Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine Electronic Musician
Topic Options
#2304345 - 05/22/11 05:14 PM Band photos revisited...
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
So we did our band photo shoot yesterday. These were the 8 best group shots of the bunch, per the 'tog. The bass player (ex-Marine, what are you gonna do) pretty much looks like he's ready to kill everyone, but I'm game to hear some feedback on how they came out otherwise...

#2304362 - 05/22/11 06:28 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
I noticed the girl first, and that's a good thing, I'd stop to find the band name and where it's playing since she caught my eye.

From the top, the best pix are the #1, #2, #7, and #8, at a glance.

Photographer did a good job.

Minor points, IMO, all the guys wear shades, or none. Drummer should have some sticks or a cowbell or somethng to show why he's standing with y'all. Everyone should look at the camera, or in the same direction elsewhere.

Edited by Bottom End (05/22/11 06:31 PM)

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2304365 - 05/22/11 06:51 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Bottom End]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

It was definitely like herding cats trying to get everyone looking the same direction. grin

#2304605 - 05/23/11 03:55 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

One came a little late.

#2304630 - 05/23/11 05:50 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That one is coo as it is, but could be played around with in a lot of ways as well and still look cool. Was this shot around Lynchburg?

#2304663 - 05/23/11 07:43 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Bottom End]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Yep, that last shot was at Hollins Mill, the 4-in-a-row was at an abandoned building at Point of Honor, and the rest were in Old City Cemetery.

BTW - I wanted to kind of mention that I always found it hokey when the drummer carried his sticks around (granted, I'm not a big fan of instrument-carrying in general in a band photo)...

Also, what were you thinking when you said "a lot could have been done with that"?

Just to frame that question a bit, everything in that photo (including backdrop) was legit, except the drum kit itself. We were standing (and sitting, in the case of the drummer) in front of the waterfall at Hollins Mill when the 'tog (also standing in the water) snapped that shot.

#2304975 - 05/24/11 04:13 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's a really good picture, it doesn't need anything changed. I mean it could be used as a good base picture and have a lot of different effects done to it. For example, a black silhouette of the band, the falls, the ripples, on white, really high contrast with good eye-catching detail.

I like the reflection of the water in the drumhead.

I'm no Photoshop expert, but I know there a lot of cool relatively simple effects to play around with.

The settings for the pix are really well chosen. I"ve been meaning to take 29 S and look around some more, hopefully later this summer.

#2305004 - 05/24/11 05:46 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Bottom End]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Oh, I gotcha. We figured the impact of everyone jamming in the water with the falls in the backdrop was strong enough. smile

The tog has all the tools (and used some of them very gently on some of the other shots in the series) - but she's a stickler for letting the pic stand up on its own.

#2305041 - 05/24/11 08:08 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'd put the girl out front in every shot - make her the focal point with you guys just filling out the background. I'd try to make sure the outfits say "band", and are consistent. The bass player can get away with the Ramones shirt, but I don't like the tee shirt on the drummer. He looks like just a regular guy who stepped into the shot - try to look larger than life and stand out however possible. A little mystique is a good thing. Overall, though, I think they look cool - the water one is a good idea that will make you stand out. Is this for the new band? No XP50 in the pics? Lol!

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2305049 - 05/24/11 08:29 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: J. Dan]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: 80s-LZ
I'd put the girl out front in every shot - make her the focal point with you guys just filling out the background. I'd try to make sure the outfits say "band", and are consistent. The bass player can get away with the Ramones shirt, but I don't like the tee shirt on the drummer. He looks like just a regular guy who stepped into the shot - try to look larger than life and stand out however possible. A little mystique is a good thing. Overall, though, I think they look cool - the water one is a good idea that will make you stand out.

I tried like hell to convince these guys that a bit of cohesiveness regarding clothing choices could go a long way, but we're right back to the herding cats thing...

Quote:
Is this for the new band? No XP50 in the pics? Lol!

Up until yesterday, we didn't have another guitarist to cover while I played keys, and were planning to go forward with me juggling the two as much as humanly possible... grin

#2305064 - 05/24/11 10:17 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: Griffinator

I tried like hell to convince these guys that a bit of cohesiveness regarding clothing choices could go a long way, but we're right back to the herding cats thing...

Sounds like my old band. I was in an 80s band before this that was doing all 80s before this band even got together. I kept telling them we needed to dress up and polish the show more- no screwing around between songs, etc. They would agree to it, then 2 of us would show up with parachute pants, skinny ties, and funny hair, while the other 3 would be wearing jeans anda t-shirt. That looked 10x worse than doing nothing at all. Then that 80s Band started playing around, wearing the outfits, playing Simmons drums, putting TV's on the stage with 80s videos, and immediately blew past us in demand and popularity - a real "I told you so" moment. But then if we did it, we'd be a "me too" even though we were around first. So obviously I eventually jumped ship and joined this band, and have continued to improve on the original concept.

So you may want to share that with your band mates....oh, and that my old band played about a weekend a month for around $600/night (for the whole band) and had to bring our own PA. This band gets a minimum of $2500/night with house sound and lights, and often more like $3500, and we're booked solid.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2305086 - 05/25/11 02:27 AM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Griffinator
Oh, I gotcha. We figured the impact of everyone jamming in the water with the falls in the backdrop was strong enough. smile

The tog has all the tools (and used some of them very gently on some of the other shots in the series) - but she's a stickler for letting the pic stand up on its own.

IT is enough on it's own, it's a good setting, I was just thinking out loud.

While I've seen some great Photoshop work from others, I also prefer to get the picture composition and lighting right before I take it with minimal effects afterward.

#2320518 - 07/12/11 07:13 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Bottom End]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Irony: The guy in these shots that looked like the biggest stick-in-the-mud also happened to be the guy that single-handedly destroyed the band a few days before our first show.

#2320806 - 07/13/11 01:26 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Nu2Keys Offline

Loc: USA
You and the chick look fine in every pic. The drummer pretty much looks bad in every pic, less with the shirt than in the T-shirt. He looks like he just walked in from a backyard cook-out or softball game or something. I don't think he could have looked much worse if he had planned it. I think maybe he needs to tuck his shirttail in and change his hair or smile or something. The other guy photos fine but I don't think anyone in a band photo should be wearing a logo T-shirt of another band but that's just my opinion. Maybe just a solid black T for him. No offense but it kinda looks like two members of one band happened to get together with two members of a different band and somebody took pics.

#2320956 - 07/13/11 10:30 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Nu2Keys]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Funny you should mention the drummer in the long-sleeve, because I basically MADE him wear that for half the shoot. The bassist, despite my best efforts, refused to wear anything but a T-shirt, and it just so happened that the singer had a Doors shirt that was far less repulsive than the Ramones shirt he wore to the shoot.

I should have taken the hint that he was going to be an incorrigible bastard about certain things back then, and walked away from the band at that point.

#2321027 - 07/14/11 07:19 AM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
Nu2Keys Offline

Loc: USA
BTW I mean no offense to anyone in the band with my comments. I'm sure they're all fine folks. I was just commenting on the pics you posted and how they appeared to me as band photos only.

#2321201 - 07/14/11 12:52 PM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Nu2Keys]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

No offense taken. I'm not even in the band anymore. grin

#2463524 - 01/18/13 09:53 AM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: Griffinator]
tim stocklin Offline

pics aren't showing

#2463538 - 01/18/13 10:25 AM Re: Band photos revisited... [Re: tim stocklin]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

That's because they were posted 1.5 years ago, and that band has long since broken up.

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer