Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2209384 - 07/08/10 08:42 PM Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner?
takabanana Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm looking for a beginners (but serious) keyboard for my 7-year-old son who wants to start taking piano lessons.
I *think* I narrowed it down to one of these 2 (other suggestions are welcome, but I'm trying to stay under $150, preferably under $120):
Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100.
I'm trying to see which of these 2 is better or more appropriate.
Any pros/cons to each? Opinions and thoughts welcome!
Thanks!

(P.S. I did a search on "Best Beginner Keyboard" in these forums for the last year and didn't come up with anything useful)

KC Island
#2209390 - 07/08/10 08:58 PM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: takabanana]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: takabanana
I'm looking for a beginners (but serious) keyboard for my 7-year-old son who wants to start taking piano lessons.
I *think* I narrowed it down to one of these 2 (other suggestions are welcome, but I'm trying to stay under $150, preferably under $120):
I'm trying to see which of these 2 is better or more appropriate.
Any pros/cons to each? Opinions and thoughts welcome!
Thanks!

(P.S. I did a search on "Best Beginner Keyboard" in these forums for the last year and didn't come up with anything useful)

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, neither one of those is appropriate for your child for piano lessons, as neither one has what is referred to as a weighted action.

Your budget is incredibly low, and as such is well below the price of a weighted action instrument that is suitable for lessons.

If that's unimportant to you, or you're otherwise jammed for cash, then either one of those will be equally inappropriate.

You might want to consider either financing or renting a better quality instrument, such as a Yamaha P85 (recently replaced with the P95) or the Casio PX-130 or PX-330. Check your local retailer for options.

Hope this helps. thu

#2209428 - 07/09/10 02:19 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: Sven Golly]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Sven is right - for piano lessons you will need something with a weighted keyboard. With your budget, and assuming you have the room, you may be better scanning your local newspaper to see if anyone is getting rid of an upright acoustic piano cheaply. It won't be the greatest instrument either, but it will be a better practice proposition than any of the two you mention.

#2209481 - 07/09/10 07:20 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: Aidan]
takabanana Offline

Wow - ok - I definitely appreciate the honest opinion (that's why I posted here!).
Now, budget-wise, yes we are kinda stuck between $100-150. Assuming that's *all* we can afford to put towards it (we are looking at something that may last 2 years - for all we know, he may get bored with lessons by then), do you have ANY suggestions on make/model? Used is fine too (and if so, where are good places to look for used besides Craigslist? Any online stores? I was peeking at Musician's Friend.)
Also - we were hoping it'd be something "portable" (i.e. he can bring it to "grandmas" when he wants to).
Just a FYI - I have heard other people say something similar (that the "feel" of the keys is important) - and I do agree; but we're also on a very tight budget and am looking for something that can be had for under $150.
ANY suggestions would be appreciated... thanks guys!
We've gotta find something soon; his BD is in 3 weeks! :-)

#2209483 - 07/09/10 07:28 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: takabanana]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Brand-wise, you're in the right ballpark, as both Yamaha and Casio make fine instruments (as well as their share of budget crap, IMO wink ). You can also add Roland to the list of potential items within your budget.

Look around for a Yamaha P-series board (P80, P90, P120, etc), or Casio PX series, or Roland FP series. Check Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay, etc. You're not going to find anything as new stock that will fit your budget.

As I mentioned, investigate renting a portable piano; check your local retailer and ask what they have with weighted (or at least semi-weighted) action for your child to learn piano with.

Just as a point of reference, the minimum budget for one of these types of boards new is around $500 new, with some rare options in the $300-400 range.

Good luck. If something catches your eye on any of the sites I mention above, update this thread and we can advise. thu

#2209484 - 07/09/10 07:29 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: takabanana]
takabanana Offline

ok I guess I should add, if $150 is way too low (starting to sound like it - also from some searches) for a weighted keyboard, how much is reasonable to spend on a good, beginner's keyboard or digital piano with weighted keys, even if used? Any suggestions on specific models (and places to buy them used) would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

#2209487 - 07/09/10 07:31 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: takabanana]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Clarkston MI
ok I guess I should add, if $150 is way too low (starting to sound like it - also from some searches) for a weighted keyboard, how much is reasonable to spend on a good, beginner's keyboard or digital piano with weighted keys, even if used? Any suggestions on specific models (and places to buy them used) would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
You could probably get your hands on a used P90 yamaha for $400. A used P80 maybe even less.

Yamaha Motif XS8, Nord Electro 3 seventy three, Neo Ventilator, Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase

#2209497 - 07/09/10 07:59 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: Mogut]
takabanana Offline

Thoughts on any of these?

Yamaha NP-30
Yamaha DGX-230
Yamaha YPG235

How do these compare to P-80/P-90?
How do these look, for a 7-yo beginner? Looking to make it "last" about 2 years...

#2209499 - 07/09/10 08:01 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: Mogut]
Toano88 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
You can sometime find a casio pianos used cheap. I've seen the PX120 and the older CDP-100 for as low as $250 on craigslist.

#2209501 - 07/09/10 08:03 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: Toano88]
Toano88 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
I've heard good things about the Yamaha NP-30 it's semi-weighted but still a much better choice the YPT-220 or CTK-2100.

#2209504 - 07/09/10 08:11 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: takabanana]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Thoughts on any of these?

Yamaha NP-30
Yamaha DGX-230
Yamaha YPG235

How do these compare to P-80/P-90?
How do these look, for a 7-yo beginner? Looking to make it "last" about 2 years...

None of those compare to the P series, in terms of action. The best analogy I can think of is that you want your child to become physically strong, so you send him to a gym. Gym #1 has a good nautilus machine with a wide range of weights for him to use for exercising; Gym #2 has a bunch of foam rubber balls attached to sticks. In this analogy, Gym #1 = a good weighted action keyboard, Gym #2 = everything you've mentioned so far.

wink

Originally Posted By: Toano88
I've heard good things about the Yamaha NP-30 it's semi-weighted but still a much better choice the YPT-220 or CTK-2100.

No, it's practically unweighted... it's Yamaha's GHS (Graded Hammer Soft) action, absolutely no weighting worth mentioning.

Might as well go with one of the first 2 the OP mentioned, except that the NP has 76 keys, so that's a small benefit.

#2209511 - 07/09/10 08:22 AM Re: Yamaha YPT-220 or Casio CTK-2100 for beginner? [Re: takabanana]
yorgatron Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Jose Ca.

go ahead and buy one of these.
or better yet,find a similar model on craigslist,some of them are as low as $25 wave
better to find out if the kid is going to maintain interest first,then invest in something more substantial later on,as talent and money permits.
besides,if the kid wants to play keys and veers off into synthesizers the weighted action is unnecessary.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner