Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2143465 - 12/14/09 05:31 PM Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist?
Peter Schankman Offline

Hi everyone. I posted around a month ago looking for help with keyboard amps and it seems that there isn't one to my liking. The far better choice is to get a PA. The QSC K10s and 12s were brought to my intention, but after putting in some research into the Bose L1 Compact, i'm not sure. I'm planning on getting a small yamaha mixer so i can plug more boards/mics in. What do you think?

KC Island
#2143473 - 12/14/09 05:57 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: Peter Schankman]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I would say it depends squarely on the venue and arrangement you will have when using it.

I was never a big proponent of the Bose sticks. But I've sat in with my buddy's church group a few times when he needed a sub. He runs 2 sticks with the subs for his whole church, which meets in half of a school gymnasium. He runs keys, electric drums, bass, guitar, and a few vocals through them, and they do just fine.

Now, it's not club level thumping high quaility sound. It's adequate sound quality and volume for that atmosphere. I think it would be good for coffee houses, small bars, and even larger venues where it doesn't have to to be very strong. I wouldn't use it for dance music or heavy rock for instance. But an "acoustic" thing, light jazz, it could work in a decent sized place.

Sound-wise, it's like everything else Bose. lot's of mid, no highs, boomy bass that at a glance seems impressive, but lacks the extreme low end. Impressive for what it is, but doesn't measure up to any of the sound systems I've used in any of my bands over the last 18 years. Expensive, but then again, you don't need monitors. Of course, that also means that the entire band as well as the crowd has to be happy with ONE mix.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2143496 - 12/14/09 06:59 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: J. Dan]
Peter Schankman Offline

well that answers my question. Thanks.

#2143582 - 12/14/09 10:38 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: Peter Schankman]
Boney Mounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Plus a pair of K12s will run you $1400; one L1 will run about $2500?

#2143584 - 12/14/09 10:46 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: Boney Mounds]
Peter Schankman Offline

nah, the L1 compact is only around 900

#2143615 - 12/15/09 02:55 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: Peter Schankman]
bhodaway10 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Montunoman just bought an l1 compact. He uses it with a tyros and runs vocals through it too.

For what it's worth, my sax player and I compared the compact to one k8. The compact sounded better albeit only with an iPod through it. We also loved the look of the Bose vs a powered speaker on a pole. I'm almost certain the bigger k10 or k12 will sound as good or better than the Bose although we couldn't compare them back to back.

#2143620 - 12/15/09 03:59 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: bhodaway10]
Jeff_D_in_MD Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
I just got a K10 and I love it. The sound is great, the build solid, the appearance professional. You can stand it vertically, use it as a wedge, or put it on a pole. You can mix two keyboards (or keyboard + mic or RCA) through it. You can send the mixed signal to FOH or to another powered speaker. You can use it just as a keyboard amp, or as one component in a multi-speaker setup.

#2143646 - 12/15/09 06:07 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: Jeff_D_in_MD]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
I played a loud rock gig last night with my pair of K8s (e. guitar, e. bass, drums, 1 other keyboardist, my XK-3/Leslie and VSTs running through the K8s). Very loud room and lots of stage volume. I could hear everything I played perfectly!

#2143683 - 12/15/09 07:09 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: davinwv]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
80's-LZ hit the nail on the head. It depends on what kind of music you are playing and the size of the venue. A few years ago I heard an acoustic guitar player that also put his vocals through the L1 system. One bass cabinet and one stick. It gives you a "surround" sound type of system. That's nice in a smaller acoustic environment when you don't want to use directional speaker cabinets that have to be pointed at somebody or somewhere in the room. The down side of that is, when the room started to fill up, I couldn't hear the guy that was playing and singing. The sound got swallowed up by the people that absorbed the sound. As previously stated, its great for a coffee house or a church, but that's where it ends. I think its too much money for what it is too.

Mike T.

#2143717 - 12/15/09 08:00 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: MikeT156]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I would prefer the QSC for pretty much any application, and that's an understatement. A huuuuuuge understatement.

#2143724 - 12/15/09 08:10 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: MikeT156]
VLH Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: MikeT156
80's-LZ hit the nail on the head. It depends on what kind of music you are playing and the size of the venue. A few years ago I heard an acoustic guitar player that also put his vocals through the L1 system. One bass cabinet and one stick. It gives you a "surround" sound type of system. That's nice in a smaller acoustic environment when you don't want to use directional speaker cabinets that have to be pointed at somebody or somewhere in the room. The down side of that is, when the room started to fill up, I couldn't hear the guy that was playing and singing. The sound got swallowed up by the people that absorbed the sound. As previously stated, its great for a coffee house or a church, but that's where it ends. I think its too much money for what it is too.
Mike T.

I had a different experience with the Bose when listening to a jazz trio plus vocalist at a large restaurant--a place where the ceiling was open to about 15 feet but there were a lot of "half barriers" that went up 7 feet or so. The vocalist went through the older Bose stick (the original L1 with that semicircular stand). Keyboard was through some sort of Roland amp, and I can't remember what the bass was through. I could hear the vocalist no matter where I walked in the restaurant, but the bass and keyboard quickly dropped off maybe 25 feet from the stage. The quality of the vocalist's tone was good but compressed somehow. Still, I was impressed with the way the vocals reached everywhere without being overwhelming--it seemed to be about the same volume near the stage as it was far back by the kitchen area. It meant that if you were sitting 50 ft away and you wanted to listen, you could hear her singing, but if you wanted to talk, you could talk without raising your voice. That's close to ideal for a lot jazz performance settings. But I don't know how it would have worked for bass or keyboard--I wish they had sent a line out into that system. Very interesting that the dedicated keyboard and bass amps had such a short throw AND such variable volume.

Note that this is not a noisy club type atmosphere--it's a restaurant, so most voices were at conversation level. Bass-thumping, gut churning volume was obviously not the goal. And, it's one location, one night. I would need to hear it in some other settings to know more. Finally, it's the Bose L1, not the L1 compact, which is smaller.

Actually, that same vocalist is doing six tunes with a group I'm in tonight, and I'll try to remember to ask her more about the system.

Edited by VLH (12/15/09 08:11 AM)

#2143822 - 12/15/09 10:40 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: VLH]
montunoman Online   content
Gold Member

Peter, what kind of music are going to do? I was deciding between the QSC and the Bose Compact. I ended up with the Compact and I'm very happy with it. However the QSC is great and I'd like a pair for louder gig where there is space for speakers on a poles. I play solo at restaurants where space is extreamly limited and the owner is very uptight. If I'd bring in some speakers on a pole to the places I play I'd be out of a gig soon.

#2143931 - 12/15/09 12:48 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: montunoman]
Peter Schankman Offline

i'm a jazz pianist primarily in which I'd only run my s90-ES. Those venues are mostly restaurants and small clubs. However, I also play in bands that have even larger venues and will utilize multiple keyboards. I really need something that's flexible.

#2143945 - 12/15/09 01:08 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: Peter Schankman]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: North America
My experience testing the first Bose poles with Roland keyboards:

For mono, or for lower resolution piano sounds (an older Roland fp5), it works VERY well. I thought it sounded excellent.

For newer stereo high resolution piano samples (like the Roland FP4/FP7/SX/GX series), it sounds brittle, harsh and synthetic.

I'd imagine the same holds true for Yamaha keyboards in mono or stereo.

#2143972 - 12/15/09 01:54 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact or QSC K10 for keyboardist? [Re: SK]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Regarding coverage, two important points:

1) The Bose stick will give wider coverage which should be considered for the type of room you'll be playing, maybe this is better, maybe not. Do you want to fill the whole room or focus the energy on a dance floor?

2) Being a sort of line array technology, over most of it's range, the sound will decay 3dB every time you double the distance as opposed to 6dB for a conventional speaker. Again, this could be good or bad. Generally it's good because you can have more even volume throughout the room instead of loud spots. But again, you may want it to be loud on the dance floor and quiet at the bar.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner