Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it suck? Actually no, I liked it. That bass sounds really nice. The only thing I can point out is that there were a couple of fast runs near the end that lost the mood for me but the long notes with that great "mwah" tone brought me back in.

Nice work!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I dug it. As is, it's a nice piece of incidental music but it could go in a few different places. I can hear other instruments if that's what you decided to do.

Critique? The intonation in a few places could be cleaned up if you wanted to present it in a professional setting. And if it were to be a track on the record, it could use a bridge or B section. It's a bit long to be on one theme. But the vibe is nice. It evokes an after hours point downtown.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

that is worth re-learning and rearranging. my most recent work is in my signature. what y'all think?

That sounded good too. The performances are good. The recorded had a bit of a "bareness" to it. The drums were very dry -- both in feel and in sound. They could have used some reverb and a little more finesse. I think the hook could have been made stronger with a harmony on "We are overjoyed" and I would have gotten to it a little sooner and repeated it once more -- even fading out on it. If you have a hook, you have a song. It comes down to arrangement and production.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

that is worth re-learning and rearranging. my most recent work is in my signature. what y'all think?

I liked it. I agree with plangent that the drums (mainly the snair) was a bit too dry. The singer has a great voice and if she could have dubbed in a harmony above her vocal in the chorus that would have made quite an impact for me.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Thanks guys, real helpful ideas.

Rumpelstiltskin.

Dig the simplicity and the fills in the bass. The offbeat (bridge) thing I would have played against it in the bass with heavy downbeats rather than going with it which would have created more tension - but that's just me. I like tension.

Enjoyed the song a lot - and agree about the snare sound. The cut out at the end is very effective.

Here goes! I've had the good fortune to be playing wiht a pretty cool duo called Starnes & Shah for close to the past 2 years. Over the summer we went into the recording studio to record Red Brick Tide. Sorry, I don't have full song samples available for listening at this time.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Where's the sticky for dishonest feedback?

"that was great, man! keep up the good work."

:D I should post something!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Bump.

Now THAT is funny! :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Here goes! I've had the good fortune to be playing wiht a pretty cool duo called Starnes & Shah for close to the past 2 years. Over the summer we went into the recording studio to record Red Brick Tide. Sorry, I don't have full song samples available for listening at this time.

Very together sounding stuff Nick, and the bass is just right - spot on in fact. The bass sits nicely in the mix. Some catchy tunes too! I like the melodic twist/longer line on Think Twice best.

JC, OG: Song 1 - great, funky groove - great arrangement,

Song 2: allowed the rhythm some room to grow, supported the vocal well, I would have preferred more bass in the mix and would have added more momentum with slides and passing tones but your line helped it build well without bludgeoning the rhythm.

OK - I did a session a few years back. Originally, this was recorded as a country-style song. The songwriter wanted to do it in a more CCR (Contemporary Christian radio) vein.

I used a Lull M4 (Fralin pups) with the active circuit by-passed.

Back story - I got a call from Terry Brock (toured/recorded with Kansas). We had worked together a few times at Margaritaville/Key West and he had a friend who was a producer/engineer who needed to borrow a bass for a track that he had inadvertently erased the bass track from. We happened to live close by, I brought over some basses for him to try out and he offered me the chance to do some work for him in return.

I can't post music tracks, but this was used on another forum where they posted it. Click the link and go to post #11 and click on "I Believe" in the post.

#11 "I Believe"

Looking forward to your insights. Caveat - the producer loves compression.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I listened to Jeremy Song 2 - I agree with Phil that the bass needs to be more up front. sounded good - supportive.

JBFLA - like the up-front-ness of the mix. Again, very supportive and rooted. I like the bit of "warble" at the end. It would have been OK with me if you experimented more for the repeated refrains at the end, but I'm guessing they liked your steady, solid play here.

Will try to find something I can post....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

...I like the bit of "warble" at the end. It would have been OK with me if you experimented more for the repeated refrains at the end, but I'm guessing they liked your steady, solid play here...

Tom

That's funny Tom, that is exactly what the engineer wanted. We went back and redid a couple of spots at the end... kinda caught me off-guard.

The song was originally country, but they wanted to change it. He sent me a new file with nothing but a scratch vocal, piano and drum machine track. That's what I worked on. When I got there everything you hear (except the bass) was on there and I had to rethink my bass part - was way to busy for what had already been done. I think maybe I went too far the other way.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

A couple of 'sketches' I clobbered together while up in Scotland for a few days. There was a hurricane blowing through (peak gust = 165mph!) so I kept my head down that night & popped these onto the Fostex.

They are not perfect, some inaccuracies, but just working out an idea or two.

I don't usually play slide & I forgot to bring a plectrum (pick to you transatlantic guys) so I played lead in 'All Right By Me' using my fingers & improvised the solo.

I used a plastic paper clip in 'Straw In Your Hair' and I don't usually play slide, but it seemed right for this. I didn't mean to leave 36 in the middle, but suffered a 'Zen' moment listening to my own music & missed the 'in'(!!!).

Fostex MX8 fed through a Digitech Genesis 1. Yamaha G5A bass with RBX365 pickups. Custom Strat with DiMarzio TDS1s bridge & neck with a Levenson Blade centre pickup. EV microphone.

(Can't I embed Soundcloud here?)

I've added these to my Soundcloud & Soundclick accounts. Have to say I think the sound quality is better with Soundclick - headphones desireable here.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11283092

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11283098

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Geoff -

It's tough to post a critique on these efforts without calling up a reference to someone else.

That said - I enjoyed "Allright 1". Laid back, but edgy in a Dire Straits sorta way. That's a good thing in my mind.

Comparison? - Sort of a (mellow) Billy Idol and Mark Knopfler collaboration.

I don't think you'd find that combination in "real life", so that's a winner in my mind.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I realised it was Dire Staits-ish when I put it down. I've been listening to 'The Rag Picker's Dream' recently & it's obviously influenced me.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!