Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2382690 - 02/04/12 03:24 PM so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
for 60 bucks...did i done good?
works great, kinda cool...thinking i'm gonna try a boss harmonist on the dry output and see how sick i can REALLY get.

it says to put distortion after it, but to me, that sounds like absolute poo...any suggestions? to me, it needs dirt BEFORE it to sound good.

waiting on the latest parts order, gonna definitely true bypass it. don't want anything from digitech/dod in my signal chain unless i want it on, ya know?

GP Island
#2382711 - 02/04/12 04:06 PM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Rules were meant to be broken, duder. As long as the output level of whatever you put in front of the Whammy pedal isn't going to burn it up, why not try it?

#2382716 - 02/04/12 04:25 PM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: pinkjimiphoton
for 60 bucks...did i done good?
works great, kinda cool...thinking i'm gonna try a boss harmonist on the dry output and see how sick i can REALLY get.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Combining my Foxrox Octron, DigiTech GNX4's intelligent harmonizing, heavy compression, and sometimes also my Boss RT-20 Leslie/rotary-sim, I can get this great, warmly glowing, kinda sorta Tony Banks/Genesis/organ kinda sound; while I can only play single-notes through that set-up without getting a big blurgey noise smear, and best way up high above the 12th-fret, it sounds like chords anyways.

it says to put distortion after it, but to me, that sounds like absolute poo...any suggestions? to me, it needs dirt BEFORE it to sound good.

In general, I agree that digital pitch-shifting of any kind that I've tried sounds much better after overdrive/distortion/fuzz/etc. than before.

However, FWIW here, analog octave-fuzzes (up or down) like my Octron, MXR Blue Box, etc. seem to me to sound great before overdrive or distortion, whether from a pedal or amp; perhaps better than after.

waiting on the latest parts order, gonna definitely true bypass it. don't want anything from digitech/dod in my signal chain unless i want it on, ya know?

I do know! I do! I know! grin thu

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2382752 - 02/04/12 07:20 PM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wilmington, MA
it says to put distortion after it,

The reason for that is to improve the tracking. Heavy overtones from distortion will confuse the harmonizer.

but to me, that sounds like absolute poo...any suggestions?

Perhaps using a compressor in front would be useful.

to me, it needs dirt BEFORE it to sound good.

That's a matter of taste, who's to complain? cool

#2382810 - 02/05/12 04:24 AM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: Billster]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

it says to put distortion after it, but to me, that sounds like absolute poo...any suggestions?

Hmn, you might also try splitting the signal after your distortion, sending one out to the Whammy, and the other around it to be re-combined in parallel after the Whammy by one means or another, or going 'stereo', more or less.

Bill's suggestion of a compressor post-distortion/pre-Whammy probably would help the Whammy's tracking, and would likely work particularly well in the split/parallel scheme, leaving the un-Whammied side un-compressed, as well...

Another idea: connect the Whammy to the effects loop in the amp (provided there is one)... ?

#2382835 - 02/05/12 07:51 AM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
just plug it in till you let that smoke out of it.

Lok

#2382875 - 02/05/12 10:23 AM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: Lokair]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Yer gonna need a bigger table! poke grin

#2382956 - 02/05/12 01:59 PM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
First of all, $60 is a GREAT deal on a working Whammy. On the question of Distortion before or after, I notice that Boss multi-effects always have Pitch Shift/Harmonist effects in the Modulation block, which comes after the OD/Dist effects. While this arrangement is probably due to the DSP demands of those effects, Boss also suggests using a Pitch Shift pedal after OD/Dist pedals in a signal chain - look in the back of those Boss Guide Books.

Just went and dug out the manual for my Digitech Studio 5000, essentially a last-generation DHP 66 - there's a 2-Voice Harmony w/Distortion effect, and once again, it's Distortion into P/S. I say pile on the dirt, Jimi!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2383104 - 02/05/12 08:38 PM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: WPsmith
First of all, $60 is a GREAT deal on a working Whammy.

While I admire the working Whammy, stay at home Whammies are the backbone of our society... wink

Originally Posted By: WPsmith
On the question of Distortion before or after, I notice that Boss multi-effects always have Pitch Shift/Harmonist effects in the Modulation block, which comes after the OD/Dist effects. While this arrangement is probably due to the DSP demands of those effects, Boss also suggests using a Pitch Shift pedal after OD/Dist pedals in a signal chain - look in the back of those Boss Guide Books.

Just went and dug out the manual for my Digitech Studio 5000, essentially a last-generation DHP 66 - there's a 2-Voice Harmony w/Distortion effect, and once again, it's Distortion into P/S. I say pile on the dirt, Jimi!

Yeeeaah, man... ! Bury it! rawk grin thu cool

#2383163 - 02/06/12 05:15 AM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wilmington, MA
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
it says to put distortion after it, but to me, that sounds like absolute poo...any suggestions?

Bill's suggestion of a compressor post-distortion/pre-Whammy probably would help the Whammy's tracking,

I mean using the compresor instead of distortion. Distortion is really just fuzzy compression anyway wink

Another idea: connect the Whammy to the effects loop in the amp (provided there is one)... ?

That's another good idea.

#2383290 - 02/06/12 09:40 AM Re: so, i bought a whammy pedal yesterday [Re: Billster]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
Originally Posted By: Billster

Bill's suggestion of a compressor post-distortion/pre-Whammy probably would help the Whammy's tracking,

I mean using the compresor instead of distortion. Distortion is really just fuzzy compression anyway wink

That's another good idea.

no, distortion is a lot more than fuzzy compression...lol...tho distortion can CAUSE compression...there's a lot of difference between the two!!!

i rarely, if ever use compression other than that caused by my amp...if i do, i tend to use it backwards so it's more of a limiter.

but..me? play clean? heresy!!!!!

grin

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose