Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2317169 - 07/02/11 05:30 AM Rehearsal schedules
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I've heard all sorts of opinions on frequency of rehearsal both leading up to and after gigging begins.

Personally, I feel like it shouldn't take more than 3 rehearsals (once a lineup is established) to be prepared to go out and play a 45-song cover list, unless you're doing some crazy stuff like re-interpreting songs and the like.

If a list is distributed, the players should be responsible enough (and self-motivated enough) to knock the stuff down on their own, show up for a "work out the endings" session, then show up for a couple "spit and polish" sessions and be ready to play the show.

I've also discovered that, in any band where someone insists on weekly (or even more frequent) rehearsal sessions, it's usually because that someone expects the rest of the band to sit around and watch them do what they were supposed to do on their own (learn the songs).

What are your thoughts?

#2317178 - 07/02/11 06:17 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
I agree.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2317402 - 07/03/11 01:57 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Bottom End]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Griff, you pretty much nailed it. If everybody is prepared, nailing a minimumnof 6 songs practice should be expected. When I joined this band, it was double that for me. Just set expectations and execute ruthlessly!

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2320229 - 07/12/11 05:38 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: J. Dan]
joeljjison Offline

Loc: London
It depends on you're approach to music. I consider myself to be a professional player, and I consider those who I work with to be session players, if I'm doing a covers gig. This is work, money work.

For the majority of covers gigs, it should be fine to learn the tunes, turn up and nail them. That is our job. What we are paid to do. Rehearsals usually cost money, and if people our learning the tunes in the rehearsals, they are a waste of my time.

I'll do one rehearsal if the pay is sufficient, but it should be unnecessary, because everyone has nailed the tunes, and has enough experience to be able to catch simple endings cued by a competent singer.

Sometimes the band is more ambitious, or the pay higher. Then it's cool! But unless you're a hobby band, you shouldn't be so reliant on rehearsals. To me, 3 is a ton for a function. It just doesn't make economic sense. I think in some cases if you don't trust the people you're working with to nail the tunes, you might want to call in some better musicians!

#2340952 - 09/19/11 09:59 PM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: joeljjison]
Michelle (ggurl) Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: near San Francisco
Wow, I haven't ended up in Bandwidth for a while ...

Anyway, Griff, my thoughts: First, I play jazz and mainly in my own group, which has original music as well as rearranged versions of "cover" tunes. I provide charts and audio to players.

We don't play 45 songs in a night (usually for a 3hr gig we'd do half that, but, you know, improvisation is key), people usually are decent readers and in this genre it's perfectly acceptable for musicians to be reading on a gig (I don't, I have this stuff memorized).

So that's the scenario ... generally, if it's someone I've never played with before or someone I've played with but not for a while, if the player's gonna work out, it seems to be the same: one or two rehearsals, mainly dedicated to the originals and heavier rearrangements.

I mean on some gigs I've done in other bands (jazz, salsa), I meet half the band for the first time on stage at the gig. grin

Edited by Geekgurl (09/19/11 10:00 PM)

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

#2341021 - 09/20/11 07:52 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Michelle (ggurl)]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Yeah, it seems to me that the people most worried about developing "chemistry" are just using it as an excuse to not do their homework.

If you're playing cover tunes, there's no "chemistry", you either play it correctly or you don't. The only thing you need to figure out is what you're doing to end songs that, on the recording, fade out.

#2348194 - 10/15/11 04:32 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
Ross Brown Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I like rehearsals. It is another opportunity to play. I like once a week unless we are gigging a ton then I back off.... I agree that folks should be prepared and that many songs can be covered. There is a certain tightness that happens with weekly rehearsals. If it is not for you, then cool.... I like it.

#2354367 - 11/04/11 07:54 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Ross Brown]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
I like rehearsals, too. We get together twice weekly for a few hours at a time. It's fun, and we get a lot of work done. But, then again, we play originals and write our material collectively, so our rehearsals/writing sessions are not a tedious endeavor. It's our time to collaborate and get creative. We all also put time in on our instruments at home, so we come to rehearsal prepared with the existing material and full of ideas for new stuff.
--Sun Tzu

#2354416 - 11/04/11 09:45 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: The Bear Jew]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: The Bear Jew
I like rehearsals, too. We get together twice weekly for a few hours at a time. It's fun, and we get a lot of work done. But, then again, we play originals and write our material collectively, so our rehearsals/writing sessions are not a tedious endeavor. It's our time to collaborate and get creative. We all also put time in on our instruments at home, so we come to rehearsal prepared with the existing material and full of ideas for new stuff.

Sure. Back when I was doing 1218, weekly rehearsal was fun, for that precise reason - when you're creating in rehearsal, it's a lot more interesting than just playing stuff you already learned.

#2360681 - 11/25/11 04:18 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
Beat Poet Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Originally Posted By: Griffinator
I've also discovered that, in any band where someone insists on weekly (or even more frequent) rehearsal sessions, it's usually because that someone expects the rest of the band to sit around and watch them do what they were supposed to do on their own (learn the songs).

You're bang on there, I'll never get back the hours I've spent sitting there not playing because of the guitarists trying to figure out chord progressions and solos. Unless you're a jam band I don't think bands should do all their writing in rehearsal - those four blank walls don't exactly aid creativity!

#2490564 - 05/04/13 03:01 PM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Beat Poet]
Jason Stanfield Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Madison, MS
I feel like you need to rehearse as much as you can to not only minimize, but eliminate the possibility for, mistakes.

Unfortunately for me, that means I want to practice with the band every night and pick out things that I think need to be polished, and they seem like we're good enough getting 80% of the song learned before putting it on stage.

#2490587 - 05/04/13 04:15 PM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Beat Poet]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Beat Poet
Unless you're a jam band I don't think bands should do all their writing in rehearsal - those four blank walls don't exactly aid creativity!

No, but if you have good chemistry between players, even writing art/prog metal (like we were) can get a boost from the interaction and free flow of ideas.

#2490857 - 05/06/13 06:01 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
SpaceNorman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
I tend to think in terms of "how often does the band play together" in total rather than in terms of just rehearsals. My projects tend to rehearse when there's a gap between gigs. Our target is to be playing together once a week. If we're booked consistently enough - rehearsals are rare. Let there be a gap in bookings and we're getting together to rehearse.

I get all the reasons that folks don't care for rehearsals - however, I've yet to run into a band that puts it's BEST foot forward without 'em. Sure, some bands get by without 'em ... often carried by the quality of musicianship in the group. However, I've yet to see any band deliver the BEST they're capable of without playing together regularly (if not constantly!). I'm of the opinion that any band who thinks they don't need to rehearse in order to put out the best they're capable of - are kidding themselves.

#2495052 - 05/20/13 09:12 PM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: SpaceNorman]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
What's more important to me is the quality of the rehearsal. Each rehearsal should have a goal, and band members should have adequate time between rehearsals to achieve that goal - whether it be learning new songs, polishing existing songs with clearly identified issues, etc. I'm not a fan of getting together to am whatever random stuff the band comes up with after you show up...that's a big waste of time.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2515109 - 07/28/13 11:29 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: SpaceNorman]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Originally Posted By: SpaceNorman
I tend to think in terms of "how often does the band play together" in total rather than in terms of just rehearsals. My projects tend to rehearse when there's a gap between gigs. Our target is to be playing together once a week. If we're booked consistently enough - rehearsals are rare. Let there be a gap in bookings and we're getting together to rehearse.

I get all the reasons that folks don't care for rehearsals - however, I've yet to run into a band that puts it's BEST foot forward without 'em. Sure, some bands get by without 'em ... often carried by the quality of musicianship in the group. However, I've yet to see any band deliver the BEST they're capable of without playing together regularly (if not constantly!). I'm of the opinion that any band who thinks they don't need to rehearse in order to put out the best they're capable of - are kidding themselves.

If I were running a regionally popular act or better, and able to pay a decent wage to a pro who isn't dividing his time between work, family AND the band, there would be no question. They would show up knowing the material well enough to play it through, or I would replace them with someone who would.

But when you are working with local guys who can play but can't prioritize the band over job, family, etc., you pretty much have to either take what you can get and work with it, keep firing people and trying to find someone else, or just give up on the band thing and do a solo gig.

I've been trying to find a bass player who can play & sing backup vocals for about 6 months. I've tried a few, all of whom were unable to do the gig, some horribly so. I'm auditioning a lady this week who I have reservations about, because I can't find anybody who can do the gig, at least not who isn't already working with two or more bands, and uninterested in investing time in a start-up band.

I'm at a point where it's either try a woman with a rep for being difficult, or keep looking and hope it doesn't take another 6 months to find someone else. Friday evening, I gave her the names of five songs to learn. I've scheduled the audition for Tuesday night. Here we go again...

#2601471 - 06/03/14 02:23 PM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
James Rajan Offline

Originally Posted By: Beat Poet
Unless you're a jam band I don't think bands should do all their writing in rehearsal - those four blank walls don't exactly aid creativity!

No, but if you have good chemistry between players, even writing art/prog metal (like we were) can get a boost from the interaction and free flow of ideas.

The times I've met with my mates we have all been able to share new ideas 'on the spot' which can make for some good spontaneous creations.

Personally, I think some of our best material has been reaped from these get togethers.

#2616871 - 08/05/14 03:55 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
mc9320 Offline

Loc: London, UK

So true. My band recently disbanded because of a disagreement between the guitarist and the drummer. The drummer was keen on weekly rehearsals, but it was for his benefit really. He was the bandleader as well. We all know our stuff, but he didn't have time to practice during the week so I think he felt rehearsing was his practice time!

#2616939 - 08/05/14 08:37 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: mc9320]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: mc9320

So true. My band recently disbanded because of a disagreement between the guitarist and the drummer. The drummer was keen on weekly rehearsals, but it was for his benefit really. He was the bandleader as well. We all know our stuff, but he didn't have time to practice during the week so I think he felt rehearsing was his practice time!

Sounds like one of those people who couldn't focus on something unless it was right in their face, and the band coming over made him focus on the material for that time period.

Sure recipe for a very long stint in the basement...

#2674952 - 03/24/15 09:28 AM Re: Rehearsal schedules [Re: Griffinator]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
(I've never been in here before [looks around Bandwidth])

It's an old thread, but I agree. Unfortunately, I'm in the opposite situation. The band has been rehearsing for nearly a year, with some member changes but only one gig last July. Now, we're "getting ready" for a gig, but nothing is booked yet. He created a list of about 40 songs, and we did six at the last rehearsal. There will probably be a similar number at the next rehearsal. Generally we've been rehearsing every two weeks barring holidays, illness, etc. And the bandleader is still figuring out what to do on some of them (he's also stuck with singing most of them since out last singer moved to LA late last year).

The worst part is, this is a blues band. facepalm

I'm only sticking it out because they are good guys and it's been slow for me lately. If I get other stuff going on before they do and schedules conflict, sorry Charlie.

Edited by Joe Muscara (03/24/15 09:30 AM)
Edit Reason: rehearsal schedule (duh)

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer