Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2317859 - 07/04/11 12:40 PM Akai EIE
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ennui, az.
Hey Griff, nice place you have here.

Got a question for the peeps here:

Anyone have any knowledge/experience yet with this thing?

I am currently using a Tascam DP-01fxcd for recording,and then transferring tracks to my PC for further editing and treatment, and it's time consuming and bothersome, as one might expect.
I've been researching interfaces, and this one don't look that bad.

Anybody?

TIA!

Peace,

wraub

#2317879 - 07/04/11 01:30 PM Re: Akai EIE [Re: wraub]
Happy Birthday Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I've not used one (in fact, this is the first I've heard of it), but I'd be highly nervous about a box that cheap which also integrates a USB hub, especially when it doesn't really sound like you need a hub, not to mention the VU meters, which come off like unnecessary flash (and cost).

If I'm buying a $200 interface, I want it to be as no-frills as possible, so I know I'm buying as much clean preamp and AD/DA as I can get out of it. Any unnecessary feature is a red-light for me that this box is sacrificing what I really want for stuff I don't want.

Just one man's NSHO wink
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2317927 - 07/04/11 04:33 PM Re: Akai EIE [Re: Griffinator]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Funnily enough, that was also my impression.

Since you bring it up, any good offerings in the sub-$300 range?

Peace,

wraub

#2317976 - 07/04/11 07:21 PM Re: Akai EIE [Re: wraub]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2341802 - 09/22/11 08:13 PM Re: Akai EIE [Re: Griffinator]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks, Griff, for the info, and my apologies for the delayed response. Life, and stuff...

Those boxes both look good to me, and I will probably get into one or the other asap. However, a couple of Qs...

Is there any noticeably sonic difference in recording quality between usb/firewire? Or any difference in PC performance?

Any thoughts/input on the PreSonus StudioOne software?
Some really wide territory in the reviews I have seen, but most seem to find it lacking...

I am still doing the track transfer thing, and I am just about to bring a hammer into my studio space... wink

Thanks again.

Peace,

wraub

#2341809 - 09/22/11 08:45 PM Re: Akai EIE [Re: wraub]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Here's what I've discovered regarding USB/FW:

1) Driver implementation = 99.9% of the difference.

2) See #1.

I'm inclined to buy into any company that has been doing both Win and Mac long enough to be able to anticipate both when changes happen, particularly since both OS's are working off the same (essentially) CPU.

If you want maximum compatibility when you choose your hardware, get something Intel-based, be it a Mac (all Macs are Intel-based) or a mid-high end PC and a cross-platform device from a company like MOTU (who has been developing for both platforms for a long time)

Me, I'm a danger-zone type of guy, and I use hardware that can function in a Linux environment (which, by definition, can handle most if not all new PC platforms, be they AMD or Intel).

Moderator:  Griffinator