Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2389138 - 02/23/12 05:20 AM "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?"
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Re: GuitarPlayer.com's "Which style shows the most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" poll...

Hmmmn, given the selections of:

Rock

Jazz

Country

Classical

Folk

Prog

-I'd go with Classically-informed Progressive Jazz-Rock/Country Fusion with an influx of Rhythm 'n' Bluesy Funk 'n' Reggae. (Just what to do with the ONE vs the AND beats... ?! Up for the Chuck-stroke! grin )

(Sorry, you who woodshed on Kingston Trio, Joan Baez and Bob Dylan! Especially since you all yelled at Bob for daring to play a Strat... yeah, that's progressive open-mindedness and evolving an art form for ya... wink )

Seriously- I don't think that any one of the provided genres are all that promising "for evolving the art of guitar playing", as each is fairly entrenched in now decades-long traditional definitions with a nearly carved-in-stone vocabulary and characteristic tones.

Now- I'd be GLAD to be mistaken here! Please someone show me to be wrong!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2430162 - 08/06/12 07:53 AM Re: "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Whatever category y'put J Beck in...
He's without doubt the most innovative player of the past few decades in terms of developing & combining playing techniques.

Just the variety of ways he uses to bend notes (finger vibrato, vib bar, pressing the bridge) is stunning.

#2430337 - 08/06/12 08:49 PM Re: "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" [Re: d]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: d
Whatever category y'put J Beck in...
He's without doubt the most innovative player of the past few decades in terms of developing & combining playing techniques.

Just the variety of ways he uses to bend notes (finger vibrato, vib bar, pressing the bridge) is stunning.

D, can I just plagiarize what you wrote? It would be so much easier than me trying to say the same thing with different words.

#2431218 - 08/10/12 11:45 AM Re: "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" [Re: Sharkman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Done &, uh, done, Sharkey. idk

BTW, it's not just Jeff's complete mastery of note bending.
His dynamic expressiveness & the way he trails off the end of phrases with little tweaks (a bit like what Derek Trucks sometimes does but more thought out, I think) add to his delivery in ways few others approach.

Plus JB does that stuff not just in planned performances but, if y' check out multiple examples of his work in recent years, he's capable of doing these things in the midst of improvising.

There are a number of great guitarists in various genres but I think Beck's become the most innovative & masterful player around today.

#2431371 - 08/11/12 08:54 AM Re: "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This isn't very recent but it perfectly illustrates the qualities in JB's playing that I listed.

Beck Takes On Ray Charles
& Holds His Own
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuK2msTzec

#2432105 - 08/15/12 04:05 PM Re: "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Did I break this forum or something ?

#2465192 - 01/24/13 11:50 AM Re: "...most promise for evolving the art of guitar playing?" [Re: d]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
No, the forum is alive and well, in a Rip Van Winkel sort of way, LOL.

There will be always be innovators out there, and I hope that GP will always be around to turn us on to them.
Whether most of them have any STAYING POWER, though, is another question.... I mean, after the novelty wears off.