and asking to be powered off.

Same problem here, after couple of reinstalls just turned off when it prompts to and unplugged the usb drive, everything seems ok,

finally the tonewheel issue is gone!!!

8G flash drive is new and has worked just fine last couple of weeks. 1 G is old and slow loading may reflect that. Just tried another drive and same exact problem. Are you suggesting to delete sloadv1003 file?

On mine after I installed the update and powered off/powered back on it started loading the sloadV1003 file on its own. After it finished it told me to power off. Each time I powered it on it did the same thing. When I deleted the file it powered on and the new software worked fine.

Maybe whatever they did to help it work with some drives affected the way it works with some of the drives it used to handle just fine.

First of all, I was forgetting to hold the three buttons when powering up with drive installed. Starting from scratch now since I copied, deleted, and pasted so many times. Did try one time while holding the 3 buttons and all I got was a blank screen so obviously I did something wrong.

Want to thank you guys for help. All is well that ends well. Seemed there was a bad file or file that did not download properly. Good to go now. Also saved all of my different settings in folder on computer in event flash drive crashes. Also had to delete that sload file from flash drive after successfully installing the update.

Thanks for the help with installing the firmware update release. I was able to get it to install with no problems on my first effort by following the advice given by JMcS and removing the sloadV1003 from the usb drive after it loaded the first time.

The new synth strings are welcome and fill a crucial gap in the SK library. Also very welcome is the new "Stereo GP Pad2" patch which the library needed.

But I still miss a certain fidelity in the quality of the SK library sounds, including the newest... honestly, these sounds are not on par with most of today's keyboards. Oh it's nice to have them but in an era of 192k recording and HD everywhere it seems like the SK download sounds are stuck in the 70's. I know: limited internal memory blah blah. I'd prefer to have the SK read directly from larger flash or solid state drives and give us better quality sounds if memory is the issue.

But I can make use of the new ensemble strings and piano/pad patch so thanks H/S. Can you do something about the organ overdrive now?

I've confirmed that the sloadV1003 file should be deleted from the System folder after the first installation. The SK's can't delete it themselves so it needs to be deleted manually. The update PDF in the ZIP file doesn't mention this, I think they just used the original PDF and only edited the first panel.

Great! They continue releasing updates even after I bought the unit;)

I especially like this:

- Fixed issue, where the wrong custom Tonewheel number is recalled when recalling the patch with a different organ type.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

ANYBODY HAVE A GOOD STAND FOR AN SK2 TO PLAY STANDING UP IN A BAND SITUATION??? also I posted before about the keyboard locking up software wise, im putting in the software upgrade and pray that does the trick, it locked up 2x lastnight on me. ALSO A BUZZING COMING FORM THE KEYBOARD JUST BELOW THE PERCUSSION SWITCHES (SK2) sounds like a bad speaker rattling in the keyboard(no speaker in keyboard I know just describing condition)On the second sk2 as well, hammond rushed the 1st one back under warrenty and gave me a new no questions asked, has anyone else seen this, its really bad?????? quality control issoes for sure..

what is the difference bewtween a patch and a favorite on an sk2.. cant seem to make the preset buttons do what I want.. that is save what I set up on the keyboard and have a preset button remember it by pushing the preset buttons???????????they dont stay??help??

You have to save the patch as a patch first (pg. 35, pg's. 60 - 62) and then assign it to the favorites button (pg. 24). There are several modes for the Favorites buttons and they determine what the buttons do (pg. 76 #'s 11 and 12 - 21).

How do you move/carry your SK-2? In a case/under your arm etc? Is something putting pressure on that area? So far you are the only person to mention this noise. There is no difference between the SK-1 and SK-2 regarding the control panel or the parts under it.

I recommend the QuickLok M-91 "Monolith" for sitting or standing with the SK2. Very stable, quick and easy setup, plenty of room for pedals.

I played the SK2 under near-worst-case conditions last night: we were hit with a thunderstorm that caused a quick series of power surges while we were playing. Of course we quickly killed power and took a long break until the power stabilized... once we turned everything back on the SK2 worked perfectly as usual. It has never locked up on me, no issues of any kind to date (since mid-February).

• 2 weeks later...
Downloaded system 5 again and copied and pasted with same results. All lights go out and message freezes. I assume it does not take much time for system to update.

I had exactly the same problem.

For me, a system reset (hold the record button while switching the unit on) and using a non-San-Disk-USB-Stick solves the problem.

Regards,

Björn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! I'm new to this site and it's GREAT!!

I have a SK1 on its way to me and I have a couple of questions about it.

1) Can you apply the Leslie effect to the EV's? I had a Nord Electro 2 and you could on it. A EP though a Leslie sounded great.

2) If you have a single Sustain Pedal, can you use it to sustain the EV's (Piano/EP's/etc), but also trigger the Leslie speeds when in the Organ Mode?

Thanks!

Hi guys! I'm new to this site and it's GREAT!!

I have a SK1 on its way to me and I have a couple of questions about it.

1) Can you apply the Leslie effect to the EV's? I had a Nord Electro 2 and you could on it. A EP though a Leslie sounded great.

No, only the organ can go through the digital Leslie. The organ and EV's both have a variety of effects they can be run through though. (Pg's 84 - 95)

2) If you have a single Sustain Pedal, can you use it to sustain the EV's (Piano/EP's/etc), but also trigger the Leslie speeds when in the Organ Mode?

Thanks!

No, only a pedal in the Damper jack will work as a damper. Pedals (there can be 2 with a TRS Y cord) in the footswitch jack can control a variety of functions. (pg's 78 - 80.

SK-1 & 2 manual

Is there a slap bass patch available for the SK2?

No but there are 2 non-organ pedal sounds in addition to the normal and muted organ bass that you might be able to tweak to what you want with the Attack, Decay and Sustain parameters (pg. 75)

So I can use a TRS Y cord on the Sustain Pedal and use it to control Sustain on the Pianos/EPS and Leslie speed on the Organ?

There are 2 jacks on the back of the SK-1. One is a TRS jack that can handle 2 pedals with a Y chord but neither pedal can function as a damper. The other jack is the "Damper" jack and a pedal plugged into it can only function as a damper. It can damper both organ manuals, the pedals and the EV's. I believe any combination of the 4 can be on at the same time.

Sorry, I didn't ask my question right! Could I take the 1/4" male end of the Sustain Pedal and plug it into the 1/4" female input of the Y Chord, and then insert one of the Male 1/4" jacks of the Y Cable into the SK1 Damper Input jack and then insert the other Male 1/4" jack of the Y Cable into the Input on the SK1 that controls the Leslie speed?

I haven't tried that so I don't know. However, if it does actually work, there may be a few issues. Since the Leslie switch toggles fast - slow (and off if held for a second (this can be turned off though)), every time you hit the pedal to damp the notes you will change Leslie speed. Also when you want to change speed you will be damping notes for the short time you press the switch. The long and short of it is get a second pedal (IMO).

My mistake again in not providing enough info (I told you I was new to this Forum!!). I've got a Roland Fantom that I use for my main keyboard, so I'm going to use the SK1 95% of the time for organ and the other 5% will be used for Piano/EP. Please note that I will not be splitting/layering the SK1, I'll only be using it to play just a Organ or using it to play just a Piano/Clav/EP. So in my case, all I'll want the pedal to do when playing Organ is to change the Leslie speed. Then when I'm playing Piano/EP/Clav, all I'll want the pedal to do is control sustain. Thanks for putting up with me!!!!!

I doubt that shorting both jacks with the same switch will hurt anything but it is still possible. Since the switch will be changing Leslie speeds even when you aren't playing the organ sounds you run the risk of having the Leslie going at the speed you don't want when you switch back to organ. For as little as momentary switches cost, 2 is the way to go (IMO).