Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The final gig! #2295285
04/23/11 09:31 PM
04/23/11 09:31 PM
Belgium
EddiePlaysBass Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
EddiePlaysBass  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

Belgium
Okay so tonight was the wedding reception party of our singer's friend. We had agreed to do this gig before we decided to call it quits, so I felt that the only proper course of action was to fulfil our commitment and do this gig. Scheduling a rehearsal turned out to be quite a pain (check this thread for details) but we managed to find a suitable date and had one last go at it. But ... Our singer had arranged for us to go on around midnight. He didn't explicitly tell the guitarist this. He (guitarist) was under the impression that he would be home by 10PM again. His son is being baptised tomorrow so he did not want to make it a long night. Long story short: all day long both he and the singer kept texting and calling me, telling me the other guy was being unreasonable and a loser, and he didn't want to play so early / late and blah blah blah

It got to a point where I told both of them: "I do not care." Make it happen, or not. If we play, we play. If we don't, good riddance. A quick call to my girlfriend set me straight again, though, cos she reminded me that I / we was doing this for the bride and groom. Love my girl! Finally it was sorted out that come 9PM we would be present, and by 10PM we would be playing our gig. The band that was initially scheduled to play before us, would now go on after us. Which turned out to be a good call! Everyone was present, we all set up our gear and started tuning. I had brought my Ibanez BTB, but while tuning I noticed that the batteries appeared to be dead. Quickly verified this and indeed, I would probably go dead in 30 minutes. Luckily this venue was about 2 minutes from my home so I took my car and went to get the Fender. Again, good call! I haven't played the Ibbie in years so it would have felt different anyway.

We played really, and I mean really well. In fact, it was probably our second best performance ever. Almost no faults, no train wrecks (save for a sudden extra verse on Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy" but we managed). I played a solo on "Stray Cat Strut" and flubbed the final notes because I was so amazed at how well it was going grin Drummer was out of rhythm occasionally but I pulled him back in. My sister was there, and so was the (founding) guitarist of my blues band. The groom being my age, there were also a lot of people there with whom I grew up but had lost touch at some point. They didn't know I played bass and apparently all of them commented on how good I was and how "into it" I was - dancing and smiling all the way. My sister even pointed at me and told people I was her brother grin That was a first!

The band that went on after us were smokin'. Really great - just 2 guitarists (one of whom sang) and a drummer - no bassist. They had a reggae feel and the singer has a definite Bob Marley tone in his voice. Really, really strong band. The drummer turned out to be a bassist who studies music in Maastricht - close to where I work. All during our set he kept calling for a bass solo, and when we spoke afterwards he complimented me on my sense of timing and rhythm. I thought that was a huge compliment! He gave me his name, told me to add him to Facebook, to visit him in Maastricht and offered to help me out with any bass-related issues I might have. I may contact him for some lessons or something, I don't know.

I taped both our set and the other band's. I know where the lead singer of the other band works - he's an acquaintance - so I told them I will drop off a cd with the MP3 files or something at said work place. He (singer) hinted that they don't have a bass player, and granted while they have a great sound they could use some more bottom end. Not sure I would fit in with them, though given the reggae feel of their sound I would definitely like to try ... Not sure I would have the time, though, and my commitment currently lies with the blues band.

Oh yeah, one last comment: according to my blues band's guitarist, I am / was the driving force behind the band, pulling everyone along. He also told my sister how incredible my playing was, which I think was nice. I do know he was hitting on her so I will take it with a grain of salt smile When I told him this was probably our best gig ever, he did flinch for a second. I just nodded and said: "Yeah, I know." I like that he has witnessed this part of my musical life, I think it will give him a better understanding of me. He and I really hit it off, he is a bit like the brother I never had, and I was totally glad to have him there tonight.

People, this chapter of my life is now officially closed. I am not excluding the occasional one-off for someone's birthday (singer's brother already queried us) but I will have no more involvement with this particular line-up of people. Would not mind playing with the drummer or the guitarist again at some point, but The Dapper Dans are officially history.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour
BP Island
Re: The final gig! [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2295347
04/24/11 06:22 AM
London, UK.
Graham56 Offline
Graham56  Offline

London, UK.
That's two "well done's" Dave.

One for playing the gig and for making a good job of it. That, after all, was the main thing.

The second for sticking to your guns. Walk away - you don't need this hassle and you are well out of it.

Time to move onwards and upwards.

Cheers,

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!
Re: The final gig! [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2295348
London, UK.
Graham56 Offline
Graham56  Offline

London, UK.
That's two "well done's" Dave.

One for playing the gig and for making a good job of it. That, after all, was the main thing.

The second for sticking to your guns. Walk away - you don't need this hassle and you are well out of it.

Cheers,

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!
Re: The final gig! [Re: Graham56] #2295353
04/24/11 06:30 AM
04/24/11 06:30 AM
Near Glasgow
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
The Geoff  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Near Glasgow
So good, he congratulated you twice!!!! grin

Anyway Dave, great job - and don't be seduced back into it by rose-tinted memories of how good it all felt!!

If the other band offer you a jam, I'd try it if even just for experience.

Seems you playing with a decent band has opened out your own talent. Are you singing again?

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music
The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!
Re: The final gig! [Re: The Geoff] #2295393
04/24/11 11:57 AM
04/24/11 11:57 AM
near Philly
Richard W Offline
Platinum Member
Richard W  Offline
Platinum Member

near Philly
Great story and proving the point, once again, that bands are ephemeral and sometimes their beauty is in the fact that they never last forever. When you capture something that brings together different people to all make music successfully it's a beautiful thing. And then it's over. And that's OK.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy
Re: The final gig! [Re: Richard W] #2295404
04/24/11 12:46 PM
04/24/11 12:46 PM
Connecticut
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
jcadmus  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Connecticut
Nice to go out on a high note.

Despite the pre-gig drama, it leaves everyone feeling good and open to future possibilities.

Well done and congratulations.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: The final gig! [Re: jcadmus] #2295427
04/24/11 01:53 PM
04/24/11 01:53 PM
London, England
Phil W Offline
10k Club
Phil W  Offline
10k Club

London, England
Glad you went out on a high Dave! Whatever you do though, don't reform or I have my eyes on that Fender Jazz!

Re: The final gig! [Re: Phil W] #2295534
04/24/11 06:37 PM
04/24/11 06:37 PM
Belgium
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Belgium
Originally Posted By: Graham56

It felt really good, when we played those last few notes and I realised that this was it. I am free smile

Originally Posted By: The Geoff
If the other band offer you a jam, I'd try it if even just for experience.

Yeah I taped their set and will edit it tomorrow (split the tracks etc) and I know how to contact the singer/guitarist. Plus the sub drummer they had seems to like me, and I plan on asking him for some bass lessons (he's a music teacher and studies jazz bass in Holland).

Originally Posted By: The Geoff
Seems you playing with a decent band has opened out your own talent. Are you singing again?

G.

I didn't bother singing backup vocals for this last gig, instead deciding to focus completely on my bass lines. Which worked wonders, apparently, since I never got so many compliments about my playing after one show smile

Next Saturday at rehearsal with Dusty Dollar (the blues band) I will sing backings on one or two tunes. I already told the guitarist of said band that at one point I sang lead on a tune in a classic rock band, and would like to try lead vox again in the future.

Originally Posted By: Phil W
Glad you went out on a high Dave! Whatever you do though, don't reform or I have my eyes on that Fender Jazz!

Believe you me, it will not happen. Part of me would have considered it an option, if not for yesterday's pre-gig drama. Now? Let's say I'm not crying cos it's over, but I am smiling that it happened. This band shaped me in more ways than one and taught me incredible lessons, which I will put to good use in my future endeavours.

Re: The final gig! [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2295841
04/25/11 01:14 PM
04/25/11 01:14 PM
Southwestern Michigan USA
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member
5 string Mike  Offline
Platinum Member

Cool, glad it went ok-

It sounds like you'd be better off just moving on. This story kind of reminds me of the guys I've known who went back to their ex-girlfriends because they had certain 'skills' and managed to forget they were complete psychos. It never went well for them.

At least if you get back with them for a gig, call it the "Drama Dans" wink

It's cool the guitarist from your other band was there to see you in action- even if he was hitting on your sister...

Good luck on your new project thu

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell
Re: The final gig! [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2295850
04/25/11 01:48 PM
04/25/11 01:48 PM
Brklyn, yo
_
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
_Sweet Willie_  Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
_

Brklyn, yo
Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass
...I had brought my Ibanez BTB, but while tuning I noticed that the batteries appeared to be dead. Quickly verified this and indeed, I would probably go dead in 30 minutes. Luckily this venue was about 2 minutes from my home so I took my car and went to get the Fender.

And the moral of the story is always keep spare batteries in your gig bag. (Or gig close enough to home so you can go get your other axe, Eugene?!?!?)

Peace.
--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.
Re: The final gig! [Re: _Sweet Willie_] #2295905
04/25/11 03:58 PM
04/25/11 03:58 PM
Eastern Washington
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Cthulhu Fhtagn  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
C

Eastern Washington
Originally Posted By: _Sweet Willie_
Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass
...I had brought my Ibanez BTB, but while tuning I noticed that the batteries appeared to be dead. Quickly verified this and indeed, I would probably go dead in 30 minutes. Luckily this venue was about 2 minutes from my home so I took my car and went to get the Fender.

And the moral of the story is always keep spare batteries in your gig bag. (Or gig close enough to home so you can go get your other axe, Eugene?!?!?)

Peace.
--s-uu

And the appropriate screwdriver.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Re: The final gig! [Re: _Sweet Willie_] #2296035
04/25/11 09:50 PM
04/25/11 09:50 PM
St. Louis, MO
Groove Mama Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Groove Mama  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

St. Louis, MO
(Or gig close enough to home so you can go get your other axe, Eugene?!?!?)

Careful!

Queen of the Quarter Note
"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.
Re: The final gig! [Re: Groove Mama] #2296157
04/26/11 09:24 AM
04/26/11 09:24 AM
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member
5 string Mike  Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Funkslap Mama
(Or gig close enough to home so you can go get your other axe, Eugene?!?!?)

Careful!

[insert scream here]

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell
Re: The final gig! [Re: 5 string Mike] #2297027
04/28/11 06:27 PM
04/28/11 06:27 PM
Belgium
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Belgium
Yeah I know one thing, every gig I do from now on, I will bring a spare bass (or batteries and a screw driver). Not sure I mentioned it but the happy couple thanked every band member by giving us bottles of Duvel. Great taste in beer, they have!

The singer's brother asked if we'd do a reunion show on his birthday next year, but the singer already nixed it so I didn't have to bother smile At any rate, this is a closed chapter and I intend to keep it closed. Went over some of the blues songs for next rehearsal and I couldn't help thinking there are a few songs I will never play again in my life. Put a smile on my face.