Print Thread
Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review #2194819
05/27/10 02:36 AM
05/27/10 02:36 AM
C
Cadmann Offline OP
Cadmann  Offline OP
C

I've gotten some good advice on a Keyboard Corner forum about recommended keyboard amps or using PA speakers. Now I'd like to see a Keyboard Mag Roundup of the best combo amps and powered speakers for keys, particularly piano sounds. I understand you had a review in the October 2006 issue. How can I find that? I've search Google with no luck. Also, has there been a more recent roundup? If not, how about doing one? It's so difficult to try out amps at a music store, because it seems the only ones set up are being used as monitors for keyboards. And in my experience they're all Roland amps, which I don't like because of how clunky they make pianos sound.

Help?

Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: Cadmann] #2203003
06/18/10 10:05 PM
06/18/10 10:05 PM
CA
nitekatt2008 Offline
nitekatt2008  Offline

CA
Originally Posted By: Cadmann
I've gotten some good advice on a Keyboard Corner forum about recommended keyboard amps or using PA speakers. Now I'd like to see a Keyboard Mag Roundup of the best combo amps and powered speakers for keys, particularly piano sounds. I understand you had a review in the October 2006 issue. How can I find that? I've search Google with no luck. Also, has there been a more recent roundup? If not, how about doing one? It's so difficult to try out amps at a music store, because it seems the only ones set up are being used as monitors for keyboards. And in my experience they're all Roland amps, which I don't like because of how clunky they make pianos sound.

Help?

I second that. I am always searching online and doing research on what the best speaker systems keyboard players are using on live gigs and in the studio. And with all the available acoustic piano sampling and modeling VIs, plus the latest digital pianos, getting the right monitors that can reproduce the highest level of the stereo image is imperative in optimal sound output.

katt

nk2008
Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: nitekatt2008] #2249025
11/29/10 02:39 PM
11/29/10 02:39 PM
San Francisco, CA
Randelph Offline
Gold Member
Randelph  Offline
Gold Member

San Francisco, CA
Yes, I second that as well!

Another thing to cover in such a comparison review would be monitoring in stereo vs. mono, and using various top keyboards to weigh in on how much of a difference it makes. FOH sound is something different, as a key player you don't have control over that and can't even hear it, but for monitoring, the debate rages on: mono vs. stereo.

Ideally, this would be a multi-part review:

1) Keyboard combo amps, mono and stereo: which are the best at their price points and how well they do as monitors AND how well they do when pressed into double service in a smaller setting for both monitors and pa for the keyboard.

There's obviously way too many keyboard combo amps out there, so only comparing/reviewing bang-for-buck models that:
~ can put out a satisfying amount of bass for keys, organ, etc.
~ reproduces piano well
~ weighs under 60 pounds (?). well, maybe not. I hate scheleppage, but...

2) PA speakers. Same criteria:
~ bang for buck bass, good piano reproduction, lower weight is better.

But this is a different animal. You can get away with 1 speaker, but for many of us stereo is the way to go, so that means 2 boxes to deal with instead of 1. So the question becomes:
? Is the extra gear/expense/scheleppage of pa speakers worth it compared to a good combo amp (and in what settings)?
? How to optimally position: does a floor monitor position work well, or are stands required?

NS 88 Classic / iRig Keys I/O 49 / iPad Syntronik, Galileo, Neo Soul Keys
Win10 laptop i7 8GB 500GB
Yamaha melodica, alto recorder / Congas
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3
Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: Randelph] #2249030
11/29/10 03:16 PM
11/29/10 03:16 PM
C
Cadmann Offline OP
Cadmann  Offline OP
C

Thanks for your support, R & N!

I left that post back May, and since then I think I've seen or heard a couple of references to a combo amp roundup "coming soon." C'mon, Keyboard Mag, you're our most trusted source, next to our own ears.

In the meantime, if anyone can locate that Oct 2006 roundup and post the link to it, I'd be most appreciative!

Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: Cadmann] #2249167
11/29/10 10:33 PM
11/29/10 10:33 PM
Central PA, USA
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MikeT156  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Central PA, USA
If you spend enough time on KB Corner you will find that KB players don't use KB amps. Why? The vast majority of them are no good for keyboards. So the name KB amp is a joke. Keyboard Mag would be wasting valuable space to review products that any self respecting KB player wouldn't be caught using. I read a sig by one of the regular members of KB corner and it went something like "The only thing I run through my Roland KB amp is a CHAIN Saw". sick Nuff said.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.
Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: MikeT156] #2249275
11/30/10 10:53 AM
11/30/10 10:53 AM
Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
Joe Muscara  Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Heaven, Hell, or Houston
There is no debate. "Stereo is for amateurs."

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: Joe Muscara] #2252463
12/11/10 02:16 PM
12/11/10 02:16 PM
Virginia
C
Charles Hunter Offline
Charles Hunter  Offline
C

Virginia
Well, what kind of amplification is working for stage musicians today? I can't always trust the sound man to give me what I want.

Ojuleba
Re: Looking for a Keyboard Amp Round-up Review [Re: Charles Hunter] #2254818
12/21/10 10:13 AM
12/21/10 10:13 AM
Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
Joe Muscara  Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Check the latest issue, with Rick Wakeman featured in it.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!