Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Hi All,

This post is not on the topic of music or keyboards.

I have a relatively new passion; running. About 2.5 years ago, I was 50 lbs heavier and not in shape at all. I started eating better and lost a lot of weight, but I still wasn't excercising.

So in November '09 my wife convinced me to get a gym membership. So I treadmilled, and did some classes and enjoyed it okay.

Well, in April I entered my first organized race - a 5km (3.1 mile) race. I started going to the gym with a purpose, to train for this run. I ran it and did well, and learned some stuff. Then I did a 10km (6.2 mile (edit to fix typo)) race, and just yesterday did another 5km, and beat my personal best by over 2 mins.

Yesterday, while still on a runner high, I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon (21.1 km or about 13 miles). I am stoked about it, and can't wait, although I also keep wondering, 'am I nuts...??'.

I wish I discovered this earlier in life.

I believe that there are other runners out there... Post here if you feel like it.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I've ran for the last 6 years, but only recently has it been really enjoyable. Before it used to be "Mon., (sigh), a run day." Now it's "Yey it's Mon. - a run day!!!!" I run 8 kms Mon, Wed & Fri & walk 6kms Tues & Thurs. It's not a marathon or anything like it, but I'm out there & liking it. Lost 25 pounds in the last 5 months.

Go for the half marathon!!!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Think of a half-marathon as more like a double 10K, and you'll do just fine. You're only nuts if it becomes an addiction, like anything else. I used to live in Chicago, and one of the great things about the place is the lakefront running path and the huge running community- in fact, I met my wife in a running club there (20 yrs ago)!

Phred,

Congrats on your running! I'm a runner, and will be looking to do The Lehigh Valley Half next spring. I top out at about 8 miles now. My goal for this year was 400 miles and one 10 miler. The 400 isn't going to happen, but the 10 miler likely will at the end of October.

I often thought about a runner's thread on this Forum. I know Forumite Stepay is a distance runner. We had a gig Saturday and I had some nagging anxieties about it for some reason, 5K on the trail and a nap took care of that and I think I played my best ever!

There is a trail by my house in Long Valley. An old rail road bed that goes clear to High Bridge - 15 miles, mostly along a river. It's remote, beautiful and well groomed - all granules. I usually do speed intervals once a week at the track and then two medium distance runs per week on pieces of the trail. I love it. Although once I was charged by a fighting dog that I managed to scare off with a primitive scream that I don't where it came from, probably just fear; but that incident scared me so now I carry mace. I'm also a little concerned about bears.

Good luck and keep running! Definitely do that half. And you are not crazy!

Regards,

Joe

Well, in April I entered my first organized race - a 5km (3.1 mile) race. I started going to the gym with a purpose, to train for this run. I ran it and did well, and learned some stuff. Then I did a 10km (3.2 mile) race, and just yesterday did another 5km, and beat my personal best by over 2 mins.

wish I discovered this earlier in life.

I believe that there are other runners out there...

I believe you meant 10K = 6.2

Long time, pretty hardcore runner here. 23 Marathons completed and still at it. I don't have much time right now to say much more, I have to get in my 7 miles before the singers and misc. students start coming over but when I get a minute I'll try and find that old thread from a few years ago I started about running/working out and general fitness.

Congrats on "getting into it". It's as big a part of my life as the piano is.

How have you guys found running on your knees? Reason I ask is I've recently started to develop some nagging knee pain in each knee separately. What has helped a lot is cycling - I'm a road cyclist with a relatively nice race bike, and spinning fast for about an hour to 1.5 finally gets the pain worked out and mobility back in. I'm thus scared to try running again.

Tim,

I haven't had any knee problems, thank God! But I have a good pair of shoes and stick to the track and the trails so I'm not pounding the pavement. When my mileage gets high, muscle growth/contraction in the upper leg can pull on the ligaments in your knee and cause sharp pain, but stretching the upper leg eliminates it. Ankles and feet are more of a concern for this 45 year old. To that end I try to resist eating everything in sight like running makes you want to do. Less weight makes injury less likely.

Regards,

Joe

I started running in early sobriety over 15 years ago. You get a natural high from it.

Nowadays at 63 I only run a little 1/2 mile trail, then walk it back home. But since it's so short I can do it several times a week - usually every other day, but often every day if I'm going through shit.

Running, a little workout with weights, and eating responsibly keeps me in shape. I weigh the same as in my early 20s - 145.

My sponsor was a marathon runner and he got me started on it. But you need to know your limits. He collapsed after finishing a 23 mile run and died.

Yes I did - original post fixed. Thanks.

This is great, I had no idea that so man of you run.

Great stories all...

Bill, that's scary about your sponsor dying after a run.... I guess you really do need to know your limits.

I am enjoying the run training, and even the treadmill and cross training aspects of it. On my rest days, I am itching to run. My favourite days are my speed days (tempo runs or interval days) although I do like the slow long distance days too.

The organized races are great fun too. Yesterday's run had a 5k and a 1/2 marathon with roughly 7,000(!!!) people in each.

The starts of these races are crazy, and you get super pumped up... Love it.

P.S - My 5 and 7 year old daughters came to watch my wife and I run yesterday. after I finished, my 5 year old said, "Dad, is it okay to tell you that you didn't win?" I laughed and said "Yes, that's fine, I didn't expect to win". She said, "Is it okay to tell you that some kids beat you?".

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Yesterday, while still on a runner high, I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon (21.1 km or about 13 miles). I am stoked about it, and can't wait, although I also keep wondering, 'am I nuts...??'.

About 4 years ago, my girlfriend found a Couch to 5K training program. It's for those who never ran before and slowly builds you up to run a 5K. We both started and complete the program and I've been running ever since. I ran about a dozen organized 5Ks and have run maybe a half dozen 10K races. Last fall, some friends and I decided that we were going to sign up for the long island half marathon (which is in early May). At that point, I was running 5-6 miles three times a weeks so I figured I had 6 months training to build up endurance to run a half.

Then winter hit.

We had a pretty bad winter this year, and I prefer running outdoors. I just don't have the dedication to run when there is snow on the ground. When th weather warmed up (March), I was starting from nothing. I tried ramping up quickly, but developed ankle problems. I had to shut it down for 3 weeks.

When may rolled around, I ran the 1/2, but it was GRUELING. My foot was killing me by the time I finished.

I'd like to run another 1/2 but I'm not going to make the same mistake again. The next time I'm going to sign up for one in the fall, so I have all spring/summer/fall to make sure I've prepared properly.

Bill, that's scary about your sponsor dying after a run.... I guess you really do need to know your limits.

I don't want to scare anyone off from running. He was in his late 40s and not training like he used to. Plus he had picked up a couple of nasty habits - nicotine gum and chewing - which I'm sure didn't do his heart any good. That's what he died from - massive heart failure.

His wife said that his heart had been giving him warning signs, but he never had it checked out. In retrospect I don't think he wanted to hear what a doctor would have probably told him after a workup.

Yes I did - original post fixed. Thanks.

This is great, I had no idea that so man of you run.

Great stories all...

I am enjoying the run training, and even the treadmill and cross training aspects of it. On my rest days, I am itching to run. My favourite days are my speed days (tempo runs or interval days) although I do like the slow long distance days too.

The organized races are great fun too. Yesterday's run had a 5k and a 1/2 marathon with roughly 7,000(!!!) people in each.

The starts of these races are crazy, and you get super pumped up... Love it.

P.S - My 5 and 7 year old daughters came to watch my wife and I run yesterday. after I finished, my 5 year old said, "Dad, is it okay to tell you that you didn't win?" I laughed and said "Yes, that's fine, I didn't expect to win". She said, "Is it okay to tell you that some kids beat you?".

I like the intervals because they are short, and that is what I did mostly over the summer in the heat. But I like the long runs best. Usually, since I hate the "out and back" situation, my wife will drop me off at the trail head, take the kids to the park and pick me 75 minutes later 8 miles or so down range. I use a bottle belt. No iPod.

Phred, it is a good eample you and your missus are setting for the kids, they have a much better chance of being healthy adults. My 2 boys ages 3 & 5 love to meet me at the end and run along side me for as long as they can.

Regards,

Joe

Cool thread.

I walk, it's like running except you walk. :laugh: We have a park near with a 2 mile trail around the lake, I do it every morning. At nite I do another mile or 2 around my apt complex and I occasionally hit the treadmill. I've been dieting and have lost 48 pounds in since June 1.

Cool thread.

I walk, it's like running except you walk. :laugh:

That's awesome.

I like the intervals because they are short, and that is what I did mostly over the summer in the heat. But I like the long runs best.

I like the intervals, and the tempo runs because I like going fast. I do enjoy a long slow run too, but really like trying to beat my last time. I am very competitive with myself.

I've been getting in worse and worse shape as a result of stress, sedentary lifestyle and depression. Blood pressure was bad - like 195/125 bad. Was badly overweight, skin was breaking out, etc.

Swayed by the infomercials I bought a used, legal box of P90x DVDs off craig's list. Best thing I ever did. The workouts are difficult and taxing, no gimmicks or shortcuts. I felt good enough to get back on the road bike. I've put on some muscle, lost a bunch of weight, blood pressure is 110/80, skin's cleared up. That Tony Horton guy in the infomercials is legit.

Wow Cygnus congrats on that weight loss. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Phred, what is worse on the intervals for you, the speed lap or the recoveries? The recoveries are worse for me. Aaah! I am scheduled for intervals tomorrow night! But they make the long runs easy. :thu:

Regards,

Joe

running would grind my knees to dust. i walk a lot (2 big dogs) but it does little for me in the way of weight loss or fitness. congrats to you guys who are making a lifestyle change for the better. if i could only stop eating food that i cook and having my ipa's, i might be able to join you!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

A great thing about running is how efficient it is, for those of us with time management challenges. Put on your shoes, go out your door, you're back in 45 or 60 or 75 minutes having had a great work out.

But it's also very destructive to parts that are prone to wearing out. Some people are built for it more so than others. I recently got a rowing machine (Concept II). With the right technique, you get a rigorous workout in less than 30 minutes. (With the wrong technique, you'll flail away and get a very poor workout). I balance that with running and swimming, and don't worry much about parts breaking down.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Used to run but got bored and my knees started to go. I now do the treadmill at home for 30-90 minutes 3-6 days a week. The secret for me is having the treadmill and good movies, free from the library. I plop in a DVD and watch for a a minumum of 20 minutes; I just try to do that several times a day--if I can do a longer time, great, but I've read that several shorter workouts will add up as well. I set the incline to maximum and the speed to 3.5 mph and work up quite a sweat. Action films really get the adrenaline pumping--I was on the treadmill for 75 minutes at the incline and speed while watching one of the Bourne movies.

Here's a not so short synopsis of my running history. Pull up a chair, it's a long read.

My first race was the Long Beach Marathon at age 35 in 1988. I was basically living on the road and acquired a lot of bad unhealthy lifestyle habits and wanted to change that. I'd run since my early 20s although I never considered myself a "runner". I'd go for 5 miles one day , skip 3 days, run maybe 3 and wouldn't run for a month. So all over the place with no plan or any type of consistency.

I picked up this book written by some contributors to "Runners World". At that time it was the only book that I saw available written on training for the Marathon. It was part about the basics of running to preparing for the Marathon distance. From what I remember, a lot of it was inspirational too. I found it fascinating. I was always reading it on the plane and in the airports. I started running more on the road since there was nothing going on in the day. I didn't know how far or how fast I was running. I just went out and ran and turned around when it felt like I should and headed back to the hotel. The whole time I'm still reading this book but not really thinking about actually attempting the 26.2 distance. So this went on for probaly about 8 months and I was starting to get a little fit so I picked the LB Marathon in May of '88. It was still about 5 months off. I followed the advice of the book, I did maybe 3 long runs, again I can't remember how far but it seemed far enough. So I just went for it. I knew nothing about pace, mile splits, whatever. I just ran. That's the way everyone should approach their first Marathon. Just run to finish and forget about the watch. I ended up doing 3:45. I didn't know if that was considered good or what. I wasn't in any running groups , did all my training by myself, so I had no clue.

After that I got involved with a running group/club in the San Fernando Valley called the "Basin Blues". There were some pretty knowledgeable, amazing and competitive people who really taught me the ropes of training and racing. I started doing the track intervals every Tuesday night, I never missed one in like 5 or 6 years.. I would even not take a gig if it meant missing the Tuesday night track workout. They also introduced me to running on trails which to this day is my favorite running environment.

One of the main guys of the club was a few years older then me. Along with his wife, they had done the original "Iron Man" in Kona, Hawaii something like 8 years in a row. They were both animals. While their main focus was running they also put in time on the bike and in the pool to prepare for Iron Man. I started doing these infamous "20 milers" every friggin' Saturday morning in the Santa Monica Mountains. Ridiculous 45 minute straight climbing up a 7% grade in the searing heat , in the rain, didn't matter. These folks were out of their mind and I was just following along. So of course Marathons to them were just another training run. I remember vividly one year at the Long Beach Marathon with this over achiever guy. Bill and I were at Mile 22 and it was a really unseasonably hot day for May. I'm suffering big time and not into it at this point at all. In fact my mind is telling me, I hate this shit, this the LAST one, no more Marathons. Bill looks over at me with about 3 miles to go and says "So what are we doing next "? I didn't even have the energy to answer him as every bit of last ounce was being used to try and get through the next few miles. I wanted to shoot him though. They were always flying around the country and doing at least one a month. At track on Tuesday they'd announce--"hey there's a Marathon in Cincinnati this Sunday. Louise and I are flying out, anyone want to join us" ? I did 3 one year with them and that seemed like enough for me. Anyway that's how I really got way into it.

Some of my most memorable races were:

My only NY Marathon in 1989-3:23

The Portland (Oregon) Marathon in Oct., 1990 - I ran this to qualify for my first Boston Marathon. My qualifying time for my age group (35-40) was under 3:15:59. I just squeezed in at 3:14:40. I thought the qualifying time was UNDER 3:15--3:14:59, I didn't know they gave you the extra minute. So the whole race I'm doing the math in my head the best I can and trying to calculate my finishing time. Finally at around Mile 20 your mental state is barely functioning so you can't even add 2 & 2. So I'm looking at the clock above the finish line about 250 yards out, looking at my watch, watching the time count down and thinking...SHIT-go, Go, GO , I GOTTA MAKE THIS!!!! I've never dug so deep and pushed at the end of a race so hard since.

All three Boston Marathons:

The first is always the most memorable. I was having a really bad day, had this thought of dropping out. I stopped in the first aid tent at 13.1 and the aid is saying..."Is this your first Marathon" ? and I said NO!! but it feels like it. :laugh: Terrible bone chilling New England "spring" (this is spring?! you gotta be kiddin' me) cold and rainy weather but I sucked it up and still managed a 3:28. On the finish line photo I look like death warmed over.

My best Boston was '95 when I did a 3:18:41. I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I saw how far I was down in the race results for my age group that evening. The most serious runners from around the world come to Boston and I was way down there in placing.

I did the infamous 100th running of Boston the following year but it was bittersweet because of the massive crowds. They had something like 35,000 people on a two lane road from Hopkinton on into town. I literally couldn't pass anyone till the Newton Hills almost 13 miles in. By that time I was so used to this plodding pace, my legs couldn't pick it up and I finished in a disappointing 3:48.

As far as racing achievements go, I was most proud of at age 47 returning to the site of my first Marathon, Long Beach in 2000 and running a 3:14:20. A 20 second PR (personal record) 10 years after my other PR at age 37 in the Portland Marathon. I trained like a mad man for this, something I could never do at that level again. Not only physically but mentally.

I was never a "fast guy" , just mediocre and consistent. If certain fast guys in my age group chose not to show for a local race, I could take first or second in my age group, but only at small local races.

My 10K pr is 38:40 at 40 years old in the "Jet to Jetty" at Dockweiler State Beach in Playa Del Ray.

Half -Marathon is 1:28 on a hilly course in San Pedro when I was 42.

And 5K is 18:45 in my very first 5K, the Gardena 5000, run under peer pressure from my new running club in '97 at age 44.

At the other extreme I've run one "ultra-Marathon". A 50K in the Santa Monica Mountains with some tough uphill sections. I managed to do a 4:33 and swore I'll never be on my feet that long again. The Ultras are not my thing.

I've completed 23 Marathons and and had one DNF (did not finish) due to passing a kidney stone :cry: at mile 20 of the Culver City Marathon in '96.

Dozens of half- marathons, 10Ks, a few 10 milers, not as many 5Ks because they are a bit too intense for me. I figure I've logged somewhere between 45,000 and 50,000 miles in my life. I still generally feel good and hope to continue on till I can't anymore.

Basically I used to run to race. Now I've mellowed and just get out there for fun, the camaraderie with old friends and to stay fit. I haven't pinned on a number since the Santa Clarita half -Marathon 6 years ago...that's a LONG time for somebody that used to race like I did.

I ran over 2000 miles a year (at least 38 miles a week) almost 18 years in a row ( I wrote about it in the thread) until the age thing finally started catching up with me. I'm 57 and I average around 30 miles a week but much slower these days. Although last week I had a moment of insanity were I randomly bumped it up to 51 miles running everyday...trying to re-capture my youth. :laugh: But I'm very happy and thankful for just being able to still get out there and run at a pretty respectable level when many of my running friends, many way more talented then me, have dropped by the wayside either due to injury or burnout.

So there's something to be said for mediocre consistency over a long period of time. :laugh:

Here's that old thread

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1839827/End_of_07_08_Musician_Fitness_#Post1839827

Good job, you runners! I respect and admire you, but can't join in; my knees don't tolerate more than, literally, 2 minutes of jogging. However, I began cycling in June of this year, after getting bored with swimming laps for 20 years. Enjoying the progress and having something to look at, other than the bottom of a pool or lake.
"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

I'm with you Daviel. And keep in mind that if somebody chases you longer than you can run, that's why they make firearms!

I don't run, not good for the knees. I prefer brisk hikes. I avoid walking or hiking on hard surfaces. I enjoy going out for a walk in the country side. There is a lot of farm land and woods right around my house and I enjoy hiking out in the fresh air, especially during the months of fall, before it gets too cold and windy.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Phred, what is worse on the intervals for you, the speed lap or the recoveries?

It depends on how fast my speed lap is. :) I personally try to speed lap as fast as I can Basicaly sprint for 400meters. When I do that, I long for the recovery lap. :).

Dave, that was a great read... I am 36 years old and just starting out, and I am very amazed at your times. Your 5K and 10K are blistering compared to mine, and I did fairly well in my age group for both (22:32 5K, and 48:06 for 10K). It's nice to know that there is some room for improvements.

I was feeling a little nervous about the 1/2 marathon so I did a 14K last night and that calmed my nerves. I now have no doubt I can finish the 1/2 and hit my goal (under 1h 50min).

DanL, in my experience what you eat has much more of an impact on you weight and overall health than straight excercise. eg, I ran 14 KM yesterday, and according to my Garmin watch, I burned about 1000 cals. It takes 3500 cals to burn 1 lb of fat.

That being said, the more muscle you have the less cals it takes to burn fat. All this to say, both diet and excercise together are the key for healthy living.

I just did my morning constitutional. Since I've been walking these past 4 months, I realized that something was missing in my life: being outdoors. :thu: I've never been an outdoorsy type, I was a city slicker. As I get older, I realize that it's good for the brain to get away from concrete and cars.

Here's where I spend every morning these days:

Sunny Lake