Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

OK - I did a session a few years back. Originally, this was recorded as a country-style song. The songwriter wanted to do it in a more CCR (Contemporary Christian radio) vein.

I used a Lull M4 (Fralin pups) with the active circuit by-passed.

Back story - I got a call from Terry Brock (toured/recorded with Kansas). We had worked together a few times at Margaritaville/Key West and he had a friend who was a producer/engineer who needed to borrow a bass for a track that he had inadvertently erased the bass track from. We happened to live close by, I brought over some basses for him to try out and he offered me the chance to do some work for him in return.

I can't post music tracks, but this was used on another forum where they posted it. Click the link and go to post #11 and click on "I Believe" in the post.

#11 "I Believe"

Looking forward to your insights. Caveat - the producer loves compression.

Very nice. I would have started going nuts with fills at the end, but when I listen to most music on the radio these days, no one seems to do that anymore.

I've got a Lull bass with Lindy Fralin pickups too, but with that amount of compression, it wouldn't really have mattered what bass you started with. However, the sound works just fine with the rest of the music.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

J:

Song 2: allowed the rhythm some room to grow, supported the vocal well, I would have preferred more bass in the mix and would have added more momentum with slides and passing tones but your line helped it build well without bludgeoning the rhythm.

This was an early version of the way we play the song. I'm not sure where the recording came from, it might have been live. The bandleader/singer/guitarist records a lot of stuff with a Zoom recorder. My part has evolved over the years and now includes little pieces of the melody and a few more connections. Mostly, though, I'm just trying to get a super-tight groove with the dumbek player.

Very nice. I would have started going nuts with fills at the end, but when I listen to most music on the radio these days, no one seems to do that anymore.

I've got a Lull bass with Lindy Fralin pickups too, but with that amount of compression, it wouldn't really have mattered what bass you started with. However, the sound works just fine with the rest of the music.

Thanks Jeremy,

I should add one thing:

This producer/engineer (guitarist/pianist also) specialized in finding new singer/songwriters who were not under contract. He'd produce their songs as a demo and shop them around. Most productions were fairly bare with the intent to showcase the song/singer. That's what I was expecting.

Turns out that he liked the song, bought the rights and had his wife (already a signed artist) sing the song.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Interesting. It doesn't sound like anything else and that's a very good thing.

Well, mission accomplished!

Yamaha BB300, Gretsch Bass VI, Fender Telecaster, Casio keys, Yamaha drum machine, cymbals.

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger!.. Voted "Top Ten Best Bass Player"-2011 Austin Music Awards.. Professional fake Beatle.

Here goes! I've had the good fortune to be playing wiht a pretty cool duo called Starnes & Shah for close to the past 2 years. Over the summer we went into the recording studio to record Red Brick Tide. Sorry, I don't have full song samples available for listening at this time.

I listened to samples. Pretty creative music. My only comment is that the whole thing sounds kind of muddy to me, no instruments are very clear.

This is one of my more touching pieces...

http://www.box.com/shared/static/5fl62ykmmm.mp3

It's about the angst of a monkey trained as a ninja from birth. Even though he's a killing machine that wreaks havoc on everyone around him, he feels bad about it.....but not too bad. I hope you enjoy it.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

http://www.box.com/shared/static/5fl62ykmmm.mp3

It's about the angst of a monkey trained as a ninja from birth. Even though he's a killing machine that wreaks havoc on everyone around him, he feels bad about it.....but not too bad. I hope you enjoy it.

Wow!

my ears! no!

Although I hate to spam people, feel free to add a thumbs up to the second definition!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lug

ETi7Bass:

So are you using a distortion pedal? If so, which one? Or are you just overdriving the input on your video camera?

You need to get out of your room and get in a band, I'm sure there are a lot of bands that would love to have you.

Plus, your a lefty. Lefties tend to be more inventive, are easier to get along with, hold their liquor better, are more likely to be the envy of both other men and women, are obviously better looking, and of course, are far more modest than any other type of person in the known and unknown universe. Nice playing, too. :D

How do you bump a sticky thread? You lazy bastages post something! :mad:

My first DVD edit into iMovie:

To keep it shorter I skipped the early verses and choruses and started at the horn riff. This was done for a labor day event for the Santa Cruz Labor Council sometime near the turn of the century. I'll have to look it up for exact date.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Oh, my gosh, that is so FABULOUSLY FUNKY! Have always loved that song, and I like this version even better than the original.

Jeez, I would give anything to be able to play and sing that well! Holy smokes, Wally!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Get down with your bad self, Wally!

To keep it shorter I skipped the early verses and choruses and started at the horn riff. This was done for a labor day event for the Santa Cruz Labor Council sometime near the turn of the century. I'll have to look it up for exact date.

Wally

Wally

Koolaid voice on......

OHHH YEAHHHHHH!

Plus 1: Funk in a Tux (sans Jacket)

Singing a funk tune in a Tux (sans jacket)

Reigning in a horn section (sans jacket)

Minus 1: Playing a funk tune with a bass with a partially missing headstock: Really? - you couldn't afford a bass with a REAL headstock?

:wave:

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Hello there!

I'm a nostalgic.. when I was young I spent many days playing them.. I love the soundtrack of the video games from the '80!

that's my tribute!

I wish you a happy new year!!!!

Alberto

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Bubble Bobble!

My son (about age 5) played that game constantly. I think he got up to about 4,000,000 points. Of course the game wasn't designed to go that far, so weird glitches started happening as the score got higher. Of course I had to play too and I got up to a million.

We still have the Commodore 64 and the game (and hundreds of others) in a box in the garage.

Thanks for the memories. Now I'll have the song buzzing around in my head for months.

i didn't know you could sing!

My singing has been aided by performing for over forty years with my wife who is a world class singer. It is also great to have had the opportunity to play with so many good musicians over the years.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

So after all these years of posts, gear and such, some of you probably wonder if I even play. Well, here's a clip from NYE this year. I think it's OK so I'll post it up. It's a board mix, first time with the new board, recording, etc. Also my last gig with the band. For what it's worth...