Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2404979 - 04/18/12 05:55 PM Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp
Dlrshort Offline

Loc: NJ
If you split the keyboard and put an EP or acoustic piano to the lower manual is there any way to split the outputs to run the tone wheel through the vent to one channel of the amp and the piano to the other output of the keyboard to the other channel of the amp? Thanks

Edited by Dlrshort (04/18/12 05:56 PM)

KC Island
#2404995 - 04/18/12 08:32 PM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: Dlrshort]
JMcS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hammond is working on an adapter for the Leslie 8 pin connector that will allow the organ to be taken from there. The EVs will still be available at the 1/4" jacks.

#2405211 - 04/19/12 04:33 PM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: JMcS]
Dlrshort Offline

Does that mean you will need to connect to a Leslie and an amp to get that effect?

#2405214 - 04/19/12 04:56 PM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: Dlrshort]
JMcS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No. The SK-1 and 2 send the EV's to the 1/4" outputs and the organ to the rotary channel in the 8 pin cable when it thinks it is connected to a Leslie. The adapter fools it into thinking it is connected to one so the organ isn't sent to the 1/4" jacks.

There are instructions for making your own adapter in the XK-3 Yahoo group. The file name indicates the XK-1 but the adapter is the same. The only potential issue is whether you will need to provide the voltage that a Leslie provides that tells the instrument it is connected to a Leslie so that the internal Leslie is not activated.

http://tinyurl.com/XK-3YahooGroup

Good Luck.

#2405250 - 04/19/12 08:51 PM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: JMcS]
keyoctave Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Mountains, NC.
I made the 8 pin din adaptor cable to work with my XK-1. It allows you to control the vent from the organ along with carrying the audio signal. One of the pins is a 'Leslie sensing' pin that is connected to ground. So, all it needs to fool the organ into thinking it's hooked up to a Leslie is the ground signal jumped to that pin. I would imangine that if the SK has the same pin signal connections as the XK-1, then the wiring diagram from the XK-3 Yahoo group site should work for it as well.

#2405401 - 04/20/12 11:24 AM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: keyoctave]
mobi Offline

Check my post

Sk1's din 8 pinout

#2405684 - 04/22/12 05:23 AM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: keyoctave]
Dlrshort Offline

Originally Posted By: keyoctave
I made the 8 pin din adaptor cable to work with my XK-1. It allows you to control the vent from the organ along with carrying the audio signal. One of the pins is a 'Leslie sensing' pin that is connected to ground. So, all it needs to fool the organ into thinking it's hooked up to a Leslie is the ground signal jumped to that pin. I would imangine that if the SK has the same pin signal connections as the XK-1, then the wiring diagram from the XK-3 Yahoo group site should work for it as well.
I'm as dumb as a rock when it comes to electronics. Does any one know if anybody out there can make this cable? I really miss using my vent but I use a split keyboard enough that it's a real nuisance to bypass the SK's simulator for the tone wheel use the vent, then when you want to use the piano sounds on a split, to remember on a fly to bypass the vent, turn on the SK simulator. When both the SK's simulator and the vent are layered it sounds awful!

#2405771 - 04/22/12 02:18 PM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: Dlrshort]
b3 billy Offline

Loc: philly burbs
you need a hammond xmd 8-11 adapter, it has the voltage you need to get you from 8 to 11 pin then follow the posted instructions. the box tells the keyboard ""leslie detect"" you cant just make jumper wires you need the voltage from the adapter power supply.. remember this is a "dc" voltage keyboard there is no spare voltage there.. i did it and I use a kbr3d motionsound and all my controls work..

look up hammond sk2 issues I posted you need to know some other things here.

B

#2409373 - 05/06/12 02:49 PM Re: Using a Hammond Sk1 with the vent and an amp [Re: b3 billy]
Dlrshort Offline

The infamous adaptor is now available and works great. So much easier to balance the EV's. I got it from B&B organs about $74.00 shipped. I spoke to Rich. Extremely nice to deal with.

www.bborgan.com

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner