Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Monitors...again

Ok I have a small project studio(based around a Yamaha AW4416) that I record my band and also some local bands.I have been using the Event 20/20s(passive) for last 2 years.Basically I think they are a decent monitor for the money but seem to have problems( esp.with bass defintion and "forward" mids).I'm ready to take the next step up...budget is $1000-1200.Been looking at the Mackie Hr824s and they seem to fit what I'm looking for...anything else in that price range to consider? I've read mixed reviews on the KRKs and Genelecs,I would love to get the ADAMs(from what I've read) but out of my price range for now. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated Thanks \Rivers

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, IMHO, you should just save up for them and make due with what you have. Personally, while I find the Mackie's a better monitor than the Events, I find them far from perfect as well. I've been making due for a few years now saving up for a truly great set of monitors (as well as searching). If you get something that is only a step up from what you have today, a year or two from now, you'll be in the same position as you are currently. Maybe at that time you'll only be able to afford another $1,000-1,200 (or maybe $1,500). Of course, this may depend on how long it will take for you to save up to get, say a set of ADAM S2-A's or P-22A's. From my experience, I've spent too much time and money constantly upgrading things in my little studio. I have enough gear that I don't need to go out and buy the latest and greatest all of the time and save up for what I need and buy quality. MHO is that what sounds great today, sounds great tomorrow. HTH and good luck. fv

Thanks for reply... I tend to agree with you about saving up for the ADAMs but I'm not sure I could justify ~$3000 for a pair of monitors with my current setup,especially if $1000 pair of monitors gets me 90% of the way there...I hope I can continue to upgrade but you gotta draw the line somewhere(at least at the serious hobbyist level). Rivers

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

Thankfully I gave up NS10s a few years ago. As I have ATC SCM100As :D I find that Genelec 1029s do the job of nearfields. As main monitors they would be a bit small unless linked to the sub box, the bigger models might do on their own. I recently had a chance to compare the Genelecs to Mackies and found the Mackies very overblown and thick. I think you would end up with mixes which would sound quite thin and cold if you relied on those. A regular client has HHB Circle5s (availability in USA unknown) which sound very sweet and open, and his mixes sound well balanced on most other equipment.
It's not a successful climb unless you enjoy the journey

[quote]Originally posted by saucyjack: [QB][/QB][/quote] I don't have any advice for you other than check out Tannoy Reveals... but I do want to say you've got the funniest nick on these boards.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Thanks Chip been admiring your posts from afar...(btw I'm just up the road a fur piece here in Knoxville) I'll check into the Reveals but seems like it might be a more "lateral" move from the Events. Come on guys is there nothing in the $1000 range for decent nearfields/main monitors? I'll add that its difficult/impossible for me to really audition any of these monitors around here...oh except at the local Guitar Satan but lately I've been breaking out into hives when I set foot in the damn place....

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

Archived