Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2303447 - 05/19/11 09:33 AM Twelve string guitars
Sharkman Online   content
Gold Member

I read that Paul Simon was on Saturday Night Live over the weekend, playing a vintage Epiphone electric twelve string guitar. Last year, there was a suggestion for Guitar Player to do an article about twelve string guitars. I figure, I might as well resurrect the topic, and see if there's any interest in it. And in the interest of full disclosure, I own a Yamaha acoustic twelve string guitar.

#2304106 - 05/21/11 12:20 PM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Sharkman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
It's not up to me, of course, but one way to increase the chances of someone picking this idea up is to be more precise abt what the article might entail.
Comparison of some models ?
Electric vs. acoustic ?
Players who've used them extensively ?
Aspects that require diff playing techniques than 6 strings ?
Mix of the above or other aspects ?
The general subject of 12 strings may not provide much focus for a writer...

#2304494 - 05/23/11 09:51 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: d]
Gold Member

d, you brought up some very good points. In fact, I like them all. But, to use all of them would require an entire magazine, not just one article. How about the electric 12 string guitar, and songs/guitarists that feature and use them. Or, there could be an article on double neck guitars, since most double necks feature a 12 and a 6 string neck.

#2304583 - 05/23/11 02:35 PM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Sharkman]
Barry Cleveland Moderator Offline

Loc: San Bruno, CA
I think an article on the role of electric 12-strings in rock and pop music would be cool. One problem, however, is that we really don't have an appropriate category for it. It isn't an Artists story, per se, or a Gear review, and I don't think it would have enough popular appeal to warrant a cover, so ...

But, I'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.

A 12-string roundup is certainly a possibility.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

#2304789 - 05/24/11 07:59 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Sharkman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: Sharkman
d, you brought up some very good points. In fact, I like them all. But, to use all of them would require an entire magazine, not just one article.

Which is exactly the point I was making---too wide & vague a matter. It needed some focus.

#2306321 - 05/28/11 08:08 PM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: d]
trushack Offline

Loc: DC Metro area
I think there are definitely some good possibilities for a "Even though I love it, maybe substitute "10 Things You Gotta Do to Play Like..." with "10 Great 12-String Guitar Riffs" or something like that? Plenty of material to choose from in a wide variety of styles. The Byrds, The Beatles, Leadbelly, Leo Kottke, Neil Young, '60s folk....

#2317008 - 07/01/11 12:18 PM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: trushack]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

... Tom Petty and Mike Campbell, Marty Wilson-Piper from The Church, Peter Buck from R.E.M., Johnny Marr from The Smiths, Dave Gregory from XTC... I've seen clips of Marc Ribot and Nels Cline using 12 strings in rather unorthodox manners (not to mention Arto Lindsay's untuned atonal noise 12 string excursions within salsajazzpop songs)...

I have a late '90s Danelectro DC12 that I play through a Janglebox compressor, and a great little Simon & Patrick acoustic 12, and I play lead on both in bands when it fits and people freak out and love it, because it's something the great majority of them have never seen/heard before.

Mandolins and lap steels kill a crowd, too...

I think the general public has an untapped interest in things outside of the normal "6 string electric guitar + amp" box... and guitarists should, too.

#2334082 - 08/27/11 06:34 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
How about a series of articles concerning the trick-bag of various devices (in the broad sense of the term) and their roles used on countless classic recordings over the last half-century or so of recorded-music? Tools, tricks and instruments such as:

Twelve-strings, ten-strings, "Nashville"-tuning and other alternate tunings/restringings

Compressors (pedals and otherwise)

Unconventional use of equipment (such as the overdriven tape-deck applied in-line as a virtual "effect pedal" to an acoustic guitar on "Street Fighting Man" by the Stones)

Multiple guitars or mics and pickups (the resophonic and flat-top acoustic guitars on the signature-riff in "Lola" by the Kinks; the multi-mic quasi-twelve-string sound on "Hotel California" by the Eagles)

Re-amping

"Tic-Tac Bass"

Using one higher-gain amp to generate feedback while mic'ing another more "toneful" amp in parallel (Slash with a MESA/Boogie Mark IV and a Marshall Jubilee, respectively, on various Use Your Illusion tracks)

Leslie and Vibratone rotary cabs

etc. etc. etc. etc.... ?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2334144 - 08/27/11 10:34 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I kind of like the idea of an article on doublenecks, or maybe all multineck instruments. I have seen examples of triplenecks, 4-necks and beyond, going back quite a ways. It could be about who makes or has made them, what sort of instruments have been combined into multinecks, who has used them, etc.

#2352100 - 10/28/11 12:32 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

> B U M P <

#2352238 - 10/28/11 09:17 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Not strictly guitars, but I have an album by a guy with a double-neck electric mandolin with 8 and 5 string necks. (The 5 is usually tuned C G D A E, low to high - the combined range of a violin and viola).
I wouldn't mind seeing a Great 12-string licks/pieces article, either.

#2364044 - 12/06/11 03:30 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

echoes

wind

tumbleweeds blow by

crickets

grass grows paint dries

#2427755 - 07/25/12 07:55 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Gold Member

I just got the September issue of Guitar Player, and I saw the article on twelve string guitars. It was pretty good. Hopefully, it will inspire some of my fellow guitarists to go to their favorite music store, pick up a twelve string, strum some chords, and say "Hey, I need one of these".

#2427852 - 07/25/12 12:12 PM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Sharkman]
Ouizel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Saginaw, MI, USA
When I was a teenager, I was visiting some friends at Purdue University, when we stopped by "Shag's" dorm room. He played Uriah Heep's The Wizard on a Fender Gemini 12. Fast forward a couple of years, and I was in Tech School for the Air Force, when I saw a handwritten ad for a 12 string guitar for sale. The price was almost too good to be true. I checked it out and found out that it was a Fender Gemini 12. That was 1990, and the guitar is within my reach as I write this. I taught myself to play guitar on it, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#2434048 - 08/24/12 07:29 AM Re: Twelve string guitars [Re: Ouizel]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Hey, yeah, thanks for the "Ten New 12-String Guitars" Roundup; great article! cool