Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2115665 - 09/14/09 11:45 AM Converting headphone out to line out
notstevieRAY Offline

I am looking to use the 1/4" stereo headphone out jack on my Crate GLX15 amp to patch to a line out to a mixer board. Do I have to do some signal conversion to match the normal line out signal? Or, can this be done with a simple "Y" cable to convert from Stereo to Mono? I am hoping that I can still use the speaker out function on the amp to drive a small cabinet so I can use the amp's output for a monitor at the same time. Can this be done?

GP Island
#2115678 - 09/14/09 12:30 PM Re: Converting headphone out to line out [Re: notstevieRAY]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I've seen it done with Walkman tape players and CD players. With them it's all a matter of setting the volume level so it doesn't distort. These days, a lot of mixers have RCA inputs for just that sort of hookup. usually, it's a stereo setup with a red & white RCA for the two channels.
Do you have any control over the output level of the headphone out other than turning the amp up or down? It can be done very easily if you do. If not,, you might be able to balance the level of the headphone out by jockeying the channel and master volume levels. If you can get a signal out of the headphone output that is the right level, or if you can attenuate the input level of whatever you're putting it through somehow, it can be done.

#2115680 - 09/14/09 12:39 PM Re: Converting headphone out to line out [Re: notstevieRAY]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: notstevieRAY
I am looking to use the 1/4" stereo headphone out jack on my Crate GLX15 amp to patch to a line out to a mixer board. Do I have to do some signal conversion to match the normal line out signal? Or, can this be done with a simple "Y" cable to convert from Stereo to Mono? I am hoping that I can still use the speaker out function on the amp to drive a small cabinet so I can use the amp's output for a monitor at the same time. Can this be done?

I'm not sure what you want to do, because you are asking about connecting an output to an output. No, that usually cannot be done.

When it comes to your amp headphone output, often those are switched jacks, which turn off the speaker whenever you insert a headphone plug.

From an artistic standpoint, most of us like to get a little of the sound of the speaker into our signal, and sometimes a little room ambiance, too.

There are speaker level direct boxes which will allow you to take the speaker output of your amplifier and plug it into a mic level input.

There are several other ways to take the speaker level signal and pad it down so that it does not overload the inputs of a console or recorder. But to determine and price these would be dependent upon knowing the power output of the amp.

All in all, it looks easier and cheaper just to mic the amp.

Can you give us some more information?

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2116141 - 09/15/09 08:22 PM Re: Converting headphone out to line out [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
notstevieRAY Offline

Yeah, I guess I was not clear. During live performance, I want to use the small amp as a personal (on-stage) monitor, while patching into a mixer board from the amp at the same time. I like getting some controlled feedback through the amp while doing some "muted picking". The problem is that the amp does not have a "line out" jack, just the stereo headphone output and an external "speaker out" jack. I discovered that I do have output from both the headphone jack and the external speaker jack at the same time (i.e. neither one switches off the other). Can I use the "headphone out" as a "line out" to the board, while I use the "speaker out" to drive another cabinet for my monitor? Is there a problem with impedance or something? It's a 30 Watt Amp and the speaker output is 4 ohms.

#2116235 - 09/16/09 07:41 AM Re: Converting headphone out to line out [Re: notstevieRAY]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The headphone output is stereo. This in itself is not an issue. It is not uncommon for people to just plug in a mono cord and short one half of the signal to ground. But as most Direct Boxes have two 1/4" jacks wired in parallel, it would be simple enough to make or buy a wye cable to take the left and right outputs of the headphone output, and plug both of them into the same direct box.

The headphone output is independent of the power amp output, so you do not need to worry about any interaction there. Yes, you can run the power amp to a speaker, and the headphone out to the PA. If the PA mixer is within 20 feet of your amp, you can go into a line input on the mixer. If not, I highly suggest a direct box.

Side issue... MOST headphone outputs suck, sonically. I'd still just mic the amp.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2116244 - 09/16/09 08:11 AM Re: Converting headphone out to line out [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
Chunk Offline

Loc: Utah

*Bob Seger

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose