Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Superstition......

We have played this before and have horns. Why so many people like this song so much is beyond me? It seems to be up there with Mustang Sally around here. Its an ok tune but way overdone. We do you ain't done nothing more and it is in that same key.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

plus my bandleader (who is the keyboardist) needs to figure out the clav part I wrote out for him.

Any change of sharing those parts. I have my "own version" of the song playing the main riff with left and stabbing some ghost notes chords in the right, but I love to see how other people play it.

grtz

Rudy

Before the Jazz heavyweights rip Stevie's take on "Giant Steps", keep in mind that he's a composer who plays keys and not a Jazz pianist.

The fact that Stevie *hears* well enough to "play at" a tune that is challenging among jazz musos is a testament to his talent IMO. :cool:

+1 on all counts! :thu:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Here's what I "periodically" post on new Superstition threads: ;)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/supersionredux.jpg/

I'm sorry to say it, but the transcriptions in the Hal Leonard book are way off (and this is from a guy who used to do transcriptions for them). The link above is what Stevie's actually playing -- transcribed by me, based on the bootleg master tapes and many live videos. There are variations of course, but that's the basic pattern. The right-hand chords are hit very quickly, percussively and flat-fingered.

I actually have the whole tune up through the second bridge/chorus written out in its entirety, because I was that picky about learning it. If anyone else wants it, let me know.

As for the horns, it's just one tenor and one trumpet, each double-tracked. Hard to believe because they sound so fat, but true.

FYI I used this:

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=310942&menuid=810&subsiteid=3&&viewtype=songlist

and it provided both parts. Definitely got the major bits if not dead-on note-for-note.

-John

Great song list. Is Baby Love from Martha Reeves or Mother's Finest? I'd guess the latter given the rest of the list.

You can find the multi-track on various torrent sites.

Any chance you could provide a link, or a file with those 8 seperate parts? I'd love to hear it broken down.

Klonk Here for the Superstition Multitrack

There's a much better set out there somewhere, where I got 6 different seps. The one linked above is of limited value because it's lo-fi (recorded on a mic while the guy plays faders) and you can't clearly hear the separate parts. Worth listening to once, maybe, but not for serious study.

I can't find where I got the seps that I thought were most useful, so I posted them. Enjoy.

http://learjeff.net/forums/keyboard/Superstition.zip - 50MB

Contains 7 mixes. Here's what they are, if I'm not mistaken:

#1 the whole mix

#2 seems same as #1 but pumped up

#3 sans vox

#4 sans vox & brass, 2 clavs split left & right as on full mix

#5 right clav (with bass & drums)

#6 left clav (with bass & drums)

#7 vox, bass, & drums

All tracks are stereo, so some work best with a mixer where you can mute one side and push the other to center.

Enjoy!

Here's what I "periodically" post on new Superstition threads: ;)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/supersionredux.jpg/

I'm sorry to say it, but the transcriptions in the Hal Leonard book are way off (and this is from a guy who used to do transcriptions for them). The link above is what Stevie's actually playing -- transcribed by me, based on the bootleg master tapes and many live videos. There are variations of course, but that's the basic pattern. The right-hand chords are hit very quickly, percussively and flat-fingered.

I actually have the whole tune up through the second bridge/chorus written out in its entirety, because I was that picky about learning it. If anyone else wants it, let me know.

As for the horns, it's just one tenor and one trumpet, each double-tracked. Hard to believe because they sound so fat, but true.

That transcription might cover all of the clav parts, but to me it's way too busy and complicated for live performance. Not sure what Hal Leonard has in their book, but I came up with a simpler version that I find works well in a band setting. PM me for a PDF file that I've scanned from MusicTime notation software.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

That transcription might cover all of the clav parts, but to me it's way too busy and complicated for live performance.

That's a matter of preference of course, but I think Stevie would disagree with you, since that's also how he plays it live. ;) He plays the top part, and has another keyboardist play the bottom part. If you see live videos of him playing it back in the day, before he had a second keyboardist in the band, he had the guitarist cop the bottom part (as close as he could anyway). That's how I handle it in a band with a guitarist; make him learn that part. They can't get the low E-flat of course (unless they tune down), but the line in thirds is easy enough, and basic mute string scratching covers the right-hand chords.

When I play it without a guitarist, I've developed a part that's as close as I can get to playing both parts simultaneously. It's not every note, obviously, but it captures the most essential elements of of both parts. Then I also have an even more simplified version of that part that I play with only the left hand, while playing the horn line with the right. That actually turns it into a fun and challenging tune to play instead of just another lame cover.

The other thing I'm picky about are the chords in the chorus, which hardly anyone ever plays right:

Bb7 B7(b5) Bb7 A7(b5) Ab9sus Bb7(#5)

I've reached the point in life where Superstition makes me want to punch myself in the balls. Stairway to heaven of the RnB/funk world. I've heard it enough times in life that I never need to hear it again....... :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm going crazy. I've been browsing the forum on and off all day, and every time I thought I had this song out of my head, I see the "Superstition" thread and the damn horn part starts playing in my head; over and over and over.

That f**kin' horn part is pissing me off.

Stuff and things.

That transcription might cover all of the clav parts, but to me it's way too busy and complicated for live performance.

That's a matter of preference of course, but I think Stevie would disagree with you, since that's also how he plays it live. ;) He plays the top part, and has another keyboardist play the bottom part. If you see live videos of him playing it back in the day, before he had a second keyboardist in the band, he had the guitarist cop the bottom part (as close as he could anyway). That's how I handle it in a band with a guitarist; make him learn that part. They can't get the low E-flat of course (unless they tune down), but the line in thirds is easy enough, and basic mute string scratching covers the right-hand chords.

When I play it without a guitarist, I've developed a part that's as close as I can get to playing both parts simultaneously. It's not every note, obviously, but it captures the most essential elements of of both parts. Then I also have an even more simplified version of that part that I play with only the left hand, while playing the horn line with the right. That actually turns it into a fun and challenging tune to play instead of just another lame cover.

The other thing I'm picky about are the chords in the chorus, which hardly anyone ever plays right:

Bb7 B7(b5) Bb7 A7(b5) Ab9sus Bb7(#5)

Do you have a transcription available for your simplified part without horns? I couldn't imagine playing this part and covering horn parts as well. Of course, I can't figure out cover bands without keyboardists that even attempt this tune. :(

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I've reached the point in life where Superstition makes me want to punch myself in the balls.
We aims ta please! :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Then I also have an even more simplified version of that part that I play with only the left hand, while playing the horn line with the right. That actually turns it into a fun and challenging tune to play instead of just another lame cover.

That's the approach I take as well. The band plays it in em, so I transpose the synths up 1/2 step so I can still play in ebm. I find it's easier to get into a good clav-groove on the black keys.

4 of the isolated/combo clav parts (mp3 # 4,5,6,7) plus a pdf notation of the main part here ...

http://www.propertyshoot.com/Superstition/

Sorry, but that transcription is a joke. E minor written in E major with accidentals? I won't even comment on the rhythms or notes!

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Love Superstition... And just about every other Stevie song. We used to play a lot of Stevie Wonder and Tower of Power stuff when disco was taking over. Saved my sanity back then.

We used to do a kick-ass version of Livin' For The City as well... Had a Clavinet, Rhodes and mini moog in my arsenal back then. We also had a second keyboard player who played a C3.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Do you have a transcription available for your simplified part without horns?

Sure, here ya go:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8838/supersionmasterlick2.jpg

Sorry for the kinda huge size. It became illegible when I shrunk it.

The version with the horn line is basically just the left hand portion of that, but with the Gb's on beat 3 added.

I love the way the song sounds in Eb, and agree that it was probably written in that key to aid brass players (and perhaps Stevie was also comfortable in that vocal range, though - it's Stevie - and I think he's a brilliant master at all keys).

Also, just a thought - I always imagine the clav part in that song as something very much like slap bass (sonically, maybe). I know that when I play it, I sometimes get around the keys using the side of my thumb, in a percussive style. I can't do that as comfortably on white keys as I can on black keys - they provide more room on the keyboard to funk it up. Of course I don't do the song must justice whenever I cover it, however whenever I do, I find working in that key to be a breeze.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I finally got around to it: took the left & right clav tracks and subtracted the center channel to remove the bass & drums, leaving the clav tracks. (You can still hear the bass & drums, because their stereo imaging remains, but centered mono.)

So, here's a track with mostly just the left and right clav parts:

Superstition Clavs

With the rest out of the way, I now hear the left clav part a lot better and it's a bit different than I'd originally thought. It's parallel 3rds, whereas I'd thought it was one note moving (Bb C Db) and one not (Eb).

I don't hear anything like the right hand part posted by FunKeyStuff (steady 8th notes). Right notes, but the timing is a lot funkier (and sparser). Regardless, I bet he makes it work. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

4 of the isolated/combo clav parts (mp3 # 4,5,6,7) plus a pdf notation of the main part here ...

http://www.propertyshoot.com/Superstition/

Sorry, but that transcription is a joke. E minor written in E major with accidentals? I won't even comment on the rhythms or notes!

Fair bust :thu: - I've never used it and just put it out there. I should have been more discerning.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I don't hear anything like the right hand part posted by FunKeyStuff (steady 8th notes).

It's tricky to hear because it's soft and frequently very staccato, so it often doesn't even register as actual pitches; it's like a muted guitar a lot of the time. You also get a few "release clicks," which can add to the perceived rhythmic intricacy. And he doesn't hit every note in the chord every time. He's just kinda holding his hand over that spot and patting 8th notes, and whatever comes out comes out. Sometimes he even misses the Gb and hits a G natural instead.

Here's an audio file with a few cycles of just the two clav parts and nothing else, one panned hard left and one hard right:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/superstitionclavs

And this video has some nice long, uninterrupted shots of his hands so you can see what he's playing. (Unfortunately it's from the '80s "DX7 as Clav" era, but you can't have everything.) There's an especially good shot starting about 1:38:

• 8 years later...
I just came across this dusty thread and tried to follow lots of the links. Almost none of them work. Is this because it is so old and people have taken their charts / recordings down, or might there be a problem with the new site?
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

No charts for my zones.

Left hand clav w/ right hand syncopation stabs, sections upper zone.

But I use ZebraHZ, PTeq and Omnisphere for my clunky fat clav.

CHein & BBB for the section sounds.

Pretty hard to write or read Feel...

Woodshed it, only way.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic