Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2259300 - 01/05/11 07:58 PM Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding!
gimmeagig Offline

Loc: Coeur D'Alene , ID
Mike Huckabee is a rightwing religious zealot who is anti gay and has been in lockstep ( or should I say Goose Step) with his party on just about every issue.
Bring Obama down at any cost even if it means doing great harm to out country.That's what he is all about.It's criminal.
He is bringing nothing to the table that could be affecting most of the middle class and especially musicians in any meaningful positive way.How about health care reform? He and his party have been able to turn that into a useless piece of garbage. And you guys give this guy a platform?
If you really wanted to give a politician who is a crappy bassplayer a platform, at least you could have chosen John Kerry!
My subscription is almost over and I will not be renewing.

#2260477 - 01/09/11 09:04 PM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: gimmeagig]
Parisias Offline

My only question is whether I cancel now or wait until my subscription expires. Is BP the latest Fox News house organ now?

#2260569 - 01/10/11 07:25 AM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: Parisias]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southwestern Michigan USA
It takes guts to put someone like Huckabee in your magazine. Sadly, many readers will overlook his contributions to get instruments in the hands of kids with the NAMM "Wanna Play" program and emphasizing music and art education in schools because they don't agree with his political views.

Kudos for recognizing that music and bass playing expands across political and sociological barriers.

#2260599 - 01/10/11 08:46 AM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: 5 string Mike]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I don't think of Huckabee as a goose-stepping, hateful zealot. If you don't like him, don't vote for him if he's on the ballot.

But as a fellow musician, he should be respected. I heard him play bass in a band on TV, and thought he did a good job on the simple parts he was playing.

There are lots of musicians in BP whose politics and/or religious views I disagree with, but I read the magazine to learn more about the BASS!

#2260799 - 01/10/11 11:59 PM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: Eric Iverson]
Brian Fox Moderator Offline

Loc: San Bruno, CA
Thanks for the support, Mike and Eric!

I assure you our decision to cover Mike Huckabee had little to do with his political views and everything to do with the fact that he plays bass--quite ably--on a hugely popular television show.

I knew we'd alienate some people with this story, but have every hope that readers can look beyond the politics and recognize that insight into the art and craft of bass playing is typically quite unrelated to a person's party affiliation, religious beliefs, race, gender, age, or other such categorization.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that I've personally interviewed players whose views I've known to be quite unlike my own. But this is a magazine about bass playing -- always has been, always will be —- so I look beyond those differences to find value in their other (far more relevant) opinions.

Sorry to see you go, gimmeagig and Parisias. Truly. I hope you'll reconsider your decision to jump ship, but wish you well should you not.

#2261003 - 01/11/11 06:15 PM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: Brian Fox]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
I received the latest issue today, and I enjoyed the Mike Huckabee interview. The article was very much about his love of the bass, and little else.

It was good to see a well-known person who is also a bass player featured. Many celebrities of various stripes are musicians, but few of them play bass.

A picture of Huckabee's Custom Shop J Bass would have been nice.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2262218 - 01/14/11 09:40 AM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: Bottom End]
b5pilot Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan
I read the article and although I don't agree with some of his views outside of music I totally agree with his opinions about music and the bass. I thought it was a good article. Yeah I would have liked to see that custom shop bass too.

Edited by b5pilot (01/14/11 09:41 AM)

#2274669 - 02/17/11 05:27 AM Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: b5pilot]
iualum Offline

...he's not a bad bassist actually...thanks for the article...

...and for the record, there are a lot of people who agree with m-a-n-y of his positions, I count myself among them...

...go on with your bad self, Mike...

#2276082 - 02/22/11 09:34 AM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: iualum]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Sort of makes you understand DownBeat's blindfold tests, where they don't tell you who's playing, or the name of the tune etc. when they play music for you.
A lot of the time, WHO is playing becomes more important than WHAT is being played, for a variety of reasons:
1. People are so worshipful of their heroes that when they play or write something that is not all that great, they say it's great anyway, because it's by so-and-so.. who can do no wrong!
2. Or the opposite... they dislike someone for whatever reason, and they can't do anything right!
And yet, in real life, "great" players are sometimes uninspired (they even make MISTAKES, LOL - I know that's blasphemy), and people you never heard of sometimes get inspired and come up with things that are wonderful.... even MEMORABLE!
In spite of having the wrong religious/political views.. or liking their steaks medium rare when they should like them well done.
Me? I like my music BOTH rare and well-done... a personal preference......

#2277186 - 02/25/11 02:17 PM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: Eric Iverson]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
I'd like to express my thanks for the coverage of Mike as a bassist. I don't quite see where the person's political and/or religious views negate their being a musician - and this is true regardless of which end of the political spectrum they occupy.

The only ones that I totally don't respect (and am willing to see torn down) are those who spew their vitriol attempting to shout down another's viewpoint. R or L wing - loonies are loonies!
Jim

#2278848 - 03/02/11 04:08 PM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: gimmeagig]
jazzbass723 Offline

Loc: Michigan
As an agnostic myself, I don't think I'd see eye to eye with Mike Huckabee on matters of faith. But he seems like a really nice man who believe's strongly in his principles. In this country we have open and honest debate and should cringe with the idea of only representing one side of the isle. That aside, how cool is it that he's a bass players and going to run for highest office in the land. This isn't politics, it's music. To each his own. Right on BP!

#2280598 - 03/07/11 04:09 PM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: jazzbass723]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I think it's ironic that the one person intolerant that he couldn't stick around called himself liberal. Yeah yeah, I know, it was a noun, not an adjective...

#2358226 - 11/16/11 11:24 AM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: picker]
The Gizmologist Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm probably polar opposite of Mike Huckabee politically, but during his interview he stayed away from political issues and even stated that bass allows him to connect with people he would normally not be able to see eye-to-eye with. I can respect that and relate to it. Through music and bass specifically I've become friends and met a lot of people in a lot of different walks of life. I'm glad Huckabee was in the issue and wouldn't mind seeing other famous people, not just politicians and their views on bass.

Edited by The Gizmologist (11/16/11 11:24 AM)

#2358228 - 11/16/11 11:25 AM Re: Mike Huckabee in BP??? You've got to be kidding! [Re: jazzbass723]
The Gizmologist Offline

Loc: Maryland
Amen!

Moderator:  Brian Fox, johngoldsby