Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2428827 - 07/30/12 01:23 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ennui, az.
Originally Posted By: Russkull
Originally Posted By: wraub
To topic (kinda), I use my old TascamDP-01FXCD, transfer tracks via usb to my pc, and edit from there using Kristal AE.
I think I might have you beat for broke and cheap, Russ.

Yes, I think you might! Especially since I just bought the Korg recorder referenced earlier - $500 - most I've ever spent on a single piece of gear. Should have it in my hands in a couple of weeks (long story).

But wraub, that older Tascam looks pretty good, actually. If it ain't broke....

I actually am pretty pleased with the Tascam. It's of the "one button, one function" design school, no sub menus to navigate. It sounds good, the pres don't suck, it burns CDs internally, it has some usable FX, it records my basses well direct, and track transfers to PC aren't really all that complex.
I think I paid ~ $300 for it new, and it's held up quite well thus far. You know, for what it is, which is really just a fancier PortaStudio (I have an ancient cassette 4 track one of those around here somewhere, too.)

If anyone so desires, I could post a tune up here for reference. Of course, everything has been mixed with Kristal, but the recordings still came from the Tascam...

I'll just issue any and all caveats here now, regardless.

Peace,

wraub

p.s. Russ, how do you like those Equator speakers so far?

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

#2428915 - 07/30/12 06:30 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: wraub]
Happy Birthday Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Feel free to post up (kindly start a new thread, if you would) - we love examining recordings with our electron microscopes... evil

#2428919 - 07/30/12 06:50 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Griffinator]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ennui, az.
K, will do asap. Just let me find some stuff that's (hopefully)not too hideous...
Thanks, Griff.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

#2436350 - 09/04/12 08:23 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: wraub]
nsureit Offline

Loc: Texas
Time to resurrect this thread. wave

I take an "old school" approach to multi-track. I use a 15 year old Roland VS-1680 16 track digital recording workstation. There is quite a following for these old Roland units, because they were so good...and still are. They have plenty of available inputs, on-board effects processors, analog and digital outs, hardware sliders. Drawbacks: has only a 3.6GB hard drive, can't interface directly with PC, uses proprietary Roland song format, must backup to SCSI CD-Rom drive or old Zip-drive. In order to get tracks to the PC, I must use a freeware executable program to "crack" the WAV files from the Roland files, then export to CD then to PC. But, I just dig the fine quality recordings generated by this old hardware. I use it to record our band's live performances and rehearsals. Works like a charm, though it is tedious. To add more humor to my setup, I run an optical out from the Roland unit to a 20 year old DENON DAT recorder! I copy it to a stereo track in SONAR, and mix it with the rendered WAV files.

Am I old fashioned, or what?! Anyway, here's a picture. Cool, huh? There's a fairly active forum for the old Roland units called VS-Planet.

Edited by nsureit (09/04/12 08:24 PM)

#2436877 - 09/06/12 06:24 PM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: nsureit]
audiofreek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Prince George,CANADA
There was a software version that would allow back-up to DAT as well.I think the recodrdings sounded pretty good,for what they were,not a big fan of the processing,and EQ in those units though.

#2442866 - 10/03/12 09:08 AM Re: Multi Track Recorder [Re: Russkull]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
Originally Posted By: Russkull
Thanks for the input, castle. I've been slowing learning my D3200 over the past couple of months but still have a long way to go before I get to your level of expertise with it. Maybe I can bug you for assistance sometime.

One bit of frustration I didn't foresee is how many steps it takes to get WAV files exported to the computer. I was hoping for a simpler way than my old Fostex (see initial post) and the Korg actually makes it more complicated, if that's possible.

Update: I've come a long way since I posted this in July. Figured out the WAV transfer process much better and I can do it a few clicks now. Partially because of that, I have been still editing with my DAW and haven't used much of that capability in the Korg.

Last night I recorded three vocal tracks (one lead, two harmony) for a synth/drum machine song I've been constructing in the box. I exported a mostly completed vocal-less track out the Korg and tracked the vocals with that. Pretty easy and I was happy with the results.

In fact, I generally like the Korg. It still seems unnecessarily complicated at times (having to remember to "arm" the built-in drum patterns in a sub-sub menu every time you want to record them on a track, for instance). But I think the internal preamps are light years ahead of my old Fostex, and I've actually found some of the guitar amp simulations to be good enough to use those instead of my Hughes & Kettner amp. Overall I'm glad I got it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator