Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2182297 - 04/18/10 08:00 AM Saw Jeff Beck last night
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
And it was without a doubt the worst concert experience of my life. To be clear, Beck, as always, was stunning, superlative. He's the uncontested master virtuoso of the electric guitar, period. OK. But my ticket said Jeff Beck on it, the Internet flyers said Jeff Beck, the theater marquee said Jeff Beck on it. So why was the featured musician the drummer, Narada Michael Walden? Narada is a very fine drummer, but I paid to hear Jeff Beck & I expect Jeff Beck to be the featured artist. The drums were mixed 10 to 15 db above everything else, with kick drum predominating the over all mix to an absolutely stupid degree. This is a band about an amazing guitar player, it is not about sub-40Hz thump. The engineer mixing this concert absolutely sabotaged Beck's artistry by being completely insensitive to the notion of musicality in a mix. Understanding something about how instruments function in creating musical blend isn't rocket science, & it isn't rocket science to be able to get the guitar frequency range to cut through a mix, especially when the mix is a four piece band, whose players leave a lot of space for the guitar. Mixing for maximum rhythm section punch might be standard for hip hop & dance clubs for teenagers, but this is a premiere level artist & the audience was predominantly 40+. The mix was a disgrace to the profession of audio mixing. I make my living mixing, so I can say that without reservation.

Opening was Dweezil Zappa playing a set of his father's music. A number of presumably good musicians appeared on stage & presumably played well, but I couldn't tell since most of them were buried under an avalanche of kick drum. I think if you can see a musician playing on stage it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to expect that their instrument should be audible at some point, but apparently that's not the way of the modern world.

Disgusted,
Scott Fraser

GP Island
#2182340 - 04/18/10 11:04 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
Fingerstyle_Jim Offline
Gold Member

Loc: CANADA
I had the same experience several years ago at a 5440 concert. They are a four piece band, drums, bass and two guitars, although most of the time it's only the one guitar because the lead singer only plays on some songs. Anyway, the venue was a beautiful "soft-seater" designed for great acoustics and what did we get? Drums and bass, wall to wall through every song. You couldn't even hear the singer and when the lead guitarist did do a solo(5440's not big on guitar solos but live they let the guy rip a bit)he would stand right on the edge of the stage, you could see his fingers flailing, and he was doing all the guitar-face mugging, but we couldn't hear a note for the THUMP-THUMP-THUMP. It was the same for the opening act, "Grapes of Wrath"(yeah, it was that long ago) but a funny thing happened during thier set. A fuse or breaker blew halfway into the 3rd song and the lead singer happened to be playing an electric/acoustic so he kept playing and went to the front of the stage and did two or three songs totally unplugged until they got it all working again and it was the highlight of the evening. You could hear every word and every note and I'm sure me and my entourage weren't the only ones that were disappointed when the power came back on.

Jim

#2182361 - 04/18/10 12:08 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
rwgtr Offline

Thanks for the review. Sorry your experience was so bad. I was wondering about the instrumentation on this tour. There is some footage on youtube of a string section, vocalists and and a violinist joining in. I'd love to Jeff Beck again, but it's at least a three hour drive.

#2182374 - 04/18/10 01:19 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: rwgtr]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: rwgtr
Thanks for the review. Sorry your experience was so bad. I was wondering about the instrumentation on this tour. There is some footage on youtube of a string section, vocalists and and a violinist joining in. I'd love to Jeff Beck again, but it's at least a three hour drive.

Yes, there was a string section. No guest violinist nor vocalist. The bassist Rhonda (didn't catch her last name because Jeff's introduction, like most else, was indecipherable,) sang "Rollin' & Tumblin'" & Sly's "Wanna Take You Higher". The string section played about a quarter of the set, mostly the new album pieces. In the few parts without drums where the strings were audible they sounded horrible, very midrangy, lacking any sense of realism, luster or warmth. I tour with a well known string quartet, doing their FOH mix, so I know what strings sound like, & this sounded dreadful. Any time drums were playing the strings were 100% inaudible, buried, gone. The highlight was the encore, Puccini's Nessun Dorma aria, just strings & Jeff, no drums. One of music's most heart-stoppingly gorgeous melodies ever. But we had to sit through 2 hours of non-stop pummeling blows to the head to get to that moment of transcendence.

Scott Fraser

#2182392 - 04/18/10 02:49 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Yeah, that seems to be the approach a lot of sound men take these days, heavy on the drums especially the kick drum, some highs and no midrange whatsoever. I would have thought someone like Jeff Beck would travel with his own FOH and monitor mix guys, and they'd know who was the star of the show...

#2182409 - 04/18/10 04:21 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
rwgtr Offline

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: rwgtr

Yes, there was a string section. No guest violinist nor vocalist. The bassist Rhonda (didn't catch her last name because Jeff's introduction, like most else, was indecipherable,) sang "Rollin' & Tumblin'" & Sly's "Wanna Take You Higher". The string section played about a quarter of the set, mostly the new album pieces. In the few parts without drums where the strings were audible they sounded horrible, very midrangy, lacking any sense of realism, luster or warmth. I tour with a well known string quartet, doing their FOH mix, so I know what strings sound like, & this sounded dreadful. Any time drums were playing the strings were 100% inaudible, buried, gone. The highlight was the encore, Puccini's Nessun Dorma aria, just strings & Jeff, no drums. One of music's most heart-stoppingly gorgeous melodies ever. But we had to sit through 2 hours of non-stop pummeling blows to the head to get to that moment of transcendence.

Scott Fraser

Major bummer. Surely they hired a legit sound company and aren't leaving it up to the venue or promoter!? NMR is an amazingly talented drummer, producer and musician, if he knew about such terrible mix....hopefully the Jeff Beck people are taking notice. There is way more nuance in this show than the typical rock or rap. Hopefully the foh dude has more than one scene loaded on his thumb drive.

#2182421 - 04/18/10 05:18 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: rwgtr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Wow, that's completely ridiculous!

You work with- or have worked with- the Kronos Quartet, right, Scott? I saw them years ago at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, US; I think it was Bailey or Barnes Hall, can't remember which for sure.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2182455 - 04/18/10 09:12 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Fumblyfingers Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was at that show Scott. I was seated 8 rows back and slightly off center. H205. I absolutely agree with your assessment of the mix...or lack of it. That subwoofer deal that came in once in a while was terrible. It was like the sound engineer....if you can call him that....was trying to make it sound they way he wanted it to sound with complete disregard to the artist. He buried that orchestra and made them sound awful to boot.

Do you think he tours with the show or is a house guy? If he is touring with the show he should be replaced.

#2182460 - 04/18/10 09:40 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Wow, that's completely ridiculous!

You work with- or have worked with- the Kronos Quartet, right, Scott? I saw them years ago at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, US; I think it was Bailey or Barnes Hall, can't remember which for sure.

Yeah, I've been mixing Kronos for nearly 20 years. I've done at least a couple gigs at Cornell over the years, although our last time in Ithaca was at a theater downtown, part of a new music festival.

Scott Fraser

#2182494 - 04/19/10 05:47 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I thought this sort of nonsense only happened in CHURCH bands? LOL

Seriously, a good sound man can't make a bad band sound GOOD, but a bad sound man can surely make a good band sound BAD!

The best club for sound I ever went to was the late lamented Bottom Line in NYC - the sound was always great, and there were many fine acts that went there - and the ticket price was only $15.

So it was a shock to me when I went to a famous rock club in lower Manhattan, and the sound was just LOUD MUD - you had to really listen to pick out the individual parts - if you were lucky! LOL But no one else there seemed to care. I guess they're used to it!

Edited by Eric Iverson (04/19/10 05:48 AM)

#2182543 - 04/19/10 08:35 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Fumblyfingers]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Fumblyfingers
I was at that show Scott. I was seated 8 rows back and slightly off center. H205. I absolutely agree with your assessment of the mix...or lack of it. That subwoofer deal that came in once in a while was terrible. It was like the sound engineer....if you can call him that....was trying to make it sound they way he wanted it to sound with complete disregard to the artist. He buried that orchestra and made them sound awful to boot.
Do you think he tours with the show or is a house guy? If he is touring with the show he should be replaced.

Even third tier bands tour with their own sound guy now, so it would have to have been Jeff's engineer. Dweezil's sound guy was even worse. I think we now have a generation of young engineers whose primary, if not exclusive experience of music has been the beat driven hip hop & dance pop of the last 10 to 15 years. These mixes display no apparent understanding of the roles various instruments play in the creation of music, no awareness of the underpinnings of music theory or history, no appreciation of acoustics & human perceptual & neurological processing of auditory & musical information. It's profoundly disappointing that one person performing a substandard mix can screw the pooch for thousands of enthusiastic fans who paid to see a legendary artist, & instead got an excruciatingly frustrating experience that required intense focus & concentration just to listen through the horrible noise to be able to perceive any of Jeff's subtle & nuanced playing. It was just unbelievable.

Scott Fraser

#2182548 - 04/19/10 08:47 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've tried to explain to some sound crews - again, mostly kids in churches - that "good sound is clean sound. You should be able to hear EVERYONE clearly, including the singers." Mostly they didn't grasp the concept. Of course, the equipment wasn't up to par and the church had lousy acoustics; and the kids were untrained volunteers.

But in a PROFESSIONAL setting, it shouldn't be like that. There's no excuse for it.

The Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD sounded great - so I guess it isn't normal for him to sound lousy live. Maybe he didn't realize how bad it sounded out in the audience.

#2182554 - 04/19/10 09:04 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Eric Iverson]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson

The Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD sounded great - so I guess it isn't normal for him to sound lousy live. Maybe he didn't realize how bad it sounded out in the audience.

I've heard most of the Live at Ronnie Scott's tunes on YouTube & it's great, everything is very audible. You get all the wonderfully nuanced tone shaping in each note he plays. When I saw Jeff in 2006 at the Greek Theater in LA the sound was well balanced, full, not too loud. It made sense & was a wonderful concert experience.

Scott Fraser

#2182581 - 04/19/10 10:33 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
Gifthorse Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Royal Oak
Scott, that SUCKS!! You are right, a good soundman with the right gear can make a crap band sound good. Doesn't mean their performances will be.

But my band in MI in the later years NEVER even got a soundczech, much less a decent mix. Me an my singer did when we played duet.

But that is men from the boys really. You either deliver the goods or regardless how good or bad you are--nobody knows.

I have seen Jeff Beck on late night TV before where not only did his tone BLOW, but the mix did too. Weird.

I dig him, he is a great role model for tone. And his early playing is SOO innovative. He was doing Eddie pick slides in 1968.

But that sucks you had to see a show like that. I have had that experience before with players I enjoyed hearing--but couldn't because of the drums and bass, but USUALLY the soundman becomes aware of it accordingly and switches it around.

Rap hip hop is dumbing down the consumer. As Caveman said music is shortening the yardstick, or barometer. That just makes marketing and controlling the music industry that much more calculated.

#2182585 - 04/19/10 10:43 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Scott Fraser]
GuitarPlayerFL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
When I saw Jeff in 2006 at the Greek Theater in LA the sound was well balanced, full, not too loud. It made sense & was a wonderful concert experience.

I would think there is pressure there to keep sound levels down since it's next to a residential neighborhood. And outside is usually much better. The Greek Theater usually has great sound.

Sorry to hear about the other horrible experience.

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

#2182601 - 04/19/10 11:35 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: GuitarPlayerFL]
G. A. Donis Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I was all ready and prepared to have my whole day ruined when I saw the title to this thread. JB is coming to Houston on the 24th and my band has a gig that night facepalm

I saw him several years ago at the House of Blues in New Orleans (Jennifer Batten was with him) and the sound was fine.

Is it worth sending an email to JB's management? Probably he was completely unaware that the mix out in the audience was crap. Too late for that show but maybe it could prevent later shows from having the same issue. I would bet that he would be upset if he knew people came away from one of his shows feeling like you do.

#2182609 - 04/19/10 11:56 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: G. A. Donis]
Larryz Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Each time I pull up to a traffic light and hear the boom boom boom de boom from 3 or 4 cars behind me with their windows rolled up, I wonder if this is really what the new sound of music is all about...is this what the new audiences want to hear? is this what the new sound engineers are going to think you want to hear out in the audience? God, I hope not...I hope the next generation travels with their own soundmen and learns to keep all instruments below the vocals and highlight the star of the show...sorry you had to sit through it Scott...

#2182642 - 04/19/10 01:41 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Larryz]
Fingerstyle_Jim Offline
Gold Member

And it's not like good sound can't be achieved in a big venue. Within a year of my above-mentioned 5440 bass/drums blowout in a respectable soft-seat theatre I saw Dire Straits in a huge hockey arena. I only went because I figured it would be my last chance to see this legendary band, dreading the idea that they would be in a hockey arena but I was amazed to find that the sound was excellent. We were way up in the cheap seats and we could hear every little twiddle Knopfler played, as well as all the other instruments. There was about 10 people onstage, keyboards, a couple of horns, a second guitarist and it was great. Oh, and Larryz, I recently crossed paths with one of those BOOM-BOOM cars at the gas pumps and while filling up I asked the guy if it was as loud inside the car as it was outside and he said it wasn't, and that he was as surprised as anybody about that.

Jim

#2182689 - 04/19/10 04:52 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Fingerstyle_Jim]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I am someone who enjoys the dance floor experience-in a dance club.
I don`t get the appeal of trying to recreate that in a car, especially with an accelerator under my foot-and a seat belt. How does that dance go, ZOOM-TANGLE-ZOOM-TANGLE?

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2182809 - 04/20/10 07:13 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: skipclone 1]
Gifthorse Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Royal Oak
Well, luckily I don't have to hear that BS anymore in Taipei. I am referring to the car stereos. People here don't do that, but the flipside is that EVERYONE listens to the most marketed dance/love song music.. GOD! The teenage boys don't want to learn to play rock guitar, they want to learn Dionne Warwick songs, or the Carpenters.

The only Western music marketed in Taiwan:

The Eagles, The Beatles, Air Supply (huge), The Carpenters, ABBA--sorry no way to turn one of the 'B' backwards..

Never heard of Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, or any other Western band.

The music here is their equivalent of American Chinese food. They basically take American/British music and make it Taiwanesized with Chinese or Taiwanese lyrics.

#2182823 - 04/20/10 07:59 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Gifthorse]
picker Offline
10k Club

Scott, you should try to contact Beck or his management or both and tell them about your experience. I'd bet they'd like to know about that sort of thing. And with the internet, facebook, yadda yadda, etc. it might not be that hard to make contact.

#2182826 - 04/20/10 08:04 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Gifthorse]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

From what I`ve seen it`s just as bad on the mainland, sappy ballads running loose everywehere. Sometimes a really good songwriter comes along, or one of the local singers makes a nice pop CD with some inported studio talent.
Between the two places the music scene here rocks, there`s a lot of corporate fluff but there`s a solid indie scene and some pretty good semi-mainstream sounds. You might like 9mm parabellum bullet, they have a straight ahead sound and rock pretty hard.

#2182900 - 04/20/10 10:57 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: skipclone 1]
picker Offline
10k Club

Hey, did Joss Stone put in an appearance?

#2182907 - 04/20/10 11:13 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: picker]
Larryz Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Fingerstyle Jim, I have to give you credit for asking the boom boom guy about the inside and outside car volumes...wish he would have let you test out the concept as I think maybe his low freaq's are blown out and he wouldn't know the difference...I've never been inside one of those babies but I can sure tell when they roll the windows down...

#2182971 - 04/20/10 01:41 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Larryz]
Fingerstyle_Jim Offline
Gold Member

Actually, the first thing he said was "WHAT?"(just kidding). I really think he was right, I would assume the body of the car is acting as a giant speaker cone of sorts for the outside world, while the inside gets what the actual speakers are delivering. Of course this is total speculation on my part.

Jim

#2183003 - 04/20/10 02:40 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: picker]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
Hey, did Joss Stone put in an appearance?

No, not in LA, no guest appearances.

Scott Fraser

#2183041 - 04/20/10 05:02 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Fingerstyle_Jim]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Fingerstyle_Jim
Actually, the first thing he said was "WHAT?"(just kidding). I really think he was right, I would assume the body of the car is acting as a giant speaker cone of sorts for the outside world, while the inside gets what the actual speakers are delivering. Of course this is total speculation on my part.

Jim

More likely his head is acting as a giant cone...

#2183270 - 04/21/10 11:43 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: skipclone 1]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't mind cars with loud music driving by. They're on the move, and you don't have to hear it long!

It's when my NEIGHBORS crank it up at 2 am that I object! But in these crackerbox apartments, it's almost louder in the next apartment than in your own. If there are kids playing normally on the floor above, it can sound like a herd of elephants.

Me? I play acoustic at home, because I really don't want to deal with neighbors bitching, even when the amp is only on 2 or so....

#2183441 - 04/21/10 07:48 PM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: Eric Iverson]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Band at that level all are fielded with about a dozen national touring sound reinforcement companies.
It's almost inconcievable that they sounded so bad but I have no reason at all to doubt your description, esp. when reinforced by Fingers.
That's a stunning disappointment.

It'll be easy to find out who the audio "culprits" are....however if also possible that some of the fault, re:the music, lies with arrangements or intent of the performers.

#2183571 - 04/22/10 07:58 AM Re: Saw Jeff Beck last night [Re: d / halfnote]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Band at that level all are fielded with about a dozen national touring sound reinforcement companies.

It's pretty unlikely that Beck is touring with PA. Springsteen, U2, Madonna, McCartney, etc carry PA & play arenas, but this is probably a tour hiring local systems, maybe carrying a desk & a bit of backline. LA doesn't lack for serious capable PA's.

Quote:
It's almost inconcievable that they sounded so bad but I have no reason at all to doubt your description, esp. when reinforced by Fingers.

The problem definitely was not any shortcoming of the PA. It was the result of conscious choices made at FOH. If I'd never heard sub bass pumped to that ridiculous level I'd say there was some problem with the system, however in this case it's an aesthetic decision to intentionally put that frequency range (a range occupied solely by the kick drum in Beck's band, even the bass wasn't down there,) into the foreground. It's bad aesthetics.

Quote:
That's a stunning disappointment.

I was certainly stunned, also disappointed.

Quote:
It'll be easy to find out who the audio "culprits" are...

Maybe. While it may be easy to lay blame solely on the FOH engineer, he may have had any number of people, promoter, manager, artist's wife, etc., shouting in his ear to "Pump up the energy."

Quote:
.however if also possible that some of the fault, re:the music, lies with arrangements or intent of the performers.

The arrangements leave a lot of space for the guitar & the sidemen (and sidegal) are very respectful about creating a supportive nest for Jeff's sound. There isn't really any competition for the frequency range he occupies. Jason Rebello's keyboard textures are mostly light & tinkly. Even his pads are thinned out & voiced out of the way of the guitar. This was really just inappropriate balancing at the mix stage. For example, it's very obvious from the timbre that Narada was playing the kick very quietly during the ballads, yet it was still overwhelming the mix, & only the engineer could bring that about.

Scott Fraser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose