Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2258289 - 01/03/11 05:10 AM teaser from Nord...there will be something new
fjzingo Offline
Gold Member

Heard the rumors before christmas about something new from Nord coming up at Namm.....

Is it an airplane, ....no it's supernerd

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Home

So come on speculate....

I hope for a new version of Nord stage, more sample memory, sample possibilities of the nord electro/wave, one eq per instrumentgroup with sweepable mid, better keys, a stronger synth section, perhaps a vocoder...

...but it might turn out to be a new modular......

/Fred

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

KC Island
#2258291 - 01/03/11 05:29 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: fjzingo]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
I hope, but i don't see it coming... This one is not even a proper teaser IMO. At the most you can expect some new libraries for the Electro3/Wave.

#2258295 - 01/03/11 05:51 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: yannis D]
Pale Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Croatia, Zagreb
I hope for either new stage or electro 3 rack. I would be interested in both products.

#2258298 - 01/03/11 06:07 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Pale]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Electro 3 rack... that would be nice, but Nord is famous for NOT updating products that are still new on the market. That said, NE3 is fairly new and sells well as it is. I don't see any reason to make a (cheaper) rack out of it when there's a big buzz about the keyboard model - not yet at list. Maybe next year, when Ne3 will be a fairly "old" model...

#2258301 - 01/03/11 06:27 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: yannis D]
BluMunk Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT
Maybe a color scheme (*cough*black!*cough*) that would be appropriate in anything other than a rock setting?

#2258311 - 01/03/11 06:54 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: yannis D]
mate_stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: yannis D
I hope, but i don't see it coming... This one is not even a proper teaser IMO. At the most you can expect some new libraries for the Electro3/Wave.

Did you even read the teaser?

"If there ever was a must to play a new Nord keyboard this is the right time! Welcome to Booth 6464 (American Music & Sound)."
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2258318 - 01/03/11 07:06 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: mate_stubb]
Sam Mullins Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Hmmm...I was about to order an Electro 3 today. But I guess it would be prudent to wait and see what's coming. I doubt it will be anything that will change my mind, but the worst that could happen is that the price of an Electro 3 will come down.

On the other hand, if they sold an "Electro 3" that had pitch and mod wheels, aftertouch and bigger sample memory, I would probably pay a few more hundred for it.

#2258319 - 01/03/11 07:12 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Sam Mullins]
Joe Muscara Offline
Double Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Houston, TX
Is that a teaser, or is it just saying that they will be at NAMM so come and play their gear?

#2258320 - 01/03/11 07:13 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Sam Mullins]
mate_stubb Offline
10k Club

It is not the Electro's turn to be refreshed. Of the existing products, the Stage has been due for an upgrade the longest. Here's hoping that's what is on the agenda.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2258322 - 01/03/11 07:14 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Joe Muscara]
Wolvesparade Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Is that a teaser, or is it just saying that they will be at NAMM so come and play their gear?

I'm wondering the same thing. I would like to see a new Stage - but it'll be something I could only afford way down the line, hopefully.

Edited by Wolvesparade (01/03/11 07:15 AM)

#2258326 - 01/03/11 07:29 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Joe Muscara]
D-Bon Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY

This is why Nord needs someone with English as their first language to write their marketing copy. Guys, I'm still available...

#2258327 - 01/03/11 07:30 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: mate_stubb]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate_stubb

"If there ever was a must to play a new Nord keyboard this is the right time! Welcome to Booth 6464 (American Music & Sound)."

The English of that sentence is sufficiently mangled that I would be hesitant to take that as clear evidence of anything.

The previous update on that page is also problematic. They say, "To create an ambient recording, the treble was cut by -5 dB" -- well, if you cut something by -5 dB, that means you actually boosted it by 5 db. They presumably wanted to say either "the treble was cut by 5 dB" or "the treble was set to -5 dB" -- they need some better English proofreading...

#2258330 - 01/03/11 07:37 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Wolvesparade]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Wolvesparade
I would like to see a new Stage - but it'll be something I could only afford way down the line, hopefully.

Well, a side benefit of a new model Stage would be that the price of used ones would probably drop.

Yeah, I'd like to see a new Stage too. The obvious things... sample library compatibility, the newer organ engine of the C1/E3, and a low E on the compact version.

There has been some speculation that a Wave replacement could be in the works, see
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45377&sid=1df78111f8a8e8ae966ada80f9574749

Although in a sense, a revamped Stage with sample library access could also be seen as something of a Wave replacement...

#2258331 - 01/03/11 07:38 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: D-Bon]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Originally Posted By: D-Bon

This is why Nord needs someone with English as their first language to write their marketing copy. Guys, I'm still available...

You mean like this: "The new size is the mighty XL, a fully mapped version with more zones across the keyboard than an American football field."

I know of the end zone, what else is there?

Busch.

#2258335 - 01/03/11 07:53 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: burningbusch]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Roland, Korg, and Yamaha seem to employ native English speakers to write the copy for their web sites and other promotional material, but not for their manuals. Nord seems more consistent, it seems like they use the same kind of writers for everything, non-native, but quite good, resulting in ad copy that isn't quite up to native English standards, but also in manuals that are better than those of their Japanese counterparts.

#2258337 - 01/03/11 07:54 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: mate_stubb]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate_stubb

Yes, i read the teaser... Still, there's nothing that leads me to a new Nord Keyboard. Nord Electro 3 is new. Nord Piano is new. Nord Stage is fairly new... These are all new Nord keyboards. As i said, i hope there's something totally new, but i don't see it coming. But i'll be happy if i am wrong cop

Edited by yannis D (01/03/11 07:56 AM)

#2258339 - 01/03/11 07:56 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: burningbusch]
Adan Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Francisco
Nord when the C1 and the Nord Piano were on the way, the teasers were gigantic and slick. This doesn't compare, so it makes me doubt that Nord has anything big to announce. I'm skeptical about a new Stage anytime soon. Adding features would raise the price of an already-expensive keyboard, might require more panel space, and might cut into sales of other products that, as it stands, are complementary to the Stage. Not saying it wouldn't be a welcomed development, but just that it's not obviously feasible or business-savy.

What would fit into their normal product cycle would be an announcement of a Nord Piano 76. But whether that ever happens might depend on how well the 88 is selling. If there was a 76, I would sell my 88 and get it.

#2258344 - 01/03/11 08:08 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Adan]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was just in a music store the other day, saw a C2 on the floor and was wondering if they'd ever make a double keyboard with a C2 on one tier and a weighted piano on the other.

#2258353 - 01/03/11 08:23 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: drawback]
LesMizzell Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
Bring back the Nord Modular please!

#2258354 - 01/03/11 08:23 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: drawback]
D-Bon Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: drawback
I was just in a music store the other day, saw a C2 on the floor and was wondering if they'd ever make a double keyboard with a C2 on one tier and a weighted piano on the other.

I'd say the likelihood of that is a notch below world peace.

#2258356 - 01/03/11 08:26 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: D-Bon]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, and just as universally desired.

#2258363 - 01/03/11 08:35 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: yannis D]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, i read the teaser... Still, there's nothing that leads me to a new Nord Keyboard. Nord Electro 3 is new. Nord Piano is new.

You're right, "new" can be an ambiguous term.

One one hand, there could be a completely new keyboard coming from Nord. OTOH, it could be as uneventful as their saying that now is the time to play a new Nord because of the added Bosendorfer sample. Or something in between, like a significant OS upgrade that adds interesting features to existing boards. I guess we'll know soon enough...

#2258375 - 01/03/11 08:59 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Adan
I'm skeptical about a new Stage anytime soon. Adding features would raise the price of an already-expensive keyboard, might require more panel space, and might cut into sales of other products that, as it stands, are complementary to the Stage

Adding features doesn't necessarily raise prices. The new organ engine is not necessarily more expensive to implement than the previous one. Adding sample library access may not necessarily mean adding more pricey sample RAM, if they could find a way to share access to the "downloadable piano RAM" that is already there. (It's also possible that the price of flash RAM has come down since the Stage EX was introduced.)

"Cutting into the sales of other products" is an interesting angle. You're right, they could lose the sale of someone who might otherwise buy an E3 in addition to their Stage... but my guess would be that that would be more than offset by the number of people who would buy the higher end Stage instead of buying an E3. That is, I suspect that there are far more one-Nord purchasers than two-Nord purchasers, and if they could sway more of those one-Nord purchasers to buy a higher end model, I think that would be a net plus. But I don't have any data to back that up... they certainly have a better handle on that balance than I do!

I wonder if the timing of a "refresh" on the Stage may simply be based on their wanting to sell "enough" of the current model before upgrading it (i.e. they have to sell existing inventory, and sufficiently amortize the unit's initial development/production costs). There's not really any direct competitor to it in the market, so they don't have that kind of competitive market pressure to respond to that might otherwise push them to move faster.

#2258383 - 01/03/11 09:13 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: drawback]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A less radical solution to the same problem would be that they should have made the Nord Piano with the controls all the way to the left, instead of in the center. Then you could sit an Electro 3 right on top of a Nord Piano to get pretty much exactly what you want. They could just add a couple of brackets to mount to the back of the piano to support the rear of the E3.

Actually, it would be better to split the control panel so that half was at the left extreme and half at the right, so the E3 could sit in the center, but it might have been more complicated to split the electronics up, whereas it presumably would be a simple matter to simply have mounted the entire electronics off to one side.

Regardless, it does remain a limitation of Nord design that their deep control surfaces can make it more difficult to ergonomically stack their keyboards.

#2258384 - 01/03/11 09:14 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: AnotherScott]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
New Stage - gotta be.

#2258390 - 01/03/11 09:25 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: drawback]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
Yes, and just as universally desired.

You have an odd comprehension of the term "universally" then. snax

#2259061 - 01/05/11 05:12 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: D-Bon]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

They have fixed the copy. It now reads:

"If ever there was a reason to play a new Nord keyboard, NOW is the time."

Sounds to me like what is actually new is the reason (where "new" in the sentence is being used more to distinguish models in the current product line from older models). So it could just be the new Bosendorfer sample, but maybe there where be some other nice surprise...

#2259063 - 01/05/11 05:24 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: D-Bon]
sakari lindhen Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Gothenburg Sweden

I actually applied, but despite having English as my native language and being experienced at writing copy, wasn't even invited to an interview...their catalogue is filled with (mostly minor) language errors...grumble...
Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius
Three shelter cats

#2259064 - 01/05/11 05:44 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: sakari lindhen]
Tuggy Offline

Loc: Turkey
English is my second language, and that "new" definitely promises me something "new".

If there's nothing new at NAMM for Nord, I think they seriously have to consider hiring one of our forumites smile

#2259066 - 01/05/11 05:57 AM Re: teaser from Nord...there will be something new [Re: Tuggy]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Tuggy
English is my second language, and that "new" definitely promises me something "new".

If there's nothing new at NAMM for Nord, I think they seriously have to consider hiring one of our forumites smile

Two hints for non-native speakers... thanks largely to creativity in the advertising industry, there are two important modern English rules to be aware of: something "new" is not necessarily truly new, and something "free" is not necessarily truly free. ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner