Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2143825 - 12/15/09 10:42 AM Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable?
PhilippE123 Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
I've got plenty of balanced studio cables (TRS) lying around from the likes of Mogami to Monster etc, and when I am short a guitar cable I use them.

I've used them to plug my guitar into my amp, hook up pedals, and to record by going direct. While this works ok, is there any reason why this might be a bad idea as far as the sound quality goes? Am I better off sticking with strictly a guitar cable and why?

Thanks for any advice.

GP Island
#2143834 - 12/15/09 10:56 AM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: PhilippE123]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Y'know, it seems to me that as long as the small spacer in between the "ring" and "sleeve" of the TRS plugs doesn't present a poor connection for the ground contact-tab of a given 1/4" TS jack, it shouldn't be a problem, really. If you don't hear any extra noise, hum, interference, then I'd say if it works, it's more or less OK.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2143836 - 12/15/09 11:02 AM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No problem at all.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2143996 - 12/15/09 02:40 PM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
PhilippE123 Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
thanks for the hep guys.

#2144008 - 12/15/09 03:13 PM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: PhilippE123]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Hep?

I haven't heard that for about 30 years!

G.

#2145514 - 12/20/09 02:24 AM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: The Geoff]
Mike Peralta Offline

Loc: Orange, California
As far as I know, the balanced cables are really nothing more than stereo cables.... since being balanced basically means two copies of the signal get sent down the cable (1 normal, 1 inverted). So since your guitar is just outputting mono, the cable itself will carry it in mono, just not using one of the paths that's all.

#2145598 - 12/20/09 10:04 AM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: Mike Peralta]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mike Peralta
As far as I know, the balanced cables are really nothing more than stereo cables.... since being balanced basically means two copies of the signal get sent down the cable (1 normal, 1 inverted). So since your guitar is just outputting mono, the cable itself will carry it in mono, just not using one of the paths that's all.

without a TRS jack, no contact will be made to the ring connection. If anything -is- touching the ring connection, it would be the sleeve, so that would be the minus signal. again, no problem.

Steve Martin

#2145610 - 12/20/09 11:39 AM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
It should work OK on the majority of guitars (and basses). If you have active pickups, they may use a jack that is wired so that the connection between ring and sleeve is used to turn on the battery (most stompboxes use this type of wiring also).

In that case, the circuit will not be made to turn on the battery, and it will not work. It could be made to work by shorting the ring to ground (but the cable would then be unusable as a balanced cable).
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2145624 - 12/20/09 12:21 PM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Welcome aboard Mike Peralta....

#2145645 - 12/20/09 01:08 PM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MoodyBluesKeys
It should work OK on the majority of guitars (and basses). If you have active pickups, they may use a jack that is wired so that the connection between ring and sleeve is used to turn on the battery (most stompboxes use this type of wiring also).

In that case, the circuit will not be made to turn on the battery, and it will not work. It could be made to work by shorting the ring to ground (but the cable would then be unusable as a balanced cable).

Depends. If the physical action of the insertion of the plug pushes the ring tab back to force it into contact with the sleeve tab, (as so many switchcraft all metal bodied jacks operate) then it will work. If it works a different way (one of the plastic housing jacks) then I'm not sure. I realize that I'm talking about a switching jack, not a three wire jack, but that is what -should- be used for switching.

Steve Martin

#2145687 - 12/20/09 05:27 PM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Quote:
I realize that I'm talking about a switching jack, not a three wire jack, but that is what -should- be used for switching.

Absolutely ..... key word being _should_ Not sure about most recent equipment, most of the vintage stuff I ever worked on just used the Switchcraft metal style - some of them occasionally would use a switched type, most seemed to use the stereo - probably a bean counter decided the few cents more that the switch type cost was reason to go with the cheaper jack.
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2145695 - 12/20/09 05:47 PM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Good call, MBK; a "stereo" jack is, in fact, what is typically used with active EMG pickups, working as you describe, and not a specific "switching" jack.

As such, I guess that a balanced TRS cable/plug could be a problem with most guitars that have active EMG pickups.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2146355 - 12/22/09 10:47 AM Re: Can I use a balanced cable as guitar cable? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Not trying to derail this thread but quick question for MBK, do you have any idea what a Kurzweil SP88 Stage Piano might be worth these days?

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose