Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

For cases, check out this:

http://www.romanowicz.com.pl/en/klawiszowe/Hammond

I got one for my SK-1. Unfortunately I bought it here in Finland and (over)paid 199 for it. Seems to cost somewhat over 100 when ordering from Poland.

It's made of plywood and finished with padding and fabric. Pretty sturdy, being that light. And it fits the Sk-1 as a glove.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

Pro - you can also put some gaffer tape to cover the cord on the bottom. My halfmoon stays on my xk3c. For me, every little bit of time helps!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/306269_3226826183454_1804019965_n.jpg

Finally got the CU-1 half-moon Leslie switch for my SK2 (they were back-ordered from H/S). Some thoughts about it: first, I like it... I thought it might get in the way of my playing but it doesn't. Much easier and faster to switch speeds with the CU-1 rather than reaching up to the top panel. The CU-1 mounts easily via two thumbscrews (see Pg. 20 of SK owner's manual).

Looks like I have to attach/detach the CU-1 every time I move the organ. I'd rather leave it in place but that could be a liability. The CU-1's attached cable is a little too long so it dangles under the organ - unless I rig up some kind of cable management under there. The cables for the expression pedal and damper pedal are too long also so I may mount some small cable clamps under the SK2 anyway. Also the CU-1 is a little pricey compared to a simple footswitch but it's solid and "authentic" I guess.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Ok, I must be really dumb. I have been reading the SK manual to try and figure out how to assign a preset to a favorite. Specifically, I would like to assign the extra voice(other) called P. O. Love to the #10 favorite button and have it display the correct name when I press the #10 favorite button. I have selected the patch, pressed record/#10 until I'm blue in the face and it still will not display the correct patch name, although the correct patch sounds. Help!!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

As Tom wrote, since the favorite button #10 is calling up the Patch you want/saved you may just have to go to that Patch and rename it (pg. 76 #1). And then re-save it. Saving a Patch and then Assigning it to a Favorites button are 2 separate steps.

How do you have the Favorite Access parameter (pg. 76 #11) set? If set to Associate, the Favorites buttons will call up whichever Patches are assigned to them so for example User Patch #50 can be assigned to button #1, Preset Patch #3 to button #2 and so on. If it is set to Locked 1 - 10, the buttons call up the correspondingly numbered first 10 User Patches.

Edit whichever Preset Patch you are working with so that the EV and other parameters are as you want them and then save that Patch (pg. 35). Pg. 61 explains how to name the Patch and Pg 62 covers saving it again.

After the Patch is saved it can be assigned to a Favorites button. If you have Favorites Access set to Locked 1 - 10, edit and save User Patch #10 since it is already assigned to Favorites button #10. If you have Favorites Access set to Associate, edit and save whichever User Patch you want and have it be the currently active patch and then Press and hold the Record button then press the #10 Favorites button (pg. 24).

Did you go to Patch in menu and enter your selected name for that preset and then try record/enter?

No, because I did no editing. I just wanted to be able to press #10 and have the desired extra voice come up, as is and with the original name, without having to press the Extra Voice/Other button and scrolling through the sounds to find the one I want.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

As Tom wrote, since the favorite button #10 is calling up the Patch you want/saved you may just have to go to that Patch and rename it (pg. 76 #1). And then re-save it. Saving a Patch and then Assigning it to a Favorites button are 2 separate steps.

How do you have the Favorite Access parameter (pg. 76 #11) set? If set to Associate, the Favorites buttons will call up whichever Patches are assigned to them so for example User Patch #50 can be assigned to button #1, Preset Patch #3 to button #2 and so on. If it is set to Locked 1 - 10, the buttons call up the correspondingly numbered first 10 User Patches.

Edit whichever Preset Patch you are working with so that the EV and other parameters are as you want them and then save that Patch (pg. 35). Pg. 61 explains how to name the Patch and Pg 62 covers saving it again.

After the Patch is saved it can be assigned to a Favorites button. If you have Favorites Access set to Locked 1 - 10, edit and save User Patch #10 since it is already assigned to Favorites button #10. If you have Favorites Access set to Associate, edit and save whichever User Patch you want and have it be the currently active patch and then Press and hold the Record button then press the #10 Favorites button (pg. 24).

It was originally set to associate, and when I was unsuccessful making it work that way, I changed it to lock, per the manuals instructions regarding saving as though it were an XK*. Do you need to stop the extra voice button from blinking with enter before pressing record? Thanks, I'll figure it out yet...Believe it not not, I'm very computer literate and read manuals.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Ok, I just re-read the above. I am only wanting to take one of the existing "Extra Voices" and assign it to a favorites button, as is with no changes, so that it may be accessed by directly pressing the corresponding favorites button. Thanks!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

You can't assign an extra voice to a favorites button only patches. If P.O. Love is already used in one of the User/Preset patches (I'll use #98 for the example), set the Favorite Access mode to Associate, scroll to U098 and select it. With U098 as the active Patch press and hold Record and press the #10 Favorites button.

If there is no Patch with P. O. Love as the EV, pick a Patch that already has the organ the way you want it and go to the EV portion of that Patch and change the voice to P. O. Love. Change any other EV parameters as desired and then save the Patch either to the same number (if it was Patch #41, re-save it to #41) or if you want to be able to use the initial Patch as it was originally save the edited Patch to a different number (ie: original #41 saved to #99) (pg. 35) and then Assign the #10 Favorite button to call up that Patch. Have #99 the active Patch, Press and hold Record and press the #10 button.

Good Luck.

You can't assign an extra voice to a favorites button only patches. If P.O. Love is already used in one of the User/Preset patches (I'll use #98 for the example), set the Favorite Access mode to Associate, scroll to U098 and select it. With U098 as the active Patch press and hold Record and press the #10 Favorites button.

If there is no Patch with P. O. Love as the EV, pick a Patch that already has the organ the way you want it and go to the EV portion of that Patch and change the voice to P. O. Love. Change any other EV parameters as desired and then save the Patch either to the same number (if it was Patch #41, re-save it to #41) or if you want to be able to use the initial Patch as it was originally save the edited Patch to a different number (ie: original #41 saved to #99) (pg. 35) and the Assign the #10 Favorite button to call up that Patch. Have #99 the active Patch, Press and hold Record and press the #10 button.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much for this info. That's why I love this group. I didn't realize the EV's couldn't be assigned to favorites, hence my frustration with trying to do so. I totally understand the process now. Thanks again!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

New SK1/SK2 firmware update Release 5

Release 5

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 5

Apr 26, 2012

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1300.sys

- subV1014.sys

- LibAPianoPreLoadV1300.sys

Added Files:

- sloadV1003.sys

Updated Areas:

- Improved the compatibility of the USB flash drive.

- On the External zones and Organ section, the key range has been extended, so that it which can be set at beyond the SK's physical key range. This improves the usability when an 88-note keyboard controller is connected as a LOWER keyboard.

- Fixed issue, where the wrong custom Tonewheel number is recalled when recalling the patch with a different organ type.

- Fixed issue, with prural library on the SK, when a library has been deleted, the relation between remaining libraries and Patches is not right.

- The expression value "chases" the expression pedal when the parameter "EXP" is "ON" in the Extra Voice section.

- The LED of the [TRANSPOSE] and octave [LOWER] buttons indicates if the value is not "zero".

- In the "A.Piano" voices, "Stereo GP Pad2" and "Electric GP Pad2" have been added.

And new strings/pad sounds!!

Backing Strings

Backing Strings(Light Edition)

Hammond SK Voice Library

VL-SK008 "Backing Strings"

VL-SK009 "Backing Strings" (Light Edition)

This voice library provides the sounds of backing strings, suitable for playing long-toned chords.

This requires the system software SK updator release 3 or later, MAIN V1.112 or later.

Synth Str. Fast Mellow:

This instrument is Synth Strings with fast attack, usful to play with the white Drawbars.

Synth Str. Slow Mellow:

This is slower instrument of above.

Synth Str. Fast Bright:

Brighter one of "Synth Str. Fast Mellow".

Synth Str. Slow Mellow:

Brighter one of "Synth Str. Slow Mellow".

Synth Str. Oct:

This instrument sounds on octave unison of the Synth Strings.

Warm Pad:

This is a "Pad" that mellower than the "Strings".

Sweep & S/H:

This is a Pad which has moving feature by sweeping LPF and S/H effects.

Pluck & Sweep:

It sounds "pluck" first, then the Pad sweeps.

Out Of The Blue:

Like a trance music, fat and bright synth lead.

Synth & Chamber. Str (VL-SK008 only):

This instrument is ensemble of Synth and Chamber strings.

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd.

Maybe (almost certainly) a dumb question, but how to do I set up a patch with the extra voice on the main keyboard on the SK1 ?

I set mine up with EV's on the lower manual which I use a midi controller for, and never attempted to put an EV on the main manual... but it might be nice for a jam session to not have to bring the other midi board.

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

After installing the update and powering off and back on it may start loading one of the System files (sloadV1003). I changed the file name to No-sloadV1003 and it still re-loaded it so I deleted the file from the drive. It works fine now. After it installed the file again it had to be powered off so it just kept installing it after being powered on then and asking to be powered off.

The Release 5 update seems to have a few feature enhancements and it fixes the tonewheel set recall issue that was mentioned a month or so ago. A couple of new voices were also added to the System A. Piano library. Also USB drive compatibility was improved.

The new library voices sound very nice to me.

Maybe (almost certainly) a dumb question, but how to do I set up a patch with the extra voice on the main keyboard on the SK1 ?

I set mine up with EV's on the lower manual which I use a midi controller for, and never attempted to put an EV on the main manual... but it might be nice for a jam session to not have to bring the other midi board.

Set up the split so part of the keyboard is upper and part lower manual and assign the EV to whichever manual you want. Also, you can set the split point to the highest C and switch back and forth from organ to EV but have the whole keyboard for each instrument.

What size and type of USB drive? I used a 1 and a 4 GB and they both worked. My 16Gb drive had a directory on the same Level as the Hammond directory and it froze until I deleted that directory. Once that directory was gone it worked.

Deleted the downloaded system update and pasted previous system update to flash drive and no problem. Is it recommended that the previous system files be deleted before copying and pasting system upgrade files to flash drive?