Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2246762 - 11/19/10 12:58 PM Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason"
Rodak Offline

Hi. I just joined after finding this group on via a Google search. I'm looking for information about the MiniMoog solo on Never Been Any Reason. On the studio version, it sounds like it must've been two Minis, or else they overdubbed a second part. Does anyone know if they ever did it this way live?

KC Island
#2246777 - 11/19/10 02:07 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
Dave Pierce Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi Rodak,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll say two things:

1. Welcome to the Keyboard Corner. It's a pretty cool place here, with tons of great information.

2. That was a great song! thu I haven't heard that in years. Off to iTunes with me.... wink

--Dave

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

#2246778 - 11/19/10 02:12 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

#2246797 - 11/19/10 03:31 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Synthoid]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
Saw them open for Queen in Indianapolis a long, long time ago. Live it was just one Mini.

#2246824 - 11/19/10 04:55 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: ksoper]
Meisenhower Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sausalito, CA & Detroit, MI
There is some really well timed use of delay to get the that effect of a 2nd line being played during the solo.

Played that tune for years and covered all the parts (delay included) with the Mini and a Hammond.

#2246871 - 11/19/10 08:43 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Meisenhower]
Rodak Offline

Thanks for the welcome and responses. I'm not sure about the 3rd solo, I imagine you could do that with delay, but the main part I'm thinking of is the last 8 notes of the opening riff - you could not do that with one Mini - even tuning one of the oscillators a 3rd down wouldn't work, because those intervals aren't all 3rds.

Yes, this is a cool place, glad to be here. I'm a little over my head, as I'm not really much of a keyboard player. My main instrument is bass, but I also collect combo organs. I'm the owner of www.combo-organ.com. But I love analog synths and Hammonds as well, and most of the music they were popular on back in the 60s and 70s.

#2246873 - 11/19/10 09:00 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
Never Been Any Reason - that's the song with the classic hook

"Shave my wife, I'm going down for the last time"

which works perfectly in a set after that old Whitney Houston chestnut "Shaving Off My Muff For You"

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

#2246886 - 11/19/10 11:09 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Rodak
I'm the owner of www.combo-organ.com.

Welcome indeed - I love your site!

I've found every one of the combo organs I've played over the years on your site, including my first one, the very weird Doric.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2246892 - 11/19/10 11:45 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: mate stubb]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
I covered that song with a minimoog and a voyager. The original song was done with two minimoogs, not a delay with a single minimoog.

Can you guess which is minimoog and which is voyager?

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/marauder

#2246949 - 11/20/10 08:34 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: kanker.]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: kanker.
Never Been Any Reason - that's the song with the classic hook

"Shave my wife, I'm going down for the last time"

which works perfectly in a set after that old Whitney Houston chestnut "Shaving Off My Muff For You"

::::::coffee spew::::::

thanks a lot!

#2246977 - 11/20/10 10:44 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: kanker.]
keyman27 Offline

Loc: United States
Kanker, don't forget Elton John's classic "Someone Shaved My Wife Tonight".

#2247029 - 11/20/10 04:07 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: mate stubb]
Rodak Offline

Thanks, glad you liked the site!
Is that hotrodmotm site yours? Nice stuff!
I love the analog synths, but can't afford them. combo organs can be had cheap if you're patient, and know how to fix 'em. My collection numbers about 23 right now (in various states of functionality/decay).

Regarding the thread topic, however, what prompted me is that I have an Octave CAT that I've repaired and tuned up for a friend. One of the things I can do with it is play the opening solo to "Never Been Any Reason", and using the CAT's 2-note polyphony, I can do that last 8-note-pair walkdown. Well, I can "almost" play it - my fingers still get crossed up doing that last bit, but I keep working on it.

I wish I could afford to buy the CAT from my friend, but I can't. He needs the money, too, so we'll be putting it up for sale soon.

Anyone interested? (and no, I didn't sign up just to hawk it here). I'll be starting it on Craigslist, asking $1,200. It's in 100% working condition, calibrated, with new keyboard bushings installed.

#2247100 - 11/21/10 06:15 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
In a pinch, I found the Motif ES "Vintage Saw" patch to sound pretty decent all things considered.

My musical gear Blog

#2247105 - 11/21/10 07:14 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: The Real MC]
Rodak Offline

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
I covered that song with a minimoog and a voyager. The original song was done with two minimoogs, not a delay with a single minimoog.

Can you guess which is minimoog and which is voyager?

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/marauder

nice rendition! The Voyager was easy to spot - it was the one with all the blue lights! ;-)

#2247131 - 11/21/10 11:14 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
yorgatron Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Jose Ca.
I'm the owner of www.combo-organ.com. But I love analog synths and Hammonds as well, and most of the music they were popular on back in the 60s and 70s.

love your site,nice to finally meet someone on here that won't make fun of me for owning an RMI368X.

#2247161 - 11/21/10 01:21 PM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: yorgatron]
Meisenhower Offline
Platinum Member

I used to own an RMI 368 back in the 1970's and would never make fun of a current owner. Personally, i'd never want to play one of those ever again, but its nice to see that some appreciate them!

#2247283 - 11/22/10 05:38 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: yorgatron]
Rodak Offline

Originally Posted By: yorgatron
I'm the owner of www.combo-organ.com. But I love analog synths and Hammonds as well, and most of the music they were popular on back in the 60s and 70s.

love your site,nice to finally meet someone on here that won't make fun of me for owning an RMI368X.

The RMIs are terrific - not combo organs, but close enough and cool enough to be just as desireable. I do intend to put up an RMI page on my website....someday <sigh>.

I recognize your userid - are you also a member of the combo organ discussion group?

#2247587 - 11/23/10 07:58 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
Rodak Offline

Ok, here's the definitive answer, straight from the horse's mouth (I went to www.head-east.com and they forwarded my question to Roger):

Robert: It is two minimoogs. Back in those days we did not have computerized mixing and had to mix "on the fly;" we forgot to mute one of the moog solos and when it went by we thought WOW! so we decided to go back and record the second part to match/ compliment the primary solo part.
Roger Boyd

#2247598 - 11/23/10 08:33 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Rodak]
Meisenhower Offline
Platinum Member

Ok, here's the definitive answer, straight from the horse's mouth (I went to www.head-east.com and they forwarded my question to Roger):

Robert: It is two minimoogs. Back in those days we did not have computerized mixing and had to mix "on the fly;" we forgot to mute one of the moog solos and when it went by we thought WOW! so we decided to go back and record the second part to match/ compliment the primary solo part.
Roger Boyd

Please don't take this the wrong way and no offense intended but, ok, so now you know the answer as to how it was recorded. Is that going to change how you approach playing this song with your band live? Planning on buying a 2nd Minimoog for the occasion?

I'm pretty sure its safe to say that most bands playing this tune "live" (including Head East) didn't do this tune with two minimoogs and had to come up with a reasonable way to cover the part or at least get 90% of the way there.

Sometimes we just have to do the best we can do with what we have and make it our best effort.

#2247641 - 11/23/10 11:04 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Meisenhower]
Chili Offline

Loc: Woodbury, MN
Originally Posted By: meisenhower
Sometimes we just have to do the best we can do with what we have and make it our best effort.

Loyal keyboard reader but infrequent poster here: We play that song in regular rotation with my classic rock cover band. Very fun song to play, especially for the keyboard player. I layer three different saw wave synth sounds (from a Kurz ME1, Proteus 2000 and Korg TRrack) to cover it with a big fat sound. Not perfect by any means, but it works well. The important part is to cut through the mix because synth sounds can get lost easily. I am always tweaking the sounds a little and this post provided some helpful info, but since my band works without a setlist, I need to ready for that first note the moment the song is called (I run lights too) so I try not to make to complicated.

#2247642 - 11/23/10 11:07 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Meisenhower]
Rodak Offline

No, I was only researching it because I was curious (and the fact that I found I could actually do both parts on the 1st solo with the Octave CAT). I had found some discussion of the song on the Internet, but nothing I found even mentioned the fact that it was apparently a "two minimoog" song. My search led me to this forum, so i figured I'd post and see if anyone knew anything about it (sometimes you hear some good stories that way). Turns out, the Head East website let me directly to Roger Boyd, who answered my question (well, ok, my original question was whether they did it that way live, and he didn't actually address that, now that I think of it), but what I found most interesting in his explanation was the fact that the dual-minis in the 3rd solo was originally an accident, but that they liked it so much they decided to record 2 parts anyway. THAT's the sort of story I like digging up!

Edited by Rodak (11/23/10 11:08 AM)

#2247643 - 11/23/10 11:10 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: Meisenhower]
yorgatron Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Jose Ca.
[quote=Rodak]

Planning on buying a 2nd Minimoog for the occasion?

yeah,what kind of nut would want to own TWO Minimoogs? crazy

#2247644 - 11/23/10 11:17 AM Re: Minimoog solo on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" [Re: yorgatron]
Meisenhower Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: yorgatron
[quote=Rodak]

Planning on buying a 2nd Minimoog for the occasion?

yeah,what kind of nut would want to own TWO Minimoogs? crazy

Oh, I have nothing against owning two Minimoogs (I concurrently had a Voyager and a Model D for quite a while), but was just curious if that 2nd MM part was going to result in a cash register ringing somwhere!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner