Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Here is a link to the new SK Choir and Voice Library:

SK-Libraries

Click the button to the left of the one labelled "Special",

That link isn't working for me. I just went to Hammond's website and don't see any new libaries. "Reed Organ Kaisr" is still the latest library available.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Ahh ....it's a saturation, overdrive thing...proper gain stage; I like it.

Never really knew that before.

Soooo is the EXP50 really worth the money being charged? Wouldn't the inside guts be pretty much the same as what's in the FC7? -- ring/tip in/out connections to a pot...or is there an actual circuit in the Hammond pedal?

my $.02

as a player coming to the SK1 from using in line vol pedals, I am quite satisfied with the FC7, the overdrive features it provides and the feel and the adjustability to the stand up setting with the appropriate angle.

Haven't used the expensive one, and when you touch it maybe magical orgasms happen, but I'd venture to say you'd be happy with the FC7. (I find it does a very good job, especially once I tweaked the Sk1 foot controller settings)

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

SK1 arrived last Friday and has been incorporated into my rig. Using an FC-7 pedal and an old footswitch for Leslie control.

So far I pretty much agree with most everything I've read pre-purchase. Looking forward to digging in but had to press the SK1 into duty after only a couple tweaks (polarity reverse the expression pedal, using the 'noisy' tonewheel set, etc). The biggest disappointment as others have mentioned is the overdrive, although I do appreciate how it 'behaves' with the expression pedal. Also think the 'drawbars' are much ado about nothing seeing as how they aren't 'real drawbars' by any stretch of the imagination...I think the case could be made that the Nord Electro button method might be superior only because you get a more accurate read of what you're registering although the aesthetic is different. I see what they were going for there, but when I think 'real drawbars' I want/expect the satisfaction of the clickety-clack as you move them. A small gripe but more of an annoyance with the marketing.

Again, since I pressed the SK1 into service so quickly, has anyone figured out if we can trigger authentic Hammond reverse-key presets (say from another keyboard), or if they're available in a menu somewhere? My apologies if this is in the manual...that would be a sweet feature

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

From the Suzuki JP site:

Choir and Vocal - 2012.02.16

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK006_100

Chamber Strings 1 - 2011.12.1

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK005_100

Hand Bell - 2011.08.30

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK004_100

Tublar Bell - 2011.08.30

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK003_100

Recorder Szk - 2011.06.30

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK002_100

Reed Organ Kasisr - 2011.06.30

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK001_100

Updater release 4

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/support/downlod/sk12Release4.zip

Site appeared dead earlier, but is working (slowly) for me here.

Also think the 'drawbars' are much ado about nothing seeing as how they aren't 'real drawbars' by any stretch of the imagination...I think the case could be made that the Nord Electro button method might be superior only because you get a more accurate read of what you're registering although the aesthetic is different. I see what they were going for there, but when I think 'real drawbars' I want/expect the satisfaction of the clickety-clack as you move them. A small gripe but more of an annoyance with the marketing.

The more desirable Hammonds have smooth drawbars. You can even get conversion kits for the older models with ratchet drawbars to make them smooth! Or is that not what you mean?

Again, since I pressed the SK1 into service so quickly, has anyone figured out if we can trigger authentic Hammond reverse-key presets (say from another keyboard), or if they're available in a menu somewhere? My apologies if this is in the manual...that would be a sweet feature

I doubt it - you get 10 preset buttons in the middle of the keyboard, but those are dual manual presets as you already know. It wouldn't be hard to program something on a PC/Mac, or a small microprocessor device, to generate patch changes on keypresses in that lower octave though I guess. I've never really seen it as something desirable though - I'd rather have 5 sets of drawbars and buttons to toggle between the two sets per manual!

The new Choir & Vocal library is interesting. Decent quality and realistic patches. Several patches seem to evoke caroling. Again it feels like HamSuz is continuing to develop the SK's sound library for the worship market, which is fine, but I hope they expand beyond that with some sounds that have broader application.

SK2 HOOKUP TO A MOTIONSOUND. here it is my new sk2 I want the leslie to run thru the rotary and the ensemble sound thru the clean channels. you have to buy a hammond xld-811 which is an 8 pin to 11 pin interface (sk2 has an 8 pin) then follow the schematic on the motionsound webpage to go from 11 pin into the motion sound for audio and fast/slow with 1/4 jacks. I had an engineer figure out the voltage issue and we then opened up this interface, there is a propriatary circut board in there, you need this box to tell the sk2 there is a real rotary cabinet attached. if you plug in a real leslie the sk2 sees it )its called leslie detect) then the ensemble pianos etc go out the 1/4 plugs. the interface is 169.00 list CAUTION YOU WILL BLOW THINGS UP IF YOU TRY TO MAKE THE CABLE YOURSELF WITHOUT THAT VOLTAGE FROM THE INTERFACE.( just hammond doing their thing) also my fast/slow controls on the organ operate the motionsound kbr3d and also my legacy kbrm. job done complete and it works

• 2 weeks later...
I copied this from another topic:

It seems like the programming for the patch recording may have started out using some XK-3 code where different tonewheel types can be saved to individual presets but the last tonewheel set saved for a given type is then used in all presets that use that type. This was changed in the '3c so that both type and specific set can be saved to each preset. Maybe the change in the XK-3 to '3c software needs further tweaking. What seems to happen now is that a specific tonewheel type and tonewheel set within the type can be saved to each user patch but when selecting a different patch the type changes but the tonewheel set doesn't.

Edit: I organized the tonewheel sets/patches to better see what happens.

When using the Favorites buttons to select patches, if the active patch uses Mellow #3 and the new patch uses B-Type2 #4, it will call up B-Type2 #1 when the corresponding button is pressed. Pressing it again changes it to B-Type2 #4. If the next Favorite button contains any other B-Type2 tonewheel set it loads the correct set. If the next patch selected uses a different type of TW it will call up that type and the #1 set. Pressing the button again will call up the set that was saved to that patch.

Selecting patches by scrolling to them via the knob seems to always call up the type and specific set saved to that patch.

When changing from a patch using a Type1 set to a Type 2 set I have had occasions where the type xhanged but the selected set # stayed as it was and didn't revert to #1 before going to the saved set on the second press. The end result is when changing to patches using different tonewheel sets, always press the Favorites button twice to make sure you end up with the set you want.

Hi,

I bought a SK-1 a few days ago, and the keyboard shows exactly this behaviour.

I updated the instrument with the latest system (release 4), and i don't know if this is a "feature" of the update - i didn't pay any attention to this before upgrading.

I wonder if earlier versions of the system has this bug. Hopefully HS will correct this - even if it maybe isn't such a big issue.

In every other aspect I am quite happy with my purchase, including the Exp-50 Expression Pedal.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

The overdrive is nothing to write home about, if you exceed certain levels, where the distortion becomes obvious. I have the Exp-50 expression pedal. It's very good, but was it worth some 118 dollars more, compared to the yc. Guess i'll never know:) However, i don't see, how the pedal could affect the quality of the overdrive.
Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

It doesn't affect the quality but it can be set to change the amount as it moves from none up to the point at which the knob is set. Also, you might try the EPAmp type overdrive for the organs. It isn't quite as aggressive sounding (IMO).

The difference in the pedals might be the arc of travel each has. The larger the arc the greater the range of expression and overdrive change available.

Edit:

Actually. I mis-described this. The range would be the same, the fine tuning of the change within the range would be greater with the pedal with the greatest arc of travel.

It doesn't affect the quality but it can be set to change the amount as it moves from none up to the point at which the knob is set. Also, you might try the EPAmp type overdrive for the organs. It isn't quite as aggressive sounding (IMO).

Agreed. The EPAmp overdrive sounds more authentic than the Tube overdrive, but not by much. The overdrive simulation remains the weakest area of the SK and I sincerely hope that Hammond/Suzuki releases a future OS update that improves on this. So much to love about the SK and only one real sonic flaw: the overdrive.

Considering H/S's past history with updates, don't bet on it....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Yes, I fully agree. The greater arc of travel is why I chose the Exp-50. I haven't really tweaked that much the overdrive settings yet, except for lowering the amount in some customized patches I use. Will try out the Ep-amp on organ sounds - I definitely liked it when I built a dirtyish Rhodes. Works nicely, boosting the low end.

I've been looking into this thing about having to push a fav button twice to get the tonewheel-set that is programmed in the patch. Strangely enough, the below mentioned method seems to make the fav buttons work:

1. Edit the DRAWBAR/Btype parameter and be sure to push enter, so that the parameter (Btypex)stops flashing - do not push record yet.

2. Go via the Menu/exit button back to PATCH and record the changes from the P.NAME menu

Changing the Leslie type seems to require the same steps. The instructions in the manual, p.84 only seems to overwrite the Leslie presets.

Sorry, but this worked only momentarily. After fiddling with the Custom tonewheels, I seem to be back in square one.

Here is a link to the new SK Toy Piano Library:

SK-Libraries

Click the button to the left of the one labelled "Special",

Also, the Chamber Strings and Choir & Vocal Libraries have been divided into smaller libraries so less memory can be used if all voices in the full library aren't needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ..I just got the SK1 and Love it so far ....BUT I can't upgrade the sys or and libr....Initiated 8gig sanzdisk...l Its got like verson 1.8 ...tried loading sys 2files 2 sys and libs in sys folder......when I put it in the sk it just blinks usb...and mand reads sys load ...nothing happens so far for 3 hrs tops. Can it take that long ....??? I'm gonna leave it on overnight to see what tomorrow brings......Any Help out there???

It can take awhile. I suggest using a smaller drive for updating the system if you have one. I've used some 8 and 16Gb drives that either didn't seem to work or they took a long time. You can probably power down and start the update again if you don't have another drive handy. I stopped and restarted an update with no trouble but IIRC I used a different drive the next time.

Good Luck.

Hello again. Well I got up and checked ..Usb is still flashing and sk1 has the same display,,,,SYSTEM LOAD,,,,Insert Usb Memory..I had that on for 7hrs,,, I nust be doing something wrong...I formated usb... Downloaded the sys upgrade unzipped and extracted files on my computer Loaded all lb and sys files to sys folder and 2 user none in libr file I'm gonna try emptying all folders on usb only install 2 files in sys folder main and preset sys and try again.......Help

If it was displaying "Insert USB Memory", I think that indicates it wasn't installing the software properly.

You might not be doing anything wrong. I don't know enough about this but there may be two types of chips used in USB drives and one of them might not always work. I've tried to find out more about the chips but have not been successful so far. I have used 8 and 16Gb drives in my SK-1 and they didn't always work. One didn't work in several attempts and another didn't work the first time but did the second. I may have re-formatted it in my computer before formatting it again in the SK-1. I have not had any trouble with 1, 2 or 4Gb drives. Also, the larger drives seem to work fine for saving setup files and libraries.

The System and System Libraries (all the files in the Release 4 ZIP file) go in the System folder (Hammond -> SK -> System) on the USB drive. You can put the readme and PDF files in that folder too for future reference.

You might try re-formatting the USB drive in your computer then formatting it in the SK-1 before copying the files to the System directory. What brand of USB drive is it?