Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2241803 - 10/31/10 12:14 PM Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live
nitekatt2008 Offline

Loc: CA
Hey players. I have been reading about various portable PA systems for getting a good stereo sound for my Korg M50 88. I play in mainly jazz groups at small clubs and events, so we don't have to get as loud as a cover band in a bar.

I read some good reviews about the Yamaha StagePas 300 that is a good PA, portable, not too expensive and has decent speakers to put out a full quality sound. I play mainly acoustic piano, Rhodes, organs and string pads on live gigs.

Some of the Samson PA systems also look well built and in the same price range as the Yamaha series.

I'm interested in hearing from any keyboardists on the forum about what PA systems you are using and if you are also using the Yamaha StagePas PA's/

Thanks for your response. katt

KC Island
#2241811 - 10/31/10 12:47 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
My band uses a StagePas 500 for rehearsals; my bass player owns it and we rehearse at his house. I'm pretty sure that unit has more wattage, more channels on the integrated mixer, but most importantly a 10" woofer in each speaker (vs. 8" in the StagePas 300). I would suggest you try to A/B the 300 vs. the 500 before you make a decision. Realizing the 300 is about $600 street vs. $900 street for the 500, I'm not sure you'd be happy with the "weight" of the bass and lower MR reproduction of the StagePas 300, especially on acoustic piano patches. FWIW, I believe the great strength of the StagePas is it's primary intended use - it works really well as an easy-to-set-up PA system with lots of channels, built in reverb, high portability factor and serviceable sound. The very low weight of the transducers, however, is an intrinsic weakness in reproducing cohesive, well-balanced sound (IMHO) - despite the fact it makes the system very portable.

Generally I would regard Yamaha's quality above Samson based on reputation and anecdotal experience, but that's just me.

Compared to my own amplification rig, the sound quality of the StagePas 500 to my ears is typical of plastic 2-way speakers - tilted toward the bright end, not great on that all important acoustic piano mid-range, but certainly serviceable as a small-gig PA for vocals and horns.

It would be a decent solution for what you describe, but also realize there are very good alternatives if you're willing to budget just a little more toward your amplification. Just for the money a StagePas 300 costs, you might want to consider a single QSC K10, for instance.

Edited by timwat (10/31/10 12:55 PM)
Edit Reason: a few more thoughts

#2241825 - 10/31/10 01:29 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: timwat]
nitekatt2008 Offline

Originally Posted By: timwat
My band uses a StagePas 500 for rehearsals; my bass player owns it and we rehearse at his house. I'm pretty sure that unit has more wattage, more channels on the integrated mixer, but most importantly a 10" woofer in each speaker (vs. 8" in the StagePas 300). I would suggest you try to A/B the 300 vs. the 500 before you make a decision. Realizing the 300 is about $600 street vs. $900 street for the 500, I'm not sure you'd be happy with the "weight" of the bass and lower MR reproduction of the StagePas 300, especially on acoustic piano patches. FWIW, I believe the great strength of the StagePas is it's primary intended use - it works really well as an easy-to-set-up PA system with lots of channels, built in reverb, high portability factor and serviceable sound. The very low weight of the transducers, however, is an intrinsic weakness in reproducing cohesive, well-balanced sound (IMHO) - despite the fact it makes the system very portable.

Generally I would regard Yamaha's quality above Samson based on reputation and anecdotal experience, but that's just me.

Compared to my own amplification rig, the sound quality of the StagePas 500 to my ears is typical of plastic 2-way speakers - tilted toward the bright end, not great on that all important acoustic piano mid-range, but certainly serviceable as a small-gig PA for vocals and horns.

It would be a decent solution for what you describe, but also realize there are very good alternatives if you're willing to budget just a little more toward your amplification. Just for the money a StagePas 300 costs, you might want to consider a single QSC K10, for instance.

Tim, thanks for the response. Right now for live gigs, I'm running a Behringer B212A powered monitor with a HD12" and tweeter and a modified 100w keyboard amp with a 12" bass speaker and a small Motorola horn. This setup has more than enough volume for anything, plus I run a DI if it's a larger room. This setup sounds fine with organs, Rhodes, pads, but doesn't cut it for the stereo warmer acoustic piano samples the M50 has.

