Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2390536 - 02/27/12 04:00 PM Multi Track Recorder
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
Hello from another transplant from the Low Lowdown. With Griff here I knew I'd get some real help. grin

I record my own music at home as a hobby (gee, that's original!). Acoustic guitar/electric/bass/vocals/drum machine/synth. Usually it's just me but every once in a while I have friends play. I'm looking to replace my Fostex MR8 that is falling apart.

Did a bunch of research a while ago and thought I would get an audio interface, but with an aging desktop PC running Windows XP and Mackie Tracktion 2 as my DAW (can you tell I'm cheap?!?), I'm not ready to make that jump. Plus I like being able to record anywhere.

So I want something similar to the Fostex but easier to transfer files to the computer. Currently I have to create a WAV file from each track internally, which takes more memory and time, and then transfer to the computer via USB so I can edit/mix. Seems like there's got to be a better way to do that. Ideally I'd also like to have the option to mix "outside the box" a little too, so some EQ or good effects (the Fostex's effects are not the best) would be nice.

I came across this Zoom R24, but I think Zoom has more of a reputation for being cheap components?

Also looking into a Yamaha AW1000 (discontinued), Tascam 2488neo (and the smaller versions), and of course Boss (but I'm less inclined to do that, I think they're too expensive for what you get).

Any thoughts here? Maybe some kind of portable mixer with a hard drive to transfer files over USB? A silver bullet I'm missing, hopefully?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

#2390589 - 02/27/12 06:50 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Zoom has done some neat stuff with portable recording here of late, and the reviews have been consistently positive.

Just looking at it, my impression is that the R24 unit is pretty damned cool, especially how it can turn around and double as a control surface in the studio.

"Cheap"? Well, I wouldn't bet the farm on the preamps in that thing, but I could see myself using it as a quick and dirty live performance recording system, pulling off the direct outs or inserts on vocals, bass, guits, and keys and then pulling a submix of the drums off one of the aux pairs.

The good news is, there aren't any moving parts in the actual recording part of the mixer, so you don't have to worry about whether it can survive getting dropped down a flight of stairs.

Doesn't mean you want to try it, but... wink

#2395288 - 03/14/12 02:18 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

In researching the Zoom and competitors further, I came across the discontinued Korg D3200. Details here. I can get it used for less than half the price listed.

This looks like a more serious piece of machinery, with the ability to mix / quote unquote master / burn CD's in house, plus transfer out WAV files to the computer. It also looks like overkill for me (32 tracks!!) but I'd rather have more (and higher end) than less.

Thoughts on Korg? Customer service may be lacking from what I read, but any other concerns pop up?

#2395297 - 03/14/12 02:40 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

If you can get it gently used for less than $700, go for it. Make sure you check out EVERYTHING, though. Make good use of the rec out, bring your own mic, and check every input for functionality. Verify the CD player's functioning. Make sure the hard drive is in good shape by arming and recording all 8 channels at once (you should be able to do that without anything plugged into them).

Another issue you may run into is hard drive failure - this is a pretty old product, and I don't see anything on Korg's website regarding replacing the drive and what size/speed/type of drive you're allowed to use. The owner's manual makes mention of accessing a "PC Drive" and specifically discusses the limitations of Windows 98 regarding what size drive is allowed. I don't see any documentation at all about what the maximum drive size for the internal unit would be. I would presume it's an IDE, but it could also be a SCSI - either way, 80 gig drives are getting pretty scarce - you may want to call Korg's customer service line and ask them if you're stuck with that small a drive or if you can use something bigger.

I would also follow the manual's instructions and create a system restore disc immediately after buying this unit (if the previous owner hasn't already).

#2395481 - 03/15/12 09:42 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Great thoughts Griff, thanks! It's apparently very gently used - old couple bought it, couldn't figure it out, and then returned to the store where it's sat ever since. (That's the story, anyway...)

You are right on target with the concern about the hard drive. I didn't even think about not being able to locate an 80gb drive. I did find a good forum about these machines - they must have been pretty popular - with details about the hard drive, which replacement ones work, how to back up, etc., so that should help.

If I do get it, I'll put up a review for the two of us that care about it. laugh

#2395602 - 03/15/12 01:53 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Russkull
If I do get it, I'll put up a review for the two of us that care about it. laugh

*sigh*

It's tough, trying to keep this place alive. AF used to come around pretty regularly too, which was a pretty big help. Alas, since Miroslav and that other guy got banned, TPS has gotten really, really quiet. Of course, before that it was just the two of them going off on every new thread, so maybe this is an improvement? freak

#2395616 - 03/15/12 02:47 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Yes - from reading some of the old threads, it seems like there was good discussion that got overwhelmed by crud. Those discussions can be cultivated again.

I'm just a hobbyist - and not a very good one at that - but I really enjoy playing and recording music, and it helps to have the assistance of knowledgeable and honest people like on this board and over at the LL. Maybe we just need to get the word out. Perhaps the magazine could give some coverage, like the way Bass Player has done it?

#2398647 - 03/26/12 01:18 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ennui, az.
Put me down as another interested lurker. Follow the threads, learn as much as I can, and try to keep out of the way.

Too broke to partake in much beyond reading along, anyway.

To topic (kinda), I use my old TascamDP-01FXCD, transfer tracks via usb to my pc, and edit from there using Kristal AE.
I think I might have you beat for broke and cheap, Russ.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

#2398698 - 03/26/12 04:27 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: wraub]
DanS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Montréal
I'll chime in too. Since playing increased with the band a few years ago, I haven't been recording near enough in my studio. Hoping to improve on that shortly.
Just put an order in on a new Rain Ion, which had better live up to it's marketing.

I like the Zoom, you can also use it to serve drinks during breaks ! thu

PX-5S, XK3c, Motif XSr, Fantom Xr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel-Steckos-Blunt-Instruments/556480307717684

#2398830 - 03/27/12 09:25 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: wraub]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: wraub
To topic (kinda), I use my old TascamDP-01FXCD, transfer tracks via usb to my pc, and edit from there using Kristal AE.

Yes, I think you might! Especially since I just bought the Korg recorder referenced earlier - $500 - most I've ever spent on a single piece of gear. Should have it in my hands in a couple of weeks (long story).

But wraub, that older Tascam looks pretty good, actually. If it ain't broke....

#2398834 - 03/27/12 09:30 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: DanS]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: DanS
Just put an order in on a new Rain Ion, which had better live up to it's marketing.

I like the Zoom, you can also use it to serve drinks during breaks ! thu

I had to look up what a Rain Ion was. Count me impressed (16 gb RAM!) but as you said, let's see how it actually works in real life.

Wish I'd thought of that drink idea before ordering the Korg. laugh

#2398904 - 03/27/12 12:31 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
I've been lurking here regularly for a long time. I just don't post because I've found in the past that I'm probably not tech-savvy enough to keep up with the conversations. Also, I think my recording techniques make some of the recording purists' brains melt out of their ears because I'm a n00b and I'm obviously doin it rong.
--Sun Tzu

#2398969 - 03/27/12 03:16 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: The Bear Jew]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: The Bear Jew
I've been lurking here regularly for a long time. I just don't post because I've found in the past that I'm probably not tech-savvy enough to keep up with the conversations. Also, I think my recording techniques make some of the recording purists' brains melt out of their ears because I'm a n00b and I'm obviously doin it rong.

Actually, I'm always fascinated to hear the kind of crazy stuff people do to make their gear work the way they need it to. Hell, my drummer wanted us to do our band demo old-school-like, so I went all the way old school and wired up 4 SM-57's (one each on his kick and snare and one each on my amp and the other guitarist's amp) and a single condenser (overhead) and then let the singers use their regular stage dynamic mics (they both use some weird CAD things) and tracked all five songs front to back live, only going back in to re-track vocals and add the bass (since we still don't have one).

It was totally '83 Twisted Sister sounding, with plenty of nasty room echo and other fun lo-fi artifacts, but it worked - the groove was better than I've ever heard out of a one-instrument-at-a-time session in a studio.

#2399103 - 03/28/12 07:24 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, according to some dude who used to be here, I was so wrong-headed in my recording methodology that I was bound to cause the torture death of puppies and bunnies in the western hemisphere, so I decided to quit talking about it in the forum and do my thing.

I have a Zoom HD-16, which I now gather is most often used by hobbyists who use sequenced drums, keys and midi stuff. I've actually found it's more than equal to the task of recording a rock power trio. It can record up to eight tracks simultaneously, so, for drums I use two overhead Samson condenser mics to capture cymbals and toms, an SM-57 as a close snare mic and a large diaphragm MXL mic for the kick. I run the bass guitar direct through an MXR active DI and use a Pod 2.0 to capture scratch guitar tracks. Then I'll go back and use my actual amp rig to overdub a "real" guitar track or two. For vocals, I'll use the same MXL mic as I use on the kick, but I'll use an SM-58 just as often. Admission: I'll sometimes run the SM-58 through the Pod and track effected vocals directly... hand-held. I know. Heresy. I tracked my band's entire nine-track album with these admittedly amateurish methods. We then dumped the whole mess into Pro-Tools to clean up any unwanted noises, add compression to the drums, do fades and panning, etc.
Here's the result: http://wizardeye.bandcamp.com/

Does it sound like we recorded at Electric Ladyland? No. But it sounds pretty much like my band playing the songs we wrote, and we were able to do everything at our leisure... for free. Huge benefit there. And we've gotten universally lovely reviews on the album. Granted, the reviewers are generally folks who are relatively accustomed to low-fidelity recordings, but I've found the quality of the recording rarely seems to be a concern for people who like music.
--Sun Tzu

#2399119 - 03/28/12 07:57 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: The Bear Jew]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Hell, the only feedback I'd offer is using a bit of very tight, low-feedback delay on the vox to give them some depth. Otherwise, the room wasn't all that friendly to your drum sound, but the recording is very clean and tight, not at all amateurish...

#2399120 - 03/28/12 08:01 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

PS: The two biggest troll/recording snobs around here were banned, so you needn't worry about someone telling you "yerdoinitrong". We call this the "Project Studio" forum for a reason - because ain't none of us got access to Abbey Road. wink

#2399136 - 03/28/12 08:40 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks, bro. We did work pretty hard on the recording, and we did our best to keep it simple--we figured it was best to make the songs sound mostly live... and then add a little extra flavor where it made sense. I think it mostly works, but there are also things I'd do differently now.

Not to get all silly and technical here, but part of the "unfriendliness" of the room towards the drums was the drum set itself--old heads, broken cymbals, etc. You can actually hear the broken-ness of the cymbals in some places. The guy who played drums on the recording is a good drummer, but he hits really hard and is always broke, so his set really suffered from his battery. Thus, the drum recording suffered as well. That's the one part of the recording where I feel we short-changed ourselves. Live and learn, huh?

And yeah, that room didn't sound great for drums, either--carpeted walls, carpeted floors, high ceilings. There wasn't a lot we could do to fix that... I now know that a couple of plywood panels would have made a difference.... even with the shitty heads and broken cymbals. A few folks recommended using triggers for the snare or replacing the snare and kick with samples, but we weren't willing to make that concession.

We struggled with the right effects to use on the vocals. As the vocalist for almost everything, I wanted to slather on effects and bury the vocals, but the other guys had more confidence in me and wanted them cleaner and more out in front... perhaps to a fault. I would have liked more of a slight delay on those, but I was over-ruled on that.

So, regarding the Zoom products, I must say that I have been happy with the HD-16. It's intuitive and simple to use, and, while I must admit that I don't have a particularly refined audio palate, I didn't notice any coloring coming from the pre-amps. I felt that the sound in the room was fairly accurately documented. There's not a ton of headroom, but I haven't found that to be a problem. There are a lot of features I don't need--built-in effects (many, many effects), a drum machine, mastering effects, etc, etc. They're nice things to have for some people (the intended hobbyist audience, most likely), but I'd rather have a bigger hard drive and more EQ options... still, for a simple, clean method of capturing sounds, it's absolutely serviceable. The CD burner is fine. I haven't used the HD-16 it as a control surface for mixing in Pro-Tools, but that's also a nice option. In all, it's a reasonably priced, functional, dependable all-in-one recorder.
--Sun Tzu

#2399501 - 03/29/12 12:22 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: The Bear Jew]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: The Bear Jew
Does it sound like we recorded at Electric Ladyland? No. But it sounds pretty much like my band playing the songs we wrote, and we were able to do everything at our leisure... for free.

Listened through this album twice. I think you captured the live essence pretty well without sounding too live. In other words, it wasn't a clinical recording space, but it wasn't a single mic pointed at your band on the stage, either. The guitar sounds particularly big and full to me, nice job there.

I agree with the comment about the vocals - felt a little dry - but at the same time it's so easy to over do adding delay or reverb (I do it all the time!!) that you might have been better off not messing with it.

I personally would have liked a little more bass (!) but that could be a byproduct of listening to it with useless consumer grade speakers.

#2399522 - 03/29/12 01:09 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

I think the difficulty with the bass in the mix was that the guitars were so very dark that they didn't leave much room for the bass to sit in the mix. In my experience, though, this is a signature sound of the particular genre (doom/stoner metal) - except when the bass is pulling rank and having a Geezer Butler moment, the two or three stringed instruments meld together into one sonic wall.

#2399769 - 03/30/12 08:49 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the kind words.

The issues with the bass sound, in my mind, were multiple...
One was probably the MXR DI, which probably wasn't totally ideal for our purposes. If I could do it over, I'd probably only use the DI for scratch tracks, but then I'd go back and re-do the bass with our regular bass amp tone and possibly add compression later.

Another concern was the actual bass--the bassist uses flats on a Fender P, which sounds great in a live setting, but, in tracking, I found the flats proved to be kind of a problem. We couldn't get the tone to sound present enough without clipping. In the future, I think we might try fresh rounds for tracking just to see if that helps the bass sit in the mix more nicely.

Griff... I agree about the guitars hiding the bass a bit--the guitar is de-tuned a full step, as is the bass. Live, it just makes the band sound large. When I add a second guitar to recordings, however, the bass can be masked by the guitars because they live in much the same sonic space. In the future, I hope to be able to get away with one stereo-tracked guitar... this should make the band sound more live, too.

But you're also right about the guitar/bass tone for the genre in general... the idea is to create a wall of sound with the riffs matching up to sound immense and daunting, so sometimes the individual stringed instruments lose their identities in service of making one giant-sounding creature of doom. The key is to be able to maintain that giant impression when the individual instruments move in different directions.
--Sun Tzu

#2426843 - 07/19/12 09:57 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: The Bear Jew]
castlewalls Offline

Loc: Allenstown, NH USA
I use a Korg D3200, I'm of the 'old school mind' of plug directly into and hit record...

It's a great deck, had it for years and have had no problems with it either. I can burn stuff to directly to cd or usb it to the computer.

I probably don't use 90% of its abilities as I view it as a 32 track cassette deck. I write & record my own material so I have everything i need to do everything myself (but a HUGE electronic drumkit would be nice!).

I record, mix & master right at the deck and the computer only comes into play when I need to post tunes to the net or make 'album' copies to send out to songwriter agents & publishers.

The only bad thing about the deck is its tiny viewscreen but there's a company who makes a non-invasive 'interface' that allows you to add a tv/monitor to the deck (and for other standalone decks) called w w w DOT 2seemy DOT com for about $150.00

#2426916 - 07/19/12 04:17 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: castlewalls]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for the input, castle. I've been slowing learning my D3200 over the past couple of months but still have a long way to go before I get to your level of expertise with it. Maybe I can bug you for assistance sometime.

One bit of frustration I didn't foresee is how many steps it takes to get WAV files exported to the computer. I was hoping for a simpler way than my old Fostex (see initial post) and the Korg actually makes it more complicated, if that's possible!

Because of that, I'm really thinking about doing what you do: get a 2seemy and try to mix everything right in the machine, instead of using Tracktion. That kind of feels like a step backwards in a way, but maybe it will be a little liberating since I won't have the luxury of manipulating everything so much. There's been a couple of good interviews in Tape Op recently about how having recording limitations can actually help...but I guess that's another topic.

#2427622 - 07/24/12 03:06 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
SteveCoscia Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
This is my first post in the "EQ Magazine" Forum. I am a 58 year old ex-musician who is setting up a music room (with my wife's permission) for musical composition, recording and fun. As a hobbyist, I have learned that it is not necessary to spend lots of money to get decent gear. I own a Behringer mixer and a pair of Behringer powered speakers along with a pair of Yamaha powered monitors. I also have a MacBook Pro and a few keyboard synths (some old, some new).

I am looking for a mixing console. The Zoom R8 looks fine. Does anyone have any experience with the Zoom R8? Or, is there another mixing console I should consider? Suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

#2427652 - 07/24/12 06:47 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: SteveCoscia]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

What do you need the console to do?

#2428200 - 07/27/12 04:45 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
SteveCoscia Offline

Originally Posted By: Griffinator

Thanks for the qualifying question. My answer is: Handle the digital recording and mixing of multi-track songs. I like the idea of having an actual console with faders (like in the old days).

#2428209 - 07/27/12 05:33 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: SteveCoscia]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia

Thanks for the qualifying question. My answer is: Handle the digital recording and mixing of multi-track songs. I like the idea of having an actual console with faders (like in the old days).

So you want a control surface that also has inputs and either FW or USB2 out to the computer?

That Zoom number you're looking at has extremely short-throw faders - the whole footprint of the thing is tiny. I think you'll find the process of working with it as a control surface extremely unsatisfying.

#2428231 - 07/27/12 07:17 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
SteveCoscia Offline

Thanks again for the insight. What would you recommend? Is there a control surface device with a greater footprint and long-throw faders?

The good news is that I am in no rush - just doing research prior to the next equipment purchase.

#2428235 - 07/27/12 07:30 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: SteveCoscia]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Truthfully, you'll do better price-wise if you use a separate control surface and interface.

The least expensive combo unit that actually has decent motorized faders and the like I'm aware of is the Roland VS-700C.

However, the Mackie Control Universal is an expandable interface with motorized faders and a ton of features for about half the price of the Roland, and you can score a decent 8x8 interface for around $400-$500.

The secondary benefit of this is, if you really start getting into recording multichannel, you can upgrade your interface and the control surface separately to suit your needs, rather than having to toss the whole thing out when you want to go bigger.

#2428336 - 07/27/12 03:00 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
SteveCoscia Offline

The least expensive combo unit that actually has decent motorized faders and the like I'm aware of is the Roland VS-700C.

However, the Mackie Control Universal is an expandable interface with motorized faders and a ton of features for about half the price of the Roland, and you can score a decent 8x8 interface for around $400-$500.

That is terrific advice. I didn't know anything about the Roland or the Mackie units. The Mackie looks most promising. Thanks for making the time to reply and research this. It's much appreciated.

#2428391 - 07/27/12 08:07 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: SteveCoscia]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia

That is terrific advice. I didn't know anything about the Roland or the Mackie units. The Mackie looks most promising. Thanks for making the time to reply and research this. It's much appreciated.

Well, it's only partially research. I've been aware of both units for some time. I just had to go dig up the links so you could check them out yourself. wink

But yeah, welcome to the forum, feel free to stick around and shoot the breeze. It's pretty quiet down here in TPS, but there are a few knowledgeable folks that hang out here. thu

#2428827 - 07/30/12 01:23 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: wraub

Yes, I think you might! Especially since I just bought the Korg recorder referenced earlier - $500 - most I've ever spent on a single piece of gear. Should have it in my hands in a couple of weeks (long story).

But wraub, that older Tascam looks pretty good, actually. If it ain't broke....

I actually am pretty pleased with the Tascam. It's of the "one button, one function" design school, no sub menus to navigate. It sounds good, the pres don't suck, it burns CDs internally, it has some usable FX, it records my basses well direct, and track transfers to PC aren't really all that complex.
I think I paid ~ $300 for it new, and it's held up quite well thus far. You know, for what it is, which is really just a fancier PortaStudio (I have an ancient cassette 4 track one of those around here somewhere, too.)

If anyone so desires, I could post a tune up here for reference. Of course, everything has been mixed with Kristal, but the recordings still came from the Tascam...

I'll just issue any and all caveats here now, regardless.

Peace,

wraub

p.s. Russ, how do you like those Equator speakers so far?

#2428915 - 07/30/12 06:30 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: wraub]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Feel free to post up (kindly start a new thread, if you would) - we love examining recordings with our electron microscopes... evil

#2428919 - 07/30/12 06:50 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

K, will do asap. Just let me find some stuff that's (hopefully)not too hideous...
Thanks, Griff.

Peace,

wraub

#2436350 - 09/04/12 08:23 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: wraub]
nsureit Offline

Loc: Texas
Time to resurrect this thread. wave

I take an "old school" approach to multi-track. I use a 15 year old Roland VS-1680 16 track digital recording workstation. There is quite a following for these old Roland units, because they were so good...and still are. They have plenty of available inputs, on-board effects processors, analog and digital outs, hardware sliders. Drawbacks: has only a 3.6GB hard drive, can't interface directly with PC, uses proprietary Roland song format, must backup to SCSI CD-Rom drive or old Zip-drive. In order to get tracks to the PC, I must use a freeware executable program to "crack" the WAV files from the Roland files, then export to CD then to PC. But, I just dig the fine quality recordings generated by this old hardware. I use it to record our band's live performances and rehearsals. Works like a charm, though it is tedious. To add more humor to my setup, I run an optical out from the Roland unit to a 20 year old DENON DAT recorder! I copy it to a stereo track in SONAR, and mix it with the rendered WAV files.

Am I old fashioned, or what?! Anyway, here's a picture. Cool, huh? There's a fairly active forum for the old Roland units called VS-Planet.

Edited by nsureit (09/04/12 08:24 PM)

#2436877 - 09/06/12 06:24 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: nsureit]
audiofreek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Prince George,CANADA
There was a software version that would allow back-up to DAT as well.I think the recodrdings sounded pretty good,for what they were,not a big fan of the processing,and EQ in those units though.

#2442866 - 10/03/12 09:08 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for the input, castle. I've been slowing learning my D3200 over the past couple of months but still have a long way to go before I get to your level of expertise with it. Maybe I can bug you for assistance sometime.

One bit of frustration I didn't foresee is how many steps it takes to get WAV files exported to the computer. I was hoping for a simpler way than my old Fostex (see initial post) and the Korg actually makes it more complicated, if that's possible.

Update: I've come a long way since I posted this in July. Figured out the WAV transfer process much better and I can do it a few clicks now. Partially because of that, I have been still editing with my DAW and haven't used much of that capability in the Korg.

Last night I recorded three vocal tracks (one lead, two harmony) for a synth/drum machine song I've been constructing in the box. I exported a mostly completed vocal-less track out the Korg and tracked the vocals with that. Pretty easy and I was happy with the results.

In fact, I generally like the Korg. It still seems unnecessarily complicated at times (having to remember to "arm" the built-in drum patterns in a sub-sub menu every time you want to record them on a track, for instance). But I think the internal preamps are light years ahead of my old Fostex, and I've actually found some of the guitar amp simulations to be good enough to use those instead of my Hughes & Kettner amp. Overall I'm glad I got it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator