Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a bunch of other videos from the same company, Ark Music Factory, after that one. They all seem like the spoiled brats of rich music execs, the same brats that get million dollar sweet 16 parties. It sounds like they should all be used as the "on hold" music for your local poison control center. This is the first time I can honestly say I feel sorry for rappers, who all seem to have a bit part in the songs. So much for your street cred huh?

(P.S. Nice signature Flemtone, I wish Nick at Night would bring that one back.)

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Taxes are complete. Champagne all around!

About had a hear attack until I figured out that Turbotax had me as married filing single instead of married filing joint.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Oh, and now that my taxes are done I can finally install the E-Mu 1212M sound card thing I picked up on the craigslist. I needed to wait till after taxes were done 'cause a computer crash during the tax process would have been catastrophic.

Doing time at continuing education today. The last presenter was a cross between Gilbert Gottfried and Detective Colombo, but with a Boston accent. It was painful. Very painful.

I just need to type a little. I did an exam on the piano/percussion cat who got into a horrific car accident last june or july. TBI as well as other long term injuries. I can tell that a great big part of him is still inside; he's not done yet. I'm in awe of his mother, his family, the doctors nurses and clinics and hospitals that put him back together, and am honored to be able to contribute my very small part. It was real hard for me to hold it all together in the exam room. I mean, I did it, but it wasn't easy.

What I'm saying is this. Don't take this "life" thing for granted. Not that any of you do, 'cause you're all too cool for that. I'm just saying it's more fragile than we all think.

Has anyone else thought that Trucks Avatar looks amazingly like Frank Zappa? To the rest of you... coming on here and reading your comments helps me understand my own psyche as a bass player better and answers questions like: "Am I the only one out here with a warped mind like this?" Thank you all for the improved clarity I now have with my OCD, thought patterns and warped sense of humor as well as all of the little day to day things I learn from you or pick up here and there!

@~OLD BASS PLAYERS NEVER DIE...

@~WE JUST FADE AWAY CARRYING OUT MUCH LIGHTER...

@~MICRO~MINI RIGS...

With Sound Mind & Questionable Morals/Ethics,

Warmest Regards,

BUCKEYEBASSMASTER

• 2 weeks later...
I had a dream last night. In order to promote the band, I was going to record Moammar Gadhafi saying some bad things about my band and create enough links to it so that when someone googled Gadhafi, my band would turn up at the top. Really weird. But, you know, it could work.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a dream last night. In order to promote the band, I was going to record Moammar Gadhafi saying some bad things about my band and create enough links to it so that when someone googled Gadhafi, my band would turn up at the top. Really weird. But, you know, it could work.

Rename you band to "NATO".

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Hey, do me a favor and wish my younger daughter luck. Katie is the starting right fielder/#5 hitter for the Iona College womens softball team. They won the MAAC conference title last Saturday and are headed to the NCAA Div. 1 tournament.

They start their regional in Norman, OK against the 9th ranked Sooners on Friday. OK, odds aren't exactly on their side but hey, just to make the show for a small northeastern school is pretty damn good.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-y9U3x5_lNOg/Tc7ltj6P87I/AAAAAAAAER4/GWLnmglIKZw/s1600/2011%2BChamps.jpg

Go Gaels!

Push the button Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel happy. Opened for ASIA a couple nights ago. Was a nice experience, despite the usual turmoil related to big shows. Was big on costumes and all -although The Shirt has long passed around here- , the sound was nice -it is always nice to have friendly, well known-from-the-road buddies in charge of both Main and Monitors-, and the audience was nice. The Asia guys were not so much, but hey, "they're stars". Whatever. Here a couple pics.

http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/105564.jpg

http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/105563.jpg

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

• 3 weeks later...

Recently turned 30 and to be honest, I am slowly beginning to understand why so many of us give up on playing bass at the end of their twenties, and only pick it up the odd 20 to 30 years later. What with work, studies and exams (mostly for work) and the prospect of building a house (finally) I have to say that, if I wasn't in a band right now I probably would not even come close to a bass guitar. How most of you add kids to the equation is beyond me :)

Guess that as I am getting older, different perspectives are opening up. On that note, I heard

(Eve is hot, face it) and realised that around the time this came out, I didn't understand how music stars from a certain genre would cross over to totally unrelated genres, like is the case here. Now, I would love to do a hip-hop gig alongside the blues gig :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Syracuse Jazz Festival is this weekend. We saw Average White Band last night in the rain. But I saw Average White Band. When I'm tired of this solo thing maybe I'll try a band that covers their two record live set. That'd be cool. Cut The Cake! Person To Person! I'd have to use frets, but I could get over that.

FWIW:

Felix Cavaliere's Rascals did play Mustang Sally. I guess that's OK 'cause it really wasn't a blues festival....

Tonight is Return To Forever with Jean Luc Ponty. Frank Gambale will be attendance. He is a monster.

And except for $5 parking, it's free. Free, I tell you. Free! And the "no coolers/no beverages" sign is apparently just for insurance purposes.

So last night was Chick Corea's 70th birthday. If I were in charge of the Syracuse Jazz Festival, I'd have told him that the fireworks were for him.

Great show. Much more fun than The Electrik Band show I'd seen here in Ithaca a few years ago. Too bad my wife didn't go, as she would not have had the need to ask me, "Are they all playing the same tune"? Very melodic, yet still technical. Frank Gambale was extraordinary. And it didn't rain.

• 3 weeks later...

A bittersweet day. I sold my car. She was a high maintenance hottie that just overstayed her welcome. Wonderful to look at, wonderful when she worked. Misery when she was in the shop. Finding a mechanic to work on a dead platform, or even a mechanic who can think like a mechanic and not just "bolt-stuff-on" is hard around here. The twin turbos and all wheel drive will be missed.

And dumb-ass me: I drove it to the shop where the all wheel steer will be fixed by the new owner. My home keys fell out of my pocket and onto the driver's seat. I locked the doors and put the Stealth keys in the mechanic's lock box. See, it's not often you drive your car with your keys still in your pocket.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/ptkbass/Stealth%20TT/rightside.jpg