I have 2 KRK Rokit 8s G2 for my studio setup which sound very good. If the StagePas 300 could work, especially if there is a line out for larger events, I would probably go for that due to cost and size to get in the car and save on weight.

I'm wondering if I could run the Behringer through the StagePas mixer and pan it to cover the lower end of the dynamic range of the acoustic piano spectrum.

So we'll see if anyone else responds and get's their take on this. Thanks

katt

#2241831 - 10/31/10 01:54 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: nitekatt2008
Hey players. I have been reading about various portable PA systems for getting a good stereo sound for my Korg M50 88. I play in mainly jazz groups at small clubs and events, so we don't have to get as loud as a cover band in a bar.

Do I understand correctly that you're looking for a small PA system *just* for keyboards? i.e. when you say "we" don't have to get loud, the "we" does not include anything else that will be going through the PA? So the other players are acoustic, or only running through their own amps, and there are no vocals, so the only thing the PA is used for is keyboards?

#2241842 - 10/31/10 02:55 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm wondering if I could run the Behringer through the StagePas mixer and pan it to cover the lower end of the dynamic range of the acoustic piano spectrum.

Even assuming that the StagePas mixer has an unamplified line output parallel with its main out, you can't pan a sound between a powered mixer's powered and unpowered outputs. Though if a powered mixer has an unpowered monitor send, you could use that to balance how much of a sound you want to come out the mains and how much you want to come out of some auxiliary powered speaker, which could allow you to create a similar effect as a pan.

However, I don't understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish. The "lower end of the dynamic range" means the quiet stuff, which should not need to be sent to a different speaker than the louder stuff! If you mean the lower end of the frequency range rather than dynamic range, are you saying that you want to pan the piano to the Behringer because its 12" might have more bass than the smaller woofer in the Stagepas? Panning (or additional sends) won't allow you to direct just the low frequencies of a sound, you would have to send the whole piano to the Behringer, which puts you right back at the problem you have to begin with. I suppose that if one side of your stereo piano sound is the "bass heavy" side, you could send that side to the Behringer and the other side to the PA, essentially panning the piano by sending each side of the stereo sound to a different amp/speaker, but if that happened to sound good, I would say that it would be sheer luck. More likely the stereo sound you're trying to get would be disappointing, as the bulk of the stereo piano sound would be coming through a pair of sonically mismatched speakers.

You could get a crossover, which would allow you to send the lower frequencies (typically below 100 Hz or so) to one speaker system, and the higher frequencies to the other, maybe that's what you're looking to do, but you're adding more expense and complication. If the Stagepas happens to have an unpowered subwoofer output, that might function in a similar way (there are different approaches to that function, some send a full range signal out and still expect a crossover elsewhere in the chain).

#2241849 - 10/31/10 03:40 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: AnotherScott]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It seems like you're going to quickly get far more complicated than necessary, especially for what your goals are - moderate volume, KB only, high quality.

I'd suggest either a pair of QSC K10s, or two Acme B1s and a good quality power amp. Sell the Behringer to augment the cash if necessary.

#2241858 - 10/31/10 04:01 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: timwat]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tim makes a good point... if it's for nothing but an M50, you don't really need a "PA system" -- i.e. you don't need a mixer, you have only one source. So all you need is a pair of quality powered speakers... and in fact, even a single quality powered speaker may do it for you, since the benefit of stereo per se is not necessarily significant (but that's a whole other thread, let's not get into that conversation here). You could always start with one good quality speaker (that's certainly better than two poor ones), and if you really miss the stereo, add a second later when budget allows. Although I have not heard them, from reports here, I would guess that a single QSC K10 or K12 is going to give you a better sounding piano than a stereo StagePas 300.

EDIT: As discussed elsewhere ad infinitum, if you do go with mono, you have to make sure your piano sound works well in mono. Some stereo piano sounds don't collapse properly to mono, so you'll have to make sure you have one that does, or choose a mono piano patch if you have one, or worst case, possibly just use one side of the keyboard's stereo out. I'm not familiar with the piano sounds on the M50. I assume you'll find something there that sounds okay in mono. But if none of them do, that would be an argument for sticking with stereo in your sound system, unless you want to buy a new keyboard.

Edited by AnotherScott (10/31/10 04:32 PM)

#2242010 - 11/01/10 10:02 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: AnotherScott]
nitekatt2008 Offline

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Tim makes a good point... if it's for nothing but an M50, you don't really need a "PA system" -- i.e. you don't need a mixer, you have only one source. So all you need is a pair of quality powered speakers... and in fact, even a single quality powered speaker may do it for you, since the benefit of stereo per se is not necessarily significant (but that's a whole other thread, let's not get into that conversation here). You could always start with one good quality speaker (that's certainly better than two poor ones), and if you really miss the stereo, add a second later when budget allows. Although I have not heard them, from reports here, I would guess that a single QSC K10 or K12 is going to give you a better sounding piano than a stereo StagePas 300.

EDIT: As discussed elsewhere ad infinitum, if you do go with mono, you have to make sure your piano sound works well in mono. Some stereo piano sounds don't collapse properly to mono, so you'll have to make sure you have one that does, or choose a mono piano patch if you have one, or worst case, possibly just use one side of the keyboard's stereo out. I'm not familiar with the piano sounds on the M50. I assume you'll find something there that sounds okay in mono. But if none of them do, that would be an argument for sticking with stereo in your sound system, unless you want to buy a new keyboard.

Scott, the M50 does in fact have a few mono patches, a mono acoustic piano included for using one amp. But really the M50 delvers the ultimate output and fuller sound running stereo. I did a solo gig with just one amp and some of the electric pianos were out of phase in mono, mainly because of the programmed stereo effects.

I am only looking for a small PA or powered monitors for my keyboard rig, not to run a whole band through, so something portable is a plus. The M50 is a great workstation with many options and effects and has all the sounds I need for any gig.

If I could get a good sound with the StagePas PA, for the portability and cost, that might be the way to go. But I have been hearing a lot of pluses from keyboard players about the higher quality QSC powered speakers and the JBL EON 10".

Thanks again

katt

Edited by nitekatt2008 (11/01/10 10:05 AM)

#2242019 - 11/01/10 10:30 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
I have a pair of EON 10G2 - not in the same league with my pair of QSC K10's. Not BAD, but not crisp and clean by comparison. Mine are now in the living room on the family keyboard - other problem is that they have an internal heat sensor that reduces power if they get too warm - it is real annoying mid-gig when the amp decides to get quieter and quieter instead of being able to keep up with the ge-tars. The QSC and EV speakers do get the job done.
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2242033 - 11/01/10 11:36 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
Scott, the M50 does in fact have a few mono patches, a mono acoustic piano included for using one amp. But really the M50 delvers the ultimate output and fuller sound running stereo. I did a solo gig with just one amp and some of the electric pianos were out of phase in mono, mainly because of the programmed stereo effects.
So your electric piano sounds sound crappy mono? You realize that electric pianos are mono instruments? Apparently Korg doesn't....

Again, stereo is for amateurs.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

web space
myspace

#2242039 - 11/01/10 11:50 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: kanker.]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: kanker.
You realize that electric pianos are mono instruments?

Some Rhodes Suitcase models included a stereo effect (and of course many Rhodes have been used over the years with various stereo effects)...

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/effects.php

Personally, I like my Rhodes straight and mono... "swirly" Rhodes sounds make me seasick... see "Just The Way You Are"... but some people like them...

#2242044 - 11/01/10 11:53 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: AnotherScott]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

You realize that electric pianos are mono instruments?

Some Rhodes Suitcase models included a stereo effect (and of course many Rhodes have been used over the years with various stereo effects)...

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/effects.php

Personally, I like my Rhodes straight and mono... "swirly" Rhodes sounds make me seasick... see "Just The Way You Are"... but some people like them...
The instrument itself was mono. Also, a tremolo effect shouldn't cause phase issues. wink

web space
myspace

#2242198 - 11/01/10 08:08 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Scott, the M50 does in fact have a few mono patches, a mono acoustic piano included for using one amp. But really the M50 delvers the ultimate output and fuller sound running stereo.

If the only pianos you have that you feel sound really good only work in stereo, this may be one of the situations where running stereo makes sense, despite Kanker's admonition.

Some advantages of mono comes into play when you are sending a feed to a house system, but in your case, there usually is no house system, the audience will be hearing out of your system, so that's not relevant.

Another advantage of mono is that things sound the same no matter where in the audience someone is. You do need to consider where the audience is in relation to your speakers. If you place the speakers far apart, and much of the audience is very close to one or the other, they may be getting almost a mono sound, and possibly a worse one than your mono patch, as they basically may only hear one half of your stereo sound.

If that's the case, one possible solution is to put the two speakers pretty close to each other (i.e. both right by your keyboards), then the audience is still going to hear very much the same thing no matter where they are. Most of them are not going to get much in the way of stereo effect, but at least you get to use what you consider to be your instrument's best sounds. In this case, as I see it, running mono would result in a lesser experience for the audience, but primarily because it would force you to use what you feel is an inferior sounding patch (to no real advantage), rather than because of a significant benefit to the stereo-ness.

That said, I would still suggest you really evaluate your stereo sounds to be sure they sound better than your mono sound even when you're not listening from a point between the two speakers. If they don't, if you're responding more to the stereo-ness than the quality of the patch, you may be fighting a losing battle trying to create that effect throughout a live venue, and sticking with mono may still be the best thing to do. But if it is genuinely a better sounding piano, even way off to one side, and it is a sound that deteriorates if you collapse it to mono, then I'd say it might be worth running it in stereo.

Another thing you mentioned in another message, though, is that you would like a line out for larger events. Well, then you're back to needing to know you have sounds that will sound acceptable in mono. So then you might choose your "best sounds" when only running your own system, but resign yourself to running the lesser, mono sounds when you're feeding a system into a larger venue.

#2242208 - 11/01/10 09:47 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: kanker.]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Muppet Theater orchestra pit

Again, stereo is for amateurs.

laugh

Go get 'em, Kev! cop

@OP:

The Yamaha MSR-100/250/400 may be a suitable alternative. From what I see on the website the speakers look somewhat similar to the Stagepas series, but without the mixer and higher output.

Also, you can buy them one at a time. Their BFB factor seems excellent. I would personally prefer a Mackie VLZ (more flexible connectivity, including mono sends and multiple stereo outs) with one of these. You can always upgrade to a QSC K or JBL PRX or BrandX later.

Although the Stagepas seems good value, that mixer looks pretty useless to me. You're stuck with a very basic IO system.

Edited by zephonic (11/01/10 09:53 PM)

#2242256 - 11/02/10 05:28 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Right now for live gigs, I'm running a Behringer B212A powered monitor with a HD12" and tweeter and a modified 100w keyboard amp with a 12" bass speaker and a small Motorola horn.

I'm curious as to why you're running both of those simultaneously. You're running them mono, sending the same signal to both, right? I've used the B212A, it goes pretty darn loud all by itself, wasit really not loud enough unless you added a second amp, or is there some other reason you're running both? And when you say you are disappointed with the piano in your current setup, is the sound of the piano noticeably better in one of your speakers than the other? If so, which?

#2242328 - 11/02/10 09:32 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: AnotherScott]
nitekatt2008 Offline

Right now for live gigs, I'm running a Behringer B212A powered monitor with a HD12" and tweeter and a modified 100w keyboard amp with a 12" bass speaker and a small Motorola horn.

I'm curious as to why you're running both of those simultaneously. You're running them mono, sending the same signal to both, right? I've used the B212A, it goes pretty darn loud all by itself, wasit really not loud enough unless you added a second amp, or is there some other reason you're running both? And when you say you are disappointed with the piano in your current setup, is the sound of the piano noticeably better in one of your speakers than the other? If so, which?

Scott I'm running the M50 from a Mackie or Beringer mixer L/R outs to one cable to the keyboard amp and one to the Behringer B212A. This set up spreads the sound better too so guys in the band on both left and right can hear the keyboards.

Also, someone mentioned playing keyboards in mono. If that is the case, they why do all the keyboards out now have a L/R output ports. The old original DX-7 only had one out port.

No matter what anyone says, all the keyboards out now seem to sound best running through 2 speakers rather than one keyboard amp, especially acoustic pianos and software VI's like Ivory.

The best sound I get from the M50 is at my home studio, running through the 2 KRK Rokit 8 monitors, but of course they are nearfield and not designed for live gigs.

katt

#2242331 - 11/02/10 09:40 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like to send my leslie to FOH ( if possible ) in stereo but that is just me.

#2242336 - 11/02/10 09:51 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, someone mentioned playing keyboards in mono. If that is the case, they why do all the keyboards out now have a L/R output ports. The old original DX-7 only had one out port.

No matter what anyone says, all the keyboards out now seem to sound best running through 2 speakers rather than one keyboard amp, especially acoustic pianos and software VI's like Ivory.

The best sound I get from the M50 is at my home studio, running through the 2 KRK Rokit 8 monitors, but of course they are nearfield and not designed for live gigs.

katt

I've always ran mono because that is what I have always done. Besides most PAs were mono. My amp rig is old and I am cheap and have found that secret to coming out ahead is not spending money to replace functional gear. But I started using two Yorkville amps in stereo at the studio where we practice at because they are there and that Kawai stage piano I use sounds 500 times better in stereo. 50 feet out I have no idea what it will sound like.

I am going to go stereo after New Years. I will probably pick up stereo box mixer and keep my old 3 way cabinets. Probably either a Yamaha EMX or maybe a Peavey XR series.

My cabs are big. I toyed with the idea of going small and getting two Hartke KM200 amps and going to a leslie sim but I doubt I do that .... that would be too practical.

I will have to see what it sounds like 50 feet off away. Who knows I may like mono better.

Edited by CEB (11/03/10 10:52 AM)

#2242343 - 11/02/10 10:09 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: CEB]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
Quote:
by CEB:

My amp rig is old and I am cheap and have found that secret to coming out ahead is not spending money to replace functional gear.

I like the way you think! Occasionally, its nice to be able to take the money you make from gigs and PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET! love

Cheers,

Mike T.

#2242350 - 11/02/10 10:40 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, someone mentioned playing keyboards in mono. If that is the case, they why do all the keyboards out now have a L/R output ports.

Because they can.

Because if they didn't, people would buy competitors' units because "they're stereo, so they're better."

Because people make more money when you are then persuaded to buy stereo amps and twice as many speakers.

Because in *some* situations, stereo sounds better. Often in recording. Or in certain venues where you have the appropriate control and the proper layout to set it up well relative to where the audience will be.

But it is at least just as likely that stereo will create more problems than it solves, so you need to look at your individual situation.

As you point out, the DX-7 was mono. As was pretty much every keyboard for many many years, including most electric pianos, organs, analog synths, mellotron, etc.

EDIT: I actually have often made good use of the separate L/R outputs... but not for stereo sounds. More often, to pan one sound to one side and one to the other, so I can keep the sound separate for external processing/mixing/amplification purposes.

Edited by AnotherScott (11/02/10 10:41 AM)

#2242392 - 11/02/10 01:01 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: nitekatt2008]
AnotherScott Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Scott I'm running the M50 from a Mackie or Beringer mixer L/R outs to one cable to the keyboard amp and one to the Behringer B212A. This set up spreads the sound better too so guys in the band on both left and right can hear the keyboards.

I'm not sure why you even need to be bringing a mixer for that setup... you could probably just plug a Y-cable into the M50's mono out and run it to both speakers, no? Or are you running stereo now, and sending one channel to the keyboard amp and one channel to the Behringer?

#2242604 - 11/03/10 06:52 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: AnotherScott]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I like the Bose stuff for keyboard amplification. I have two L1:s, they're the best I've tried. They sound great at all volume levels.

#2242625 - 11/03/10 08:18 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Analogaddict]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Analogaddict
I like the Bose stuff for keyboard amplification. I have two L1:s

Major $$$$.

#2242690 - 11/03/10 10:47 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Synthoid]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Having nothing to do with Analogaddict's choice of the L1s for keys, a church I used to attend recently switched to L1s as mains for their PA. I understand in theory their selection - the 400-seat auditorium is very wide and very shallow (from front to back).

But I gotta tell you - the sound is now terrible - just horribly, egregiously awful. Really too bad, as I'm sure it cost them a healthy chunk of their budget...and yet they still refuse to go with the simple (and relatively inexpensive) solution the acoustic engineer provided in the first place. Doh!

#2248993 - 11/29/10 08:35 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: AnotherScott]
vortmaxx Offline

thank you- that was exactly what I needed. am going to GC next chance I get and demo one of those k10s y'all are raving about.

#2248995 - 11/29/10 08:38 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: vortmaxx]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: vortmaxx
am going to GC next chance I get and demo one of those k10s y'all are raving about.

Get a 15% off coupon online... unless QSC is on the "excluded" list!

#2249020 - 11/29/10 09:09 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Synthoid]
Randelph Online   happy

Loc: San Francisco, CA
FWIW... I've got the MotionSound KP-500sn (2x12", 500 watts) and it's a good compromise. Piano sounds good, exclent low end, and as a one point stereo source I've been pleased with the sound. And the schleppage is surprisingly easy, light.

I've done similar things as what the OP was asking about with good results, but, it all depends on the room and placement of speakers of course. I used my headphone outs to the Motionsound amp, turned down the mids and treble a bit, and ran the r/l outs to another stereo speaker that has outstanding mids/highs, and used the eq to filter out the lows (which it struggles with anyway, and is the reason I tried this in the first place). In other words, a crude crossover arrangement.

But not really- they're both running mostly full range, with the larger speaker getting more bass duties. I've done this in the past, running multiple stereo systems, and while I can see the potential for problems, I've never had any- I've found that having multiple sets of speakers takes the load off of just one set, so that they don't have to work as hard to achieve room filling sound that feels effortless and full.

#2249077 - 11/29/10 12:37 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Randelph]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
The QSC Speakers they've been putting out have been the most popular among the players on this site than anything I can remember since I've been here. Light, portable, and a clear crisp sound that puts out a great level of db without breaking up. They're not the cheapest speakers you can get; which proves once again that you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Mike T.

#2249190 - 11/29/10 06:38 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Synthoid]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: Synthoid
am going to GC next chance I get and demo one of those k10s y'all are raving about.

They are on the excluded list at Guitar Center. The online reseller that I only found that QSC is not on the excluded list for a 15 percent discount is 8thstreet. I ordered there 2 KW1222 and a sub at 15 percent off. They are excluded on sites like Musiciansfriend too since we are naming names. 8thstreet=yes and still on sale today at 15. (Monday)

W

#2249197 - 11/29/10 07:05 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: WheelHead]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: WheelHead
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

They are on the excluded list at Guitar Center.

That list is getting pretty big. What good is a 15% discount if most of the gear we want is EXCLUDED?

Eeesh.

mad

#2249215 - 11/29/10 08:45 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Synthoid]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

{

#2250130 - 12/02/10 07:49 PM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Jazz+]
Hammonddave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Jazz+
{

+1 That's my system...

#2259435 - 01/06/11 08:06 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: Hammonddave]
vortmaxx Offline

Went to Gand about a month ago and after trying the motion sound, barbetta, and a used yamaha powered p.a. it was decided that p.a. is definitely the way to go. No contest in my mind.

So, I took everybody's advice and tried the k12s against the srm450 and about half of the jbl line. Again, no contest in my mind- the k12 was the best of the bunch by a long shot. GC had the end-of-year-$100-off deal and QSC actually WAS on the list- so I saved enough to get the gig bag too.

Happy New Year Indeed!

#2259454 - 01/06/11 09:06 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: vortmaxx]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NC, USA
Mono is for people who can't handle stereo. laugh

#2259491 - 01/06/11 10:38 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: learjeff]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: learjeff

It's also for people gigging in the real world, where 99.999999% of PA's are MONO.....

#2259492 - 01/06/11 10:41 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: area51recording]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Originally Posted By: area51recording

It's also for people gigging in the real world, where 99.999999% of PA's are MONO.....
Jeff's taking a jab at my repeated assertion that stereo is for amateurs. wink

web space
myspace

#2259513 - 01/06/11 11:13 AM Re: Best Small Stereo PA's For Running Keyboards Live [Re: kanker.]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: area51recording

Jeff's taking a jab at my repeated assertion that stereo is for amateurs. wink

Well....I'm ambidextrous...I can be just as much of an amateur in mono as in stereo smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner