Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2268906 - 01/31/11 11:14 AM New EverTune bridge
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toronto, Ont., Canada
What do you guys think of that auto-tuning bridge that was reviewed in this month's issue? I can't remember the name of it, don't have the mag in front of me. Sounds like it might be a great thing, especially if you don't bend much.

Evertune.com

EDIT: I found the Feb/2011 Guitar Player online page, and I found the name of this, it's called an EverTune bridge.

EDIT 2: I was wrong about the bending thing, apparently you can get it to bend normally if it's set up properly

GP Island
#2268921 - 01/31/11 11:49 AM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: Floyd Tatum]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Could be very useful for you real musicians BUT it's a crutch. I would not recommend it for a new player as we should all know how to tune our instruments, period. I've been in music stores and people brought their guitar in so the shop can install new strings, just insane to me. Kind of the same thing in my feeble mind, however like I said, could be a wonderful tool on stage.

#2268930 - 01/31/11 12:09 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: LeftyBlues]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I haven't seen one in real life, until then I can't really say either way.

Overall I feel pretty similarly to LeftyBlues on the matter of tuning.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2269007 - 01/31/11 02:20 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I haven't seen one in real life, until then I can't really say either way.

Overall I feel pretty similarly to LeftyBlues on the matter of tuning.

I can see the value of being good at tuning your guitar. It's kind of like being able to drive a standard transmission.

But this seems like a brilliant concept to me, at least on the face of it. According to the reviewer, it just stays in tune, which is very cool. It uses springs & pulleys to keep constant tension on the strings. It apparently keeps them in tune forever! Or, at least for the life of the strings.

According to the review, you can set it up two ways. First way, it stays in tune no matter what, even if you bend strings. For someone who doesn't need to bend, that would be great - some jazz guys don't bend much.

Second way is for bending. To bend, you tighten it up to the point where the string tension is greater than the tension of the springs in the evertune. Then back off a quarter turn, then you can bend like normal

Concerns:
- you have to rout your guitar. If you go to the evertune website and watch the video, you can see, they really had to carve up that tele. Then again, on other guitars, the routing seems less obvious.
- will it add weight? Maybe not, maybe the weight of the bridge equals the amount of wood you have to take out of your guitar.
- will it intonate ok?
- will it live up to its promises

#2269014 - 01/31/11 02:39 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
jimash Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Well, I just read up on it.
No thanks.
You have to trust somebody to hog out your guitar.
And then you can't do simple D-drop without getting out your allen wrench.
The less springs and moving parts on a guitar, the better.
That is why the Tele still rules.

#2269047 - 01/31/11 04:28 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: jimash]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I bend A LOT. It seems this would be an issue. I do a drop D tuning for several songs so that would be a issue too.
Might be just the ticket for some - not me.
If you own decent guitars they should stay in tune fairly consistantly - mine do.

SEHpicker

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2269100 - 01/31/11 07:06 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: SEHpicker]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: SEHpicker
I bend A LOT. It seems this would be an issue. I do a drop D tuning for several songs so that would be a issue too. Might be just the ticket for some - not me.
If you own decent guitars they should stay in tune fairly consistantly - mine do. SEHpicker

The bending's not a problem. I've read a fair bit about it now, and watched some demo videos, and you can bend with it no problem. Check this youtube vid, this guy bends all the time: Phil Gates Talks Blues using the Evertune Bridge

Changing tunings on a gig, like from regular tuning to Drop D, and back to regular, you might be able to do it, I'm not sure. Check this vid at Namm. At one point the guy tunes it, and if he gives the tuning pegs enough turns, he can make it go sharp or flat EVERTUNE Guirar Bridge NAMM 2011 AMP SHOW & TELL

#2269108 - 01/31/11 07:46 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I pretty much reserve one axe for drop and one for standard when I play out anyway, so I can't see where the disadvantage would be in not being able to drop-tune.

(Both my guitars have floyds or floyd-like bridges on them - shifting tunings would be nigh impossible on the fly with either)
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2269119 - 01/31/11 08:37 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: Griffinator]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Yeah, unless you tend to go cro-mag on your guitar I don`t see the big deal about having this. Maybe for a guitar that you really like except that it won`t stay in tune, okay. And it requires routing? get away from me.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2269123 - 01/31/11 09:44 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I wonder if it might be useful in areas with extreme climate changes...(ie. maintain proper tension through hot and cold temps)? I don't need one, but it might be of interest to someone out there...

#2269126 - 01/31/11 10:31 PM Re: New auto-tuning device [Re: skipclone 1]
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Yeah, unless you tend to go cro-mag on your guitar I don`t see the big deal about having this. Maybe for a guitar that you really like except that it won`t stay in tune, okay. And it requires routing? get away from me.

The routing part = major suckage, for sure. I was just saying that the drop-D thing is something a lot of us suffer with NOW.
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2269179 - 02/01/11 06:10 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: Floyd Tatum]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Gotta love the mechanical aspect of it, and if they can sell some then good for them. Griff, I love your signature line about fire, just made my day. Let's see who recognizes this: Fire Walk With Me.
Lefty a.k.a. Bob

#2269277 - 02/01/11 10:59 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: LeftyBlues]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I think it's GREAT that new ideas on the advancement of guitar design and tuning stability- especially purely mechanical ones- are coming to light; I wish them success, it's a win-win for all of us guitarists if they do well with this, whether it's something usable for everyone or not. thu cool

#2269306 - 02/01/11 11:57 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: LeftyBlues]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Originally Posted By: LeftyBlues
Let's see who recognizes this: Fire Walk With Me.
Lefty a.k.a. Bob

You mean Firewalk With Me? I had a Bass POD XT with a patch in it that made my bass sound like the guitar in the sound track to Twin Peaks. I got some laughs with it.

#2269307 - 02/01/11 11:58 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: LeftyBlues]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Lefty a.k.a. Bob

I know "BOB", Lefty, and I don't really believe that you're him, or the Bob from Twin Peaks, either.

Anyhow, Evertune - it's in the Feb. GP, and I have to say, it would be one thing if you built a guitar around it, i.e., if it was integral to the guitar's design, but - buying a $300 piece of hardware, and spending $200-300 to have someone else rout out a good guitar to install it, because why would you do a $600 retro-fit on a cheap guitar? I don't see it . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2269326 - 02/01/11 12:32 PM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: WPsmith
Lefty a.k.a. Bob

I know "BOB"...

Don't you mean, boB?

#2269364 - 02/01/11 01:48 PM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: Floyd Tatum]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Yes, Killer Bob from Twin Peaks. Mrs. Lefty got the full DVD set from Santy Claus so we've been having a blast watching this again. We just got to the episode where widdle Josie Packard gets killed, finally thank you. Sorry, I veered way OT on you guys.

#2269589 - 02/02/11 07:07 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: LeftyBlues]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A couple of other concerns about the evertune. I am quoting these from TDPRI, so can't take credit. (I hope that's allowed?)

These two points in particular also crossed my mind while I was reading the evertune promo and looking at their promo videos. I'm not saying they're necessarily right, or that there are not legitimate responses to these questions. Just raising the questions. Thanks to Colt W. Knight and tdowns from TDPRI, I hope you don't mind if I quote you

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
I have watched a bunch of the videos....
Some of these guys are saying they are losing hours of studio time because of tuning the guitar to play in certain neck positions. Don't properly setup and intonated guitars play in tune up and down the neck?

Originally Posted By: tdowns
To get the bend to work, the string is tightened beyond the limit of the spring. Therefore the string increases pitch when bent now. Aren't you back to square one in this case? Like a Strat with a tight spring?

#2269594 - 02/02/11 07:28 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: Floyd Tatum]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't see a whole lot of need for this on my guitars..... but I would love to have something like this on the pedal steel if it was feasible for the tuner to know when the pedals and knee levers were or were not engaged.

Edited by CEB (02/02/11 07:28 AM)

#2269599 - 02/02/11 07:50 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: CEB]
Mudcat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Twangtown, USA
I wouldn't route a guitar to add this bridge but could easily see building a custom Telecaster style guitar with this bridge.

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

#2269653 - 02/02/11 10:54 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: Mudcat]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Jimmy Page routed out a Les Paul to install this gadget, so I don't think that would be much problem for someone who was convinced they could benefit from that bridge. I would think it might be very handy for a pro who needed to be in tune pretty much immediately and stay that way. It would eliminate a lot of ganking around if a string was broken, just put it on, crank up some tension and away you go, set it perfectly on the next chance you get.

#2269686 - 02/02/11 12:27 PM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: picker]
jimash Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Well, Picker, Ole Mr. Page can pretty much indulge whatever whim strikes him, and
get boatloads of new sig LP's to do whatever he wants with them. But really he just mostly plays the regular ones ( as regular as his regular is anyway)
And something like the Transperformance or the Gibson Robot take it to another level with pre-programmed alternate tunings, an actual extra feature that makes the whole thing more reasonable, but still not something you would want to retrofit to anything you're really in love with, lest it not work out.
Heck, don't get me wrong, I used to install Gizmotrons in (on) people's guitars.
But is tuning really a problem anymore ?
Not really.
Once they invented those little digital tuners I got me a Zen-on Justina
and a Korg and I have never been out again ( crosses fingers) .
I don't think a Telecaster should need that much help staying in tune should it ?
The idea is of course nice. But if they expect people to buy, and try this as a retrofit product they are going to have to get it down to the size of a tail-piece, or bridge,
for Gibsons and a for the Fenders, hide it inside a tremelo block.
If they can get it that small people will try them, otherwise they will have to
sell guitars, or license a manufacturer like Buzz Feiten does.

Edited by jimash (02/02/11 12:41 PM)

#2269798 - 02/02/11 06:38 PM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: jimash]
trushack Offline

Loc: DC Metro area
One thing I thought was distinctly lacking from the GP review was what the Evertune sounds like. There has to be some effect on the tone considering the installation process and the way the saddles connect to the rest of the guitar.

I think it's a really awesome innovation, but I also wonder if it would homogenize the tone of, say, a Strat and a Tele, since the very different bridge designs of both play a critical role in the tonal characteristics of each.

#2269902 - 02/03/11 07:49 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: trushack]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Seen me a few guitars with Never-Tune bridges before...

#2269924 - 02/03/11 08:45 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: trushack]
Mudcat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Twangtown, USA
Originally Posted By: trushack
One thing I thought was distinctly lacking from the GP review was what the Evertune sounds like. There has to be some effect on the tone considering the installation process and the way the saddles connect to the rest of the guitar...

The Evertune website states that it gives a guitar acoustic characteristics similar to Strat because of the addition of the back cavity and the springs that are a part of the mechanism.

They also plan to come out with a trem-version at some point in the future. Now that will be pretty cool. Completely stable tuning with a whammy-bar without clamping strings at the bridge, nut or tuners.

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

#2269937 - 02/03/11 09:39 AM Re: New Ever-Tune bridge [Re: Mudcat]
Lokair Online   content

Loc: Braeburn PA
I personally would not use any of these things, Just not me. I like being able to tune down or up on the fly. I think this would be a cool item to add to just one of my many guitars, but then it would lose that work horse status. If i only had one guitar and I had to tour or hit the studio mine would be my PRS, It holds tune really well, It has great tone, It is not affected by atmosphere much and It is easy to tune up or down. A work horse should be just that, one thing that does many things well.

Lok

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose