Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2298195 - 05/03/11 07:44 AM Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB
RudyS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Is it possible to replace my old floppy drive in my Triton by a USB drive. For example like this:

floppytousb

what will happen with the reading speed? Is it limited by the floppy disk or will USB result shorter sample loading times?
Thanks!

Edited by Ohtar (05/03/11 07:46 AM)

Stuff: Kurzweil PC3, Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, Yamaha AN1x, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

KC Island
#2298196 - 05/03/11 07:53 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: RudyS]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: Ohtar
Is it possible to replace my old floppy drive in my Triton by a USB drive. For example like this:

floppytousb

what will happen with the reading speed? Is it limited by the floppy disk or will USB result shorter sample loading times?
Thanks!

how is the Triton OS going to identify a USB drive ?

#2298199 - 05/03/11 07:58 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: GregC]
RudyS Offline
Gold Member

I don't know. I thought these special floppy to usb drives where manufactored in such a way that they "talk the same language" as a floppy drive. Otherwise it wouldn't work on any device would it? I really suck at any computer engineering so, correct me if i am wrong!

Stuff: Kurzweil PC3, Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, Yamaha AN1x, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2298220 - 05/03/11 08:40 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: RudyS]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
The floppy to USB drives have only minimal electronics to interface the ATA floppy standard to USB, and expect the connected computer to load the proper drivers (which may be included with Windows or Mac OS) and and send the proper commands over the USB bus.

The Operating System in the keyboard was not developed with this in mind, so it does not have the needed programming to accomplish the conversion.
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2298221 - 05/03/11 08:41 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: RudyS]
DirtyRubberDuck Offline

Loc: New Boston, MI
I think since it will 'talk the same language' as a floppy, the data will transfer at the same speed. (maybe a bit quicker since no movement of the heads is required) But you can fit more data on it!

DRD

#2298227 - 05/03/11 08:49 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: DirtyRubberDuck]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

This is intriguing:

2.) Application: Suitable for all kinds of devices which are equipped with floppy drives. For example: computers, digital machinery tools, CNC, embroidery machine, computerized knitting machines, quilting machines, test equipment, sound equipment and instruments, copiers, etc.

1.) SFDR base unit: Uses the USB flash drive storage capacity as per the equipment’s identifiable floppy drive capacity: 1.44M/1.2M/720KB. Capability of being used as the system startup disk. USB flash drive plug-and-play. Uses the same functions of reading floppy disks from devices standard control system to read the USB flash drive. Is only compatible with DOS/FAT file systems, proprietary file systems must use the Image type.

2.) SFDR + File Chooser: Using the file chooser device in conjunction with the SFDR-I will give the ability to choose any file folder inside the USB flash drive, the maximum size of each file folder is equal to the original floppy disks storage capacity. The capacity of each file folder cannot exceed the original storage size of the floppy drive which is identified by the equipment’s computer system (1.44MB / 1.2MB / 720KB). Files beyond this size cannot be identified by the SFDR. The function of the chooser is to be able to choose any file folders inside the USB flash drive without limitation on the total file size. Be sure to place at least one file, for example a blank text file, in each and every folder, including the main folder.

3.) SFDR variants: The letter on SFDR type label represents the different floppy drive model. We request that you inform us of the original floppy drive type and host machine, when placing an order to avoid mismatching. For example, the popular type 1 variants:

SFDR-I-I--------------Basic IBM type, PCs, Haas, SONY MPF920 (twisted ribbon cable is a giveaway)
SFDR-I-A-------------Tajima Embroidery machines
SFDR-I-B-------------Barudan Embroidery machines
SFDR-I-SW-----------Universal TEAC FD-235 (highly configurable)
SFDR-I-F--------------Similar to the SW, for hosts that load quickly; always has a dummy disk loaded.
SFDR-I-G-------------Image type, for non-DOS applications. May require two units.
================

It might work.

Please buy it, try it out, and let us know if it worked. smile

Thanks!

Tom

#2298275 - 05/03/11 10:19 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: ITGITC?]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: ITGITC?
It might work.

Please buy it, try it out, and let us know if it worked.

Definitely let us know... I'd like to have one in my Triton as well.

thu

#2298343 - 05/03/11 01:42 PM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: Synthoid]
therealvicz Online   content

Loc: Shropshire, UK
I have one similar to this - make Gotek - in my old Triton Rack. It works really well, but there are some caveats. If you want the Triton to see more than 1.4 Mb of your USB stick you have to format it with the (Windows only) special software that comes with the drive. The version I got with mine is an awful bit of 'Chinglish' that does actually work once you can figure out what the options actually mean. This sets up 100 virtual floppy drives on the USB stick, each of 1.4Mb. When you want to write to the USB stick you set an indicator on the front of the drive between 00 and 99, to select the 'virtual floppy' you want to use. Similarly when you want to read from the USB stick you have to select the appropriate number first. So of course you have to remember what each virtual floppy is being used for, and of course you can only use 150 or so Mb on each USB stick, though you can have as many USB sticks as you want. The Triton just goes through its normal disk handling dialogues exactly as if it was using real floppies, you get to change the virtual floppy number when it asks for the next disk. My unscientific guess is that writing and reading is 2-3 times faster than real floppies, certainly more reliable.

So, OK, better than floppies, but not great. I also added an external SCSI connected Compact Flash drive and that is much, much better.

PS In fact this is the model I have, though I wouldn't like to be playing this box...
http://www.youtube.com/user/floppyemulator?blend=16&ob=5

The CF drive I got from here http://www.scsicardreaders.com/index.asp

Edited by therealvicz (05/04/11 12:53 AM)
Edit Reason: Added manufacturer name

#2551319 - 12/13/13 01:47 PM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: DirtyRubberDuck]
Carib909 Offline

Where does one obtain this item??? Did it work?

#2551385 - 12/14/13 02:59 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: Carib909]
RudyS Offline
Gold Member

you can purchase it if you follow the link in the first post. I never tried it, because i found 275 dollar a bit too much at the time.

#2551396 - 12/14/13 04:54 AM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: RudyS]
bloodyMary Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Israel
There's one for sale locally for $80, but I don't bother (could update my Korg Karma's drive, but since it won't load samples I have little use for more than 1.44mb of storage..)

It's a cool device though.

If you really depend on your Triton and afraid that these ancient floppies (do they make these anymore?) might fail on you, it might be the way to go.

Or just use the money to trade up to a Triton Extreme (I bet it will be about the same $300 investment, but a much smarter one).

#2551512 - 12/14/13 12:00 PM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: RudyS]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Wow, another zombie thread... laugh

#2551528 - 12/14/13 12:40 PM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: Synthoid]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Hey, at least somebody Svengled before asking!

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2551552 - 12/14/13 02:16 PM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: J. Dan]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Hey, at least somebody Svengled before asking!

thu cool

#2558886 - 01/06/14 07:41 PM Re: Replace Korg triton floppy drive for USB [Re: therealvicz]
Carib909 Offline

My Korg Triton Studio has a Floppy drive attached to the bottom of the CD drive. The connector is completely different! The Floppy drive in the Triton has a single band connector and no power connector. The Gotek is almost 3 times as thick and has standard floppy connectors! How did you connect yours to the Triton?

Originally Posted By: therealvicz
I have one similar to this - make Gotek - in my old Triton Rack. It works really well, but there are some caveats. If you want the Triton to see more than 1.4 Mb of your USB stick you have to format it with the (Windows only) special software that comes with the drive. The version I got with mine is an awful bit of 'Chinglish' that does actually work once you can figure out what the options actually mean. This sets up 100 virtual floppy drives on the USB stick, each of 1.4Mb. When you want to write to the USB stick you set an indicator on the front of the drive between 00 and 99, to select the 'virtual floppy' you want to use. Similarly when you want to read from the USB stick you have to select the appropriate number first. So of course you have to remember what each virtual floppy is being used for, and of course you can only use 150 or so Mb on each USB stick, though you can have as many USB sticks as you want. The Triton just goes through its normal disk handling dialogues exactly as if it was using real floppies, you get to change the virtual floppy number when it asks for the next disk. My unscientific guess is that writing and reading is 2-3 times faster than real floppies, certainly more reliable.

So, OK, better than floppies, but not great. I also added an external SCSI connected Compact Flash drive and that is much, much better.

PS In fact this is the model I have, though I wouldn't like to be playing this box...
http://www.youtube.com/user/floppyemulator?blend=16&ob=5

The CF drive I got from here http://www.scsicardreaders.com/index.asp

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner