Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2166176 - 02/19/10 07:15 AM Donít Piss Off the Bass Player!
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Not to make light, but I just found this on the newsÖ..

"Investigators are trying to determine whether Andrew Joseph Stack, the man identified by authorities as the pilot of the plane, is the same person as "Joe Stack," the name signed to the online rant that warns, "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

Edited by tonysounds (02/19/10 07:16 AM)

KC Island
#2166204 - 02/19/10 08:06 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Tonysounds]
MoodyBluesKeys Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
As a keyboardist who is also a bassist - I approve of the topic of this post!
rimshot
Jim

#2166206 - 02/19/10 08:07 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Meisenhower Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sausalito, CA & Detroit, MI
Well, better to be pissed off than . . . . well, you know the rest!

#2166253 - 02/19/10 09:44 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Meisenhower]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA
Y'know? This forum, and the bass players that sneak over here and post in it (you know who you are), wink are the first things I thought about when I saw that picture of that ashbowl and his bass guitar.

Excuse me. I probably should have said butt-head. I was looking for something more appropriate.

For crying out loud. Once again it's the silent types - those folks who you had no clue were so messed up - that do these sort of things.

I always wondered about software engineers. laugh

Edited by ITGITC? (02/19/10 05:20 PM)
Edit Reason: family forum and all...

#2166265 - 02/19/10 10:08 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ITGITC?]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So when the bass player starts making references to his "Manifesto", it's time to steer clear.

freak

Of course, firing him is only going to put you on his list.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2166269 - 02/19/10 10:21 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: misterdregs]
ProfD Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Here is more reason to get those LH bass chops up. There are plenty small synths available nowadays. No excuse. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2166318 - 02/19/10 12:44 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ProfD]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
You are all on my list...

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2166322 - 02/19/10 12:49 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Bottom End]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
That's a heck of a way to quit the band.

#2166382 - 02/19/10 05:22 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: David Loving]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Originally Posted By: daviel

Indubitably.

snax

#2166385 - 02/19/10 05:38 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ITGITC?]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: ITGITC?

Originally Posted By: daviel

Indubitably.

snax

...but not the best way to send in your tax return. freak

#2166388 - 02/19/10 06:03 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Sven Golly]
toad Offline

Loc: oklahoma
The guy I saw on fox News played Keyboards, He was the Pilot, looked like an organ clone on top in the video.

#2166402 - 02/19/10 07:52 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ITGITC?]
MidLifeCrisisģ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tampa, Fl

mad

#2166431 - 02/19/10 11:27 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: MidLifeCrisisģ]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
As a bassist who is also a keyboardist - I approve of the topic of this post!

I have no idea what it's about though. I haven't had time to check news this week. My housemate said there were three separate plane crashes. One really shouldn't fly a plane and play bass at the same time! There's something, uh, fundamentally wrong with that!

#2166452 - 02/20/10 06:20 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Byrdman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Milford, NH
That's the advantage of having the keyboard player cover the bass parts with his left hand - its hard to fly a plane with just your left hand.

#2166454 - 02/20/10 06:29 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Byrdman]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I saw these images on TV the other night and noticed the sign behind him.

#2166490 - 02/20/10 09:31 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Joe Muscara]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
The picture is clear but the sign is not:what's it say?

#2166496 - 02/20/10 09:40 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Tonysounds]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hippies use the back [or side] door? That's my guess - and another, I guess I am their back door man. This guy hisses me off. I have had my problems with the IRS, like a lot of people. He needed to just "man-up." Some people just have to get their own way or else. He reminds me of a saying we use in 'recovery': "I'll show them! I'll f--K me!".

#2166531 - 02/20/10 11:55 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ITGITC?]
kad Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Y'know? This forum, and the bass players that sneak over here and post in it (you know who you are), wink are the first things I thought about when I saw that picture of that ashbowl and his bass guitar.

Excuse me. I probably should have said butt-head. I was looking for something more appropriate.

For crying out loud. Once again it's the silent types - those folks who you had no clue were so messed up - that do these sort of things.

Holy $&*#, I'm a keyboard player, AND a bass player AND a software engineer!! taz I never realized how unstable I am - I'm scared... grin

#2166537 - 02/20/10 12:58 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: kad]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You're not a pilot are ya?

#2166543 - 02/20/10 01:43 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: David Loving]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm in the same category as kad.

I'm not a pilot, but my past two housemates are, my mom's first cousin, my long-deceased grandfather, and too many people who come in and out of the apartment for me to keep track of them all.

None of those pilots were also bassists, keyboardists, and/or software engineers. Perhaps THAT's the lethal combination?

#2166591 - 02/20/10 06:10 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Mark Schmieder]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
None of those pilots were also bassists, keyboardists, and/or software engineers. Perhaps THAT's the lethal combination?

Eureka! I just had an epiphany! idea

I just realized what I'm going to be this Halloween...

A bass playing pilot software engineer keyboard player wannabe! laugh

Pretty scary, right? evil

#2166599 - 02/20/10 06:50 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ITGITC?]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The weirdest pilot episode was in my neighbourhood (which is adjacent a popular regional airport) last year.

This guy was low-flying regularly, near the take-off and landing paths, and it was giving us all a fright. Turned out the guy's ex-girlfriend called the cops on the guy because he was stalking her after the break-up... by airplane! he kept buzzing her house.

Wouldn't you think someone who trains to be a pilot and puts the money into that and a private plane, would have it more together?

It's kind of like something out of Hitchcock...

#2166646 - 02/21/10 06:00 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: ITGITC?]
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder

Eureka! I just had an epiphany! idea

I just realized what I'm going to be this Halloween...

A bass playing pilot software engineer keyboard player wannabe! laugh

Pretty scary, right? evil

Tom, you have my permission to be me for Halloween; that is, if I can be you. wave

wink

My musical gear Blog

#2166653 - 02/21/10 07:15 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Steve Force]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Originally Posted By: forceman
Tom, you have my permission to be me for Halloween; that is, if I can be you. wave

wink

NO.

Think of all the children who would be permanently damaged by the fright. evil laugh

#2166721 - 02/21/10 02:29 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Tonysounds]
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Originally Posted By: tonysounds
The picture is clear but the sign is not:what's it say?
Yeah, daviel is right - "Hippies Use Side Door" A sign you would not be surprised to see in Austin!

#2167049 - 02/22/10 02:41 PM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Joe Muscara]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, "Hippies Use Back Door" could have other connotations...

#2167177 - 02/23/10 06:57 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Joe Muscara]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
"Hippies Use Side Door" A sign you would not be surprised to see in Austin!

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I visited Austin for the first time over Thanksgiving last year and was surprised at how tolerant the vibe was for Texas. It reminded me more of Breckenridge or Berkeley than Dallas or Houston.

#2167239 - 02/23/10 10:51 AM Re: Donít Piss Off the Bass Player! [Re: Wastrel]
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Wastrel
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I visited Austin for the first time over Thanksgiving last year and was surprised at how tolerant the vibe was for Texas. It reminded me more of Breckenridge or Berkeley than Dallas or Houston.
I'm not saying that Austin is intolerant, far from it. It's clearly the most liberal city in the state. I'm just saying that there are a lot of hippies in Austin and it's just kind of a joke there. smile

P.S. Houston has its hip, tolerant areas in town. You just have to know where they are. Hint, they are not in the sprawling suburbs.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner