Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2248132 - 11/25/10 05:37 AM how old are your ears? test your hearing...
offnote Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Spain, Badajoz
how far you can go? state your ears age, sex and kHz range you got. They say the range get shorten with years, is it true?

P.S.
I suggest to use good headphones.

KC Island
#2248150 - 11/25/10 06:23 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: offnote]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

Sorry, but if I am going to humiliate myself with a hearing test, I'm not going to make the results worse by listening to a compressed degraded signal over computer speakers that cannot be flat to begin with!
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2248153 - 11/25/10 06:36 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: matted stump]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
Sorry, but if I am going to humiliate myself with a hearing test, I'm not going to make the results worse by listening to a compressed degraded signal over computer speakers that cannot be flat to begin with!

+1. My listening topped out at 14k, but I have crappy speakers and old ears.

#2248154 - 11/25/10 06:39 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: matted stump]
offnote Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: mate_stubb

don't take it so seriously, it's for fun you know?
On my crappy laptop speakers I started to hear at 70Hz and topped at 10kHz...That's why I suggested to use good headphones.

#2248158 - 11/25/10 06:57 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: offnote]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I topped out at about 15 kHz with my K240:s. But then again, that's where my tinnitus is, it's hard to say if I can't hear the notes or if they're obscured by the tinitus...

#2248159 - 11/25/10 07:11 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Analogaddict]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
what?

#2248160 - 11/25/10 07:14 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Analogaddict]
Tobbe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Írebro, Sweden
I think it's quite ok - we actually have a KEMAR manikin here at work, so I might do a control measurement tomorrow to see how the response of, lets say a pair of K240's are for this clip. For me I don't hear much at all over 10-11 k, so I don't trust my own ears on this one. A step from 10k to 20k sure seems big, but remember that doubling of frequency is just one octave - so if you don't hear much over 10k you only loose an octave at the top of the treble range.

At home: Ham Concorde, Kurz PC88, Korg TR76, EHX V256 vocoder, Yam EX5R and much more...

#2248168 - 11/25/10 07:37 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Tobbe]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
I am sitting in my ENT doctor's office to get a hearing test - which I flunked - and looking at a poster for Oticon hearing aids with Huey Lewis saying he has them. Naturally, I want what Huey Lewis wears - so that is what I have. My hearing is shot from firearms reports without earplugs and loud music for 50 years. In my day gig I have to listen to testimony from a witness stand very often and one day realized I could not hear a darn thing a witness was saying. That got me to the doctor's office. The problem is a loss in mid-range. About where most women's speech is - and you lose the ability to hear consonants; take the test with an audiologist and it's amazing what you think you hear, and what was really said. The oticons are great. I quit this test when the dogs started howling.

Edited by daviel (11/25/10 07:45 AM)
Edit Reason: dogs

#2248206 - 11/25/10 10:31 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: David Loving]
MHz Offline

#2248212 - 11/25/10 10:58 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: MHz]
Gold Member

Loc: earth
I m really worried about my hearing.

All does life performances and rehearsing in small
rooms my ears have really taken a beatting.

i went to the doctor to check them yestarday

#2248214 - 11/25/10 11:20 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: David Loving]
Sven Ghoulie Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: motif
They say the range get shorten with years, is it true?

Of course it's true, we don't need to take a completely unscientific "test" via YouTube to state the obvious.

Did you also know the sky is blue? thu

snax

Originally Posted By: daviel
The problem is a loss in mid-range. About where most women's speech is.

Not to make light of your situation, but I'm going to use this excuse with my wife. wink

#2248220 - 11/25/10 11:43 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Sven Ghoulie]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My ears ring like loud whistles 24/7 and it's maddening, not to mention the loud off key pitch the ringing generates in my head. Wear the strongest protection you can get at all times or risk a lifetime of audio hell is all I can say.

#2248225 - 11/25/10 12:03 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Jazz+]
linwood Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Las Vegas,NV,UNITED STATES
I must be doin' pretty good, as I can still hear the yapping.

#2248230 - 11/25/10 12:15 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Sven Ghoulie]
offnote Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
Originally Posted By: motif
They say the range get shorten with years, is it true?

Of course it's true, we don't need to take a completely unscientific "test" via YouTube to state the obvious.

chicken?

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

Did you also know the sky is blue? thu

since when???

#2248236 - 11/25/10 12:48 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: offnote]
OB Dave Offline

Loc: San Diego CA, US
I wouldn't trust the YouTube test too much. I'm not sure what audio format the YouTube .flv uses, but I can hear downward-sweeping alias tones at around 13kHz, indicating a sample frequency of about 26 kHz or possibly lower. If you can't hear anything at 14k, it might be because it isn't there. smile

On the other hand, I didn't do so well on the other test either...

#2248247 - 11/25/10 01:36 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: area51recording]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: area51recording
what?

Eeeeh?!?

#2248248 - 11/25/10 01:38 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: OB Dave]
bloodyMary Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Israel
OB Dave has a point here. I fired up Cool Edit Pro, which has a built-in frequency generator. Heard up to 18kHz. My headphones or the anti-aliasing low-pass filters on the soundcard's output might limit the test.

I'm 23, by the way. Thanks to this forum I became aware of the dangers my hearing faces all the time (I play in a LOUD band).

#2248257 - 11/25/10 02:12 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: bloodyMary]
offnote Offline
Gold Member

ok I retested using Sony MDR7506 and I heard it all, although got strange feeling around 15kHz sound got lowered before 16kHz. I'm over forty and have some friends at their 60's who still can hear it all meaning our perceived sound range not necessary gets shorten with age. Well, unless you heavy metal fan...

#2248267 - 11/25/10 02:56 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: David Loving]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: arrange window

About where most women's speech is -

That says it all !

A.C.

#2248296 - 11/25/10 07:59 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Al Coda]
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Melbourne, FL
My wife can't seem to understand that if I'm in another room with the dishwasher, the washing machine, and the dryer all running, while she's on the other end of the house and says something, the fact I can't hear her has nothing to do with the quality of my hearing.

But, since I can't seem to convince her, I have a clinical hearing test scheduled for this coming Wednesday. I'll either hear "OK, You're right", or "I told You So!"

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

#2248322 - 11/26/10 01:04 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Mr. Nightime]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: arrange window
Originally Posted By: Mr. Nightime

the fact I can't hear her has nothing to do with the quality of my hearing.

It has !
Seems your hearing is absolutely perfect.

A.C.

#2248325 - 11/26/10 03:39 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Al Coda]
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Originally Posted By: Al Coda
Originally Posted By: Mr. Nightime

the fact I can't hear her has nothing to do with the quality of my hearing.

It has !
Seems your hearing is absolutely perfect.

A.C.

Sometimes I wonder about her hearing.

I can be sitting at the piano, and she'll wait until I'm in the middle of a passage to ask me something. What, she can't hear the piano? Then if I don't answer her, there's something wrong with my hearing.....

That's right up there with it being 4th and goal, down by 4, 3 seconds left, and she wants me to come into the other room and see the cute thing the dog is doing for the umpteenth time.

It Can Wait

She needs to know that tonight I won't hear her for a large portion of the night. I have 20 songs to learn for Sunday, 5 for Praise band, and the rest for a rehearsal for a CD release party, and my new board will be delivered today, so I have a LOT of work to do. The office/studio door will be closed.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

#2248331 - 11/26/10 04:45 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Al Coda]
Tobbe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Írebro, Sweden
I did a quick measurement with the KEMAR dummy here at work, and it wasn't too shabby. It goes up to just over 16 kHz. The frequency "bump" you between 1 and 4 kHz is most likely due to resonance in the ear canal of KEMAR, but also like the freq response would look like in an average human ear. Every step in the curve represents a semitone and every vertical line an octave. The youtube vid was played back from the internal sound card of a Dell E6400 laptop through a pair of AKG K240 earphones.

At home: Ham Concorde, Kurz PC88, Korg TR76, EHX V256 vocoder, Yam EX5R and much more...

#2248361 - 11/26/10 07:35 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Tobbe]
Morizzle Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Germany
You know this James Bond movie were a politician gets a high frequency sent through his translation headphones and dies? I had the same feeling doing this test. Apparently, I can't hear frequencies higher than 14k. That finally proves I'm not a dog. Hooray!

#2248376 - 11/26/10 09:17 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Morizzle]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NC, USA
Sorry, Mo, you might just be a deaf old dog.

#2248382 - 11/26/10 10:02 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: learjeff]
offnote Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: learjeff
Sorry, Mo, you might just be a deaf old dog.

grin

#2248400 - 11/26/10 11:23 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Al Coda]
Michelle (ggurl) Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: near San Francisco
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

About where most women's speech is -

That says it all !

A.C.

evil

I can hear some kind of sweeping noise for the entire video, but I question how accurate this is given the compression of a YooToob video, lack of controls on the listener end, etc. I did use headphones which I'm sure makes a difference. Years ago I had a test done and registered range all the way up to slightly more than 18.5k but who knows where that is now ...

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

#2248402 - 11/26/10 11:31 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Tobbe]
Michelle (ggurl) Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: near San Francisco
Originally Posted By: mr_T
I did a quick measurement with the KEMAR dummy here at work, and it wasn't too shabby. It goes up to just over 16 kHz. The frequency "bump" you between 1 and 4 kHz is most likely due to resonance in the ear canal of KEMAR, but also like the freq response would look like in an average human ear. Every step in the curve represents a semitone and every vertical line an octave. The youtube vid was played back from the internal sound card of a Dell E6400 laptop through a pair of AKG K240 earphones.

Cool, so this is actually measurement of the video ... does it matter what amplitude the end user is testing at for accuracy? I used a very low volume (some of those frequencies would be literally ear-splitting if I didn't). Also, I wonder if my headphones compressed the sound do compensate to make more of the signal audible? Seems like some of you guys know more about the physics of sound than I do ... and some of you are making shit up about women's voices and hearing range. wink I WONDER IF I SHOULD START TYPING IN ALL CAPS ON THIS FORUM TO MAKE SURE I'M HEARD! LOL. No, then you'd all ignore me for sure. frown

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

#2248404 - 11/26/10 11:52 AM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Michelle (ggurl)]
PianoMan51 Offline

Loc: United States
Geekgurl, I'm sorry, were you saying something? (yea, I was listening to a re-run of Two and Half Men).

BTW, most people measure 'ear age' by the H/E (that's Hair to Ear) ratio.

#2248410 - 11/26/10 12:37 PM Re: how old are your ears? test your hearing... [Re: Morizzle]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Mo 'Wurst
You know this James Bond movie were a politician gets a high frequency sent through his translation headphones and dies?

Yeah, I always thought that was bogus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner