ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:
???????????????????????????

10-Q \:\)
1) The Mackie dXb will drop in the $20,000 range. Nope, you read that correctly. This is definitely a pro board.
2) It contains a UAD-1 card. Not sure if one can add more yet.
3) It's based around a P4 3GHz computer. We're assuming one might be able to run more Universal Audio and Mackie plugins host-based as well. Conversely, the first D8Bs were based around 166MHz Celerons.
4) The thing sports two 15" color touch LCDs. Drool...
5) It runs at 96k, or 192k if you halve the channel count.
6) 72 channels, 64 inputs.
7) All the inputs are fully configurable.
8) 25 contact-sensitive, motorized faders
9) Allegedly shipping Q2 of next year.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!
ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Comments from other Forums:
"Oh Man, get this: Not only can does it offer 24-channel HUI emulation (via firewire!), but if you're running host-based systems, the DX8 will act as a 24 in, 24 out firewire audio interface! And... all right, ready for this?

IT'LL RUN VST PLUGINS!

Yes, you read that correctly. The thing will not only load multiple UAD-1 cards, but it can run any Waves, Antares, Steinberg, or obscure shareware plugin as well! Now it's way too early to tell how exactly this is gonna work (or if VSTi's will be supported), but man, if they're able to pull it off...

The thing sports nine empty card slots (well, because it comes with NO I/O as standard other than monitor outs, headphone outs, and S/PDIF and AES/EBU outs), and if you want all Lightpipe or AES/EBU, the thing maxes out at 72 inputs. Any input or output can be assigned to anything in the board. If you want 24 aux sends, cool. If you want two ins and 70 tape returns, no problem. If you want to use a pair of I/Os (or even firewire) as routable inserts, your day has been made.

As for the mic pres, one of the expansion cards offers four, but if you only use outboard pres, you don't have to pay for any XDR's".

ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
" saw it at AES on Saturday. It does not look like anything I've ever seen from Mackie before. Very elegant. Wood side panels. It's shaped like a Digidesign Control 24, with the two touchscreens on the angled part of the console. A bank of 12 P&G touch-sensitive faders below each screen and a master fader. From what I could tell at the demo (listening in a less-than-ideal environment through a pair of SRM450's) it sounds good as well. I did see him pull up the UAD plugins as well, although they don't work in the touchscreen mode yet (although there's a simplified view that does work with the touchscreen and you can also use a keyboard and mouse as well). It looks extremely easy to use...when you want to name a track, for instance, you don't have to scroll through letters or move over to your keyboard...a transparent keyboard appears on the screen and you just go to work. Nice.

Running at 192K does reduce it to a 36-track console. No big deal.

And as for those with worries about conversion quality, iZ had just signed on to produce cards for it. They didn't really have any details yet, but that seems to be a good thing for those who are concerned about audio quality but don't necessarily want to buy a bunch of outboard converters...

Looks like a winner. I think the biggest drawback is simply the fact that the market for digital mixers isn't what it was even a couple years ago...but I think it'll do well".

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I haven't seen this yet, but it seems that they are taking a huge risk by making such an expensive product. They certainly won't be targetted the same audience who buy's their sub $1000 analog mixers, that's for sure. I don't need 20K to run a bunch of VST plugs, thank you very much \:D .

10k Club
10k Club
D-Man, Mackie has been positioning the company to expand into both the high end, pro recording market as well as the mid to high end live sound market for some time. The company's financial woes caused a glitch in their development, but recently they rebranded to reflect the divisions in Mackie's pro audio umbrella. So it's not a big surprise to see them branch out into the next tier, in dollars and quality/features/power in the digital recording console market.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I see your point, Neil. It just seems odd to me that Mackie has focusing the majority of it's efforts into the high-end (db8) where not many (expect pro's) can buy recently, and not doing a whole lot with their analog mixers or anything in the sub $1000 range. With computers getting faster and cheaper it's getting harder to sell an all in one package for what some of these companies are asking for. Digital mixers (amps, pedals, etc) tend to have a bad resale value, so I've been shying away from making any serious investments until the technology gets better. I'd like to see Mackie attempt something like Tascam's new Firewire interface/controller that's in the realm of your average project studio owner.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I also think they've dropped the ball design wise.

Again, the console houses all the I/O, which, IMO, is just plain stupid. It will accept firewire as a direct I/O connection. But if you have your computer in a separate machine room (as alot of proffessional people do) you're screwed.

I find the touch screen idea another mistake, as you can only work on one chanel at a time. They should have taken the approach that Euphonics did, and use multiple rotary encoders per channel. Allowing acces to multiple parameters per channel, all at once.

IMDB Credit list
President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."
President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."
ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mackie dXb:

[/B][/QUOTE]

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:
It's based around a P4 3GHz computer. the first D8Bs were based around 166MHz Celerons.
That's actually a step backwards.

"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Pffffffft! Wait a few years till they're blowing them out for a couple grand.

ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Super 8:
Pffffffft! Wait a few years till they're blowing them out for a couple grand.
Now you're talking!

Enjoy...

ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LawrenceF:
[QB]Enjoy...

MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else notice that it looks like you could cut it right down the middle for a junior version with one touch screen, half the number of inputs, etc.?

K
K
If a person could use any PC software with it and choose what sound card's to use with it it would be a cool thing but not for $20k.
But if you are stuck with using yet another PC/Mac for your DAW it makes no sense at all. Except for the fancy touch screens its just a glorified controller. Because any one can buy a smokin PC/Mac with two large LCD monitors that won't malfunction like the touch screens,UAD-1,Mackie Control plus 2 XT's and lots of I/O for half the price.
Take the other half and put half of that half in the bank and invest the other half of that half. Take the return on the investment half and buy lots of beer for half off. Invite your buddys for beer and they can envy you and all the gear you got for half the price while you're taking a break from watching football at half time. Just don't tell your other half (wife/husband girl/boy-friend).

-k

"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Okay, the pics do look really really cool. But consider this. Dirty hands. And you can forget about eating pizza or Hershey bars in the studio! You can't just go touching that screen without washing first. I mean, it would just be wrong!

Also, it's too bad that the don't detatch, so you could place them wherever you want.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Those touch screens don't appear to be very ergonomic being as high up as they are. It seems like a disaster for my hands waiting to happen. Otherwise, it looks really cool.

N
N
I heard about this console last year in the summer...when I was chasing down a less than $11,500 option to have 48 digital I/O routed thru my DMX-R100.

The (still unnamed) dude at the (still unnamed) company gave me about 1/3 of the details available in the press release. Back then, I was highly skeptical that such a console would eveer be released (in fact, he had spec'ed 56 channels @ 96k...)

On paper, it looks great. I'm fairly certain it's gonna be a kick ass unit when it hit's the streets.

This ... "contraption!" does (will do) so much more than I am capable of doing today. I guess 5 yrs from now I'll be looking to repalce it too!

NYC Drew

10k Club
10k Club
Looks familiar?

/Mats

What do we want? Procrastination!
When do we want it? Later!
G
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
G
Quote:
Originally posted by D Man:
I haven't seen this yet, but it seems that they are taking a huge risk by making such an expensive product.

Every company has it's flagship product for publicity, visibility, and to demonstrate their technological and design capabilities.
They already know that these will not be high volume sellers, but they will spin off products from this cutting edge top of the line product.

They certainly won't be targetted the same audience who buy's their sub $1000 analog mixers, that's for sure.

No this mixer is aimed at the Sony DMX-R100, and Yamaha DM1000. Both $20K consoles.

I don't need 20K to run a bunch of VST plugs, thank you very much.

True for most people. You can build an entire small or home studio for $20K. So this console wouldn't make sense. But an 01X or used d8b would.
Sly

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!
ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Mats_Olsson:
Looks familiar?

/Mats
I tought that Behringer was the only one :rolleyes:

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaptain Karl:
the fancy touch screens
Maybe they can throw in a years supply of Windex or Glass Plus to soften the $$$ blow.

"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"
ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Alndln FX-51:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaptain Karl:
the fancy touch screens
Maybe they can throw in a years supply of Windex or Glass Plus to soften the $$$ blow.
Mackie just bought Johnson & Johnson makers of Windex, they'll need plenty!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:
Anyone else notice that it looks like you could cut it right down the middle for a junior version with one touch screen, half the number of inputs, etc.?
Or add expanders (so it could have 96 inputs, like the DM2000 already has)!

10k Club
10k Club
It looks interesting. I have mixed feelings about the idea of putting out a higher end board like this in today's market... maybe it will be a good move for Mackie (like I assume the DM2000 has been good for Yamaha), but OTOH, the DMX-R100 hasn't worked out extremely well for Sony... and a fair amount of people poo-poo'ed the DM2000 when it was released, questioning the need for such a product in this day and age. I disagree, but not everyone does.

As to the touch screens, they might be cool, but I dunno - I'll be impressed when (and the day will come, I'm certain of it) we have holographic displays that float in midair before your eyes and you reach out and adjust the stuff with your wireless VR gloved hands.

Rog Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman:
I also think they've dropped the ball design wise.

Again, the console houses all the I/O, which, IMO, is just plain stupid. It will accept firewire as a direct I/O connection. But if you have your computer in a separate machine room (as alot of proffessional people do) you're screwed.
I agree. I'd like to keep the controller and all DSP & I/O separate for easy upgrades.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.
ViLo Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

........I'll be impressed when (and the day will come, I'm certain of it) we have holographic displays that float in midair before your eyes and you reach out and adjust the stuff with your wireless VR gloved hands.
I remember in the 70's when people said that that stuff will happen in the year 2000, OK we are 3 yers behind already........ \:\)

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard