Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2245500 - 11/14/10 06:34 PM Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I've used both, currently own wood but I'm thinking of picking up a pair of discontinued RCF 522As (plastic ) at an excellent price in addition to what I have.

An interesting thread here
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/62128/0/

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

KC Island
#2245504 - 11/14/10 07:13 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Dave Ferris]
Griffinator Global Moderator Online   content
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I'm really not a fan of plastic cabs. The best studio monitors I've ever owned (tragically ruined in a flood, and the damned series is D/C'ed, so I can't get them anymore) were a pair of JBL 3-way bookshelfs with 8" drivers in a wood cabinet. I've auditioned the "replacement" version with 6" drivers in a plastic cab, and they're nowhere near the same, despite having identical tweets and mids, along with several dozen other speakers (nearly all plastic cabs), both 2-way and 3-way, and nothing has really hit the mark the way those did.

Of course, I'm pretty much a hater of the 2-way speaker system, because I don't think it effectively covers the midrange and the bass the way a 3-way can, so YMMV.....
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2245507 - 11/14/10 07:16 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Dave Ferris]
ITGITC? Online   happy
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Thanks Dave.

Leslie spin clockwise, no? Lady don't care... She jus' wanna get 'er gruv on.

#2245518 - 11/14/10 08:22 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: ITGITC?]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
Dave thanks for the posting that link. The post I liked was by John Roberts:

"Wood has it's own resonance and can either subtract or add to the tone significantly. Plastic, not so much. Wood can and will reduce distortion. Plastic, not so much. Wood gives me wood. Plastic, not so much."

Cute smile

I like wood for live sound. I can understand why people will use plastic cabinets for sound reproduction though, we should hear what was recorded without coloration.

Mike T.

#2245742 - 11/15/10 03:35 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: MikeT156]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Many modern near-fields are listing their material as aluminum (this includes the Focal CMS series and re-branded Neumann KH120, according to what I was told at AES and what I see in the lit).

So, wood and plastic are no longer the only choices. :-)

I prefer wood, but it's becoming rarer, even in the mid-price range. And thankfully manufacturers are getting better at dealing with the unique resonance problems of other materials.

Just replaced my KRK Rokit 6's with 5" JBL 2325's, and don't notice any pecularities that I would assign to enclosure material. Even the newish M-Audio digital speakers are amazingly good for their price and relatively free of artefacts.

The two-way vs. three-way debate is entirely separate. I would never buy a three-way speaker for close-monitoring. I think the three-way design is far more effective when there is more distance between you and the speaker, such as when you have a mixing desk that pushes the speakers further away from your head while you are monitoring than does the typical computer-plus-speakers desktop arrangement in small home-based project studios.

#2246020 - 11/16/10 01:44 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Mark Schmieder]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
There are so many variables i.e. type of gig, location, audience, sound engineer, etc.

First, it really comes down to how much one wants to spend and haul around. Most important is well the sound system is run. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2246520 - 11/18/10 11:16 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: ProfD]
ITGITC? Online   happy
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

November 18, 2010 | By Roman Cruz - Source : Tom's Guide US
Grado RS-1i Enhances Music with Mahogany

Tags:grado , RS1i , Mahogany , Headphones
Yep, they're made of wood, so you have to pay more.

The digital age has given us really tiny portable music players, capacitance touchscreens, and crystal clear music at high compression rates. While most would hail that a triumph of progress, there's a school of thought in music that something gets lost in the digital translation. To these hardcore aficionados, nothing beats the warmth and crunchiness of analog.

The Grado RS1i headphones seems to be marketed towards that particular demographic. Each open-backed cup is carved from mahogany, which Grado claims gives this set a "smooth, controlled and coherent sound with detailed dynamics". It's got a frequency response range of 12 to 30 kHz, and drivers matched to 0.05 dB.

Style and performance don't come cheap, though. The RS1i sells for over $600 at Amazon. That's quite an investment for a pair of headphones.

[source: Grado via Cool Material]

#2246534 - 11/18/10 11:52 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: ITGITC?]
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
Tom (ITGITC) likes wood. Wakes up with Wood. Just sayin.

wink

My musical gear Blog

#2246550 - 11/18/10 12:22 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Steve Force]
ITGITC? Online   happy
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Originally Posted By: forceman
Tom (ITGITC) likes wood. Wakes up with Wood. Just sayin.

wink

laugh

Hey Steve, have you ever read this? You would enjoy it, methinks.

High Tech High Touch: Technology and Our Search for Meaning

I also think it's a really nice addition for Kurzweil to add the wood endcaps on the PC3K8.

The pianist who played for our daughter's wedding reception, is also a woodworker. At lunch today, he was showing me photos of a keyboard stand he built. It's pretty elaborate. And it's portable. It uses the types of connections/hinges that are found in a bedframe. He said something about the top piece being held by magnets. I'll have to see it in person to get a better idea about that. But after seeing some of his other work, I am certain it's over the top nice. If I can get him to send me the pictures, I'll post them on the forum.

BTW, he plays a Nord Piano through one of those Bose stripper poles. blush

Yup. Wood is good!

Tom

#2246772 - 11/19/10 01:55 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: ITGITC?]
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
Cool! Would love to see some pics of his work.

My musical gear Blog

#2246788 - 11/19/10 03:08 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: ITGITC?]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: ITGITC?

Tasty.

smile

#2246869 - 11/19/10 08:35 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Steve Force]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: forceman
Cool! Would love to see some pics of his work.

Ya know, I was reading the above post, and thankfully, the last two letters of the last word in that sentence weren't od. shocked

#2248173 - 11/25/10 07:58 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Griffinator]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: Griffinator
I'm really not a fan of plastic cabs.

I noticed QSC is releasing (on most sites) their wood version of the K (old news I am sure).

Thinking of picking up a couple of kw (1222?) on order tomorrow using Black Friday discounts. Supposedly "K performance in wood". OK, a bit heavier.

I did consider ordering some Bose stuff tomorrow but my view is that the price does not justify. (very well could, but "my view" and not convinced on cost).

W

#2248187 - 11/25/10 08:42 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: WheelHead]
Theo Verelst Offline
Platinum Member

you'd think QSC would not just be able to change the plastic to wood technology, or maybe they adjust the transducers and DSP or electronics for that, too ?

#2248292 - 11/25/10 06:44 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Theo Verelst]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: Theo Verelst
you'd think QSC would not just be able to change the plastic to wood technology, or maybe they adjust the transducers and DSP or electronics for that, too ?

I think, or my impression, is that they use the same electronics in a couple of different cabs. My guess is the wood version electronics are the same as the plastic cab. Actually this can be good in the way of getting replacement/parts down the road as the cabinets age.

W

#2248326 - 11/26/10 03:52 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: WheelHead]
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Originally Posted By: WheelHead
Originally Posted By: Theo Verelst

I think, or my impression, is that they use the same electronics in a couple of different cabs. My guess is the wood version electronics are the same as the plastic cab. Actually this can be good in the way of getting replacement/parts down the road as the cabinets age.

W

They might use similar electronics, but the tuning would have to be different to compensate for the different resonance points. Naturally wood being more porous and flexible will have a more pronounced resonance than the stiffer, non-porous plastic. So in order to get the transparency, they would have to more carefully tune the system.

I remember reading somewhere that the stiffer the material for the cabinet, the less cabinet coloration would happen. According to that, one of the best materials for cabinet transparency would be concrete. Though I wouldn't want to have to lift it.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

#2248407 - 11/26/10 12:05 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: Mr. Nightime]
PianoMan51 Offline

Loc: United States
... I don't know for sure ....

but I think I play better when I have wood.

#2248462 - 11/26/10 08:02 PM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: PianoMan51]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoMan51

After struggling and agonizing of what QSC (just my view, I am sure others like other manufacturers and YMMV) I pulled the trigger on the wood KW1222. I'll see how I like them, obviously. Picked up a KSUB also.

W

#2248496 - 11/27/10 04:05 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: WheelHead]
PianoMan51 Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: WheelHead

After struggling and agonizing of what QSC (just my view, I am sure others like other manufacturers and YMMV) I pulled the trigger on the wood KW1222. I'll see how I like them, obviously. Picked up a KSUB also.

W

I've never considered 'pulling the trigger on the wood', when I'm playing keyboard. Might have faked it during a dramatic solo.

#2248500 - 11/27/10 05:47 AM Re: Wood vs. Plastic for speaker cabinets [Re: PianoMan51]
WheelHead Offline

I've never considered 'pulling the trigger on the wood', when I'm playing keyboard. Might have faked it during a dramatic solo.

Point well taken. The time to be really concerned is when *someone else* wants to pull the trigger when "playing keyboard."

W

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner