Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2402761 - 04/10/12 07:31 AM Firewire and onboard
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have a Motu Ultralite, Firewire interface. The problem is, while the quality is great, the product is a great big piece of crap. It is constantly getting stuck in a loop and not working or, even worse, regurgitating ear piercingly loud white noise.

From what I can tell, it's the "playback" section of the device that is messed up. It seems to have no difficulties at all with recording.

Is it possible to run the onboard audio for playback and the interface for recording or is this too much stress to put on the bus? Or maybe even a compatibility issue (running two audio devices)?
My Pics

#2407227 - 04/27/12 12:57 PM Re: Firewire and onboard [Re: A String]
Robitaille59 Offline

Loc: Dallas TX
I wonder about your computer. The bit about getting caught in a loop, could be an unstable OS. Or maybe you are trying to capture audio at a higher bit rate than your computer can handle.

I have a macbook pro and tried to capture audio at 96K and it would just lock up. 48K is the best I can hope for with this computer and DAW.

As far as the ear piercing feedback is concerned I had this problem when I was working on my old mac, an eMac. It had a built in microphone right above the monitor. I had to go into the case and unplug it. Could your system have a built in microphone some where?

#2407256 - 04/27/12 02:48 PM Re: Firewire and onboard [Re: Robitaille59]
Admin
10k Club

I appreciate the response, but the noise is more of a bus issue than a feedback issue. Also, it records fine, even at much higher bit rates, it's the playback that will occasionally give me problems.

Here is a video of it acting up, while listening to music:

Also, I've found that it will suddenly make the loud hissing noise, even when I'm doing nothing at all, and I have to shut it off to stop it. When I reboot it, it will play a USB connection noise or an email notification noise. What ever sound was played last, that made it crash. It seems to hold on to the noise and play it once it's rebooted. Now, granted, it could be Windows is holding on to the noise and waiting for a response from the MOTU that it has completed playing the sound. Either way, it seems to get stuck in a loop and not respond to the PC.
My Pics

#2407318 - 04/27/12 05:24 PM Re: Firewire and onboard [Re: A String]
audiofreek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Prince George,CANADA
You should set your windows sounds to all sounds off.If there is a help site for yor product,there may be an optimization page for tweeking your computer.I would follow these steps.It`s usually a good idea to turn off any hardware that is not in use while recording,and playing back audio,such as ethernet cards,USB ports,bluetooth etc...As well it is recommended that your firewire port is not sharing an IRQ with any other devices.

Edited by audiofreek (04/27/12 05:43 PM)

#2407328 - 04/27/12 06:18 PM Re: Firewire and onboard [Re: audiofreek]
Robitaille59 Offline

Loc: Dallas TX
Are you convinced it's the unit and not the PC? Do you have another computer to install it on for troubleshooting purposes? Also is there a firmware update you could get from the manufacturer?

Edited by Robitaille59 (04/27/12 06:18 PM)

#2407850 - 04/30/12 01:20 PM Re: Firewire and onboard [Re: Robitaille59]
Admin
10k Club

I can't disable Windows sounds as it is my main soundcard for when I'm not recording (which is why I was wondering if I could run it along with my onboard audio).

Regarding firware updates, it is fully updated, as is my firewire card and motherboard.

I do have other computers I could test it on, but to be honest, I assumed it wouldn't make much difference either way. I need it to work on this computer. The support at MOTU has been completely useless (I have a tech support ticket that has been sitting, unread, since March) and I've done as much as I can to set up the computer environment. This issue is either a problem with the MOTU or, more than likely, badly written drivers on the part of the MAC to PC guys.
My Pics

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